Second Drive on a Laptop to Recover Data?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Meyerson, Aug 14, 2007.

  1. I need to recover about 20 Gbytes of (not backed up) data on a hard
    drive which will no longer boot.

    The drive is in a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. Dell is sending a new
    drive (and fan) and a technician to install it.

    I was able to view the data and copy it to a 2 Gbyte USB stick by
    using an XP_bootable DVD I created using Bart's PE-Builder (found the
    internet site to do this). So I could recover 2 GB at a time if I have
    to.

    I tried to attach my 40Gb USB external hard drive, but couldn't read
    it using the bootable DVD. Also, I was not able to connect it to my
    LAN, which would have easily done the job.

    If I could attach the non-bootable drive to the laptop as a second
    drive, after the new drive is installed, I could recover all the data
    easily. Is this possible?

    TIA
    Steve M.

    Steve Meyerson, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Steve Meyerson

    meerkat Guest

    "Steve Meyerson" <> wrote in message
    >I need to recover about 20 Gbytes of (not backed up) data on a hard
    > drive which will no longer boot.
    >
    > The drive is in a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. Dell is sending a new
    > drive (and fan) and a technician to install it.
    >
    > I was able to view the data and copy it to a 2 Gbyte USB stick by
    > using an XP_bootable DVD I created using Bart's PE-Builder (found the
    > internet site to do this). So I could recover 2 GB at a time if I have
    > to.
    >
    > I tried to attach my 40Gb USB external hard drive, but couldn't read
    > it using the bootable DVD. Also, I was not able to connect it to my
    > LAN, which would have easily done the job.
    >
    > If I could attach the non-bootable drive to the laptop as a second
    > drive, after the new drive is installed, I could recover all the data
    > easily. Is this possible?

    One option, is to buy a USB external 2.5in. case, and stick the
    drive in it.
    One example here...
    http://www.meritline.com/usb-hard-disk-enclosure-black-25.html

    bw..

    meerkat, Aug 14, 2007

  3. Steve Meyerson

    Dogpoop Guest

    Steve Meyerson wrote:
    > I need to recover about 20 Gbytes of (not backed up) data on a hard
    > drive which will no longer boot.
    >
    > The drive is in a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. Dell is sending a new
    > drive (and fan) and a technician to install it.
    >
    > I was able to view the data and copy it to a 2 Gbyte USB stick by
    > using an XP_bootable DVD I created using Bart's PE-Builder (found the
    > internet site to do this). So I could recover 2 GB at a time if I have
    > to.
    >
    > I tried to attach my 40Gb USB external hard drive, but couldn't read
    > it using the bootable DVD. Also, I was not able to connect it to my
    > LAN, which would have easily done the job.
    >
    > If I could attach the non-bootable drive to the laptop as a second
    > drive, after the new drive is installed, I could recover all the data
    > easily. Is this possible?

    Yes, you just need an appropriate adaptor.

    --
    Dog Poop

    Stand by me,

    Dogpoop, Aug 14, 2007
  4. On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:10:47 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >One option, is to buy a USB external 2.5in. case, and stick the
    >drive in it.
    >One example here...
    >http://www.meritline.com/usb-hard-disk-enclosure-black-25.html
    >
    >bw..

    This looks like exactly what I need - and it's cheap ($9.99)! Thanks
    Steve

    Steve Meyerson, Aug 14, 2007
  5. Steve Meyerson

    WhzzKdd Guest

    >I need to recover about 20 Gbytes of (not backed up) data on a hard
    > drive which will no longer boot.
    >
    > The drive is in a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. Dell is sending a new
    > drive (and fan) and a technician to install it.
    >
    > I was able to view the data and copy it to a 2 Gbyte USB stick by
    > using an XP_bootable DVD I created using Bart's PE-Builder (found the
    > internet site to do this). So I could recover 2 GB at a time if I have
    > to.
    >
    > I tried to attach my 40Gb USB external hard drive, but couldn't read
    > it using the bootable DVD. Also, I was not able to connect it to my
    > LAN, which would have easily done the job.
    >
    > If I could attach the non-bootable drive to the laptop as a second
    > drive, after the new drive is installed, I could recover all the data
    > easily. Is this possible?
    >
    > TIA
    > Steve M.

    Fast and free: use a live Linux distro CD - have your external drive
    attached, then boot from that. I've done it with Knoppix Live. Should work,
    unless your external drive uses some odd drivers.

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    WhzzKdd, Aug 14, 2007
  6. On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:42:39 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >Fast and free: use a live Linux distro CD - have your external drive
    >attached, then boot from that. I've done it with Knoppix Live. Should work,
    >unless your external drive uses some odd drivers.
    >http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    Thanks. The laptop got its new hard drive. I ordered an HDD enclosure
    (USB) and hope I can simply copy from old to new. If not, I'll try
    your suggestion.

    Curious - why would I have to boot from the external drive if I'm
    using a bootable CD? - or perhaps you do mean boot from CD.

    Steve.

    Steve Meyerson, Aug 15, 2007
  7. Steve Meyerson

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:42:39 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >>Fast and free: use a live Linux distro CD - have your external drive
    >>attached, then boot from that. I've done it with Knoppix Live. Should
    >>work,
    >>unless your external drive uses some odd drivers.
    >>http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    > Thanks. The laptop got its new hard drive. I ordered an HDD enclosure
    > (USB) and hope I can simply copy from old to new. If not, I'll try
    > your suggestion.
    >
    > Curious - why would I have to boot from the external drive if I'm
    > using a bootable CD? - or perhaps you do mean boot from CD.

    Right - yes, boot from the CD, then Linux can read the internal HD, copying
    to the external USB drive. Sorry I didn't make that more clear <g>

    But once your new drive has XP installed, the enclosure idea works great if
    the drive is functional. I actually have 2 or 3 of those in use at any given
    time. I use one for backups on the PCs before I do upgrades to the software,
    I have one for all my favorite utilities and stuff (sometimes, a flash drive
    just isn't big enough). And there's an extra box in storage for use if one
    of the laptops at work has a brain fart (that enclosure is IDE or SATA, so
    it covers the old and the new systems.)

    WhzzKdd, Aug 15, 2007