    How much performance improvement would be realized by adding a second
    PIII Xeon 550 MHz processor to a motherboard that presently has just
    one?
    mcp6453, May 30, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Duane Arnold Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > How much performance improvement would be realized by adding a second
    > PIII Xeon 550 MHz processor to a motherboard that presently has just
    > one?

    It would be probably none, unless you were an Actuarial in an insurance
    company that needed that kind of horse power to crunch numbers on long
    calculation processing using databases. And I mean a program that's
    crunching numbers for hours.

    http://www.insightbb.com/external/search.asp?
    q=need+for+dual+processors+on+a+computer&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%
    2Fsearch&btnG.x=32&btnG.y=20

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, May 30, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Hamman Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > How much performance improvement would be realized by adding a second
    > PIII Xeon 550 MHz processor to a motherboard that presently has just
    > one?

    If you are running a multi-thread capable program then a major difference.
    Such a thing would be Lightwave, Maya, or database servers.

    On the desktop you would notice very little. Another component is likely to
    be a limiting factor, most likely the SDRAM or the HDD.

    These days, a P3X 550 isnt that much in processing terms, but if its cheap
    you might as well go for it.

    hamman
    Hamman, May 30, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    Zero, unless your apps supports MP's.

    Michael-NC, May 30, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Jim Berwick Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > How much performance improvement would be realized by adding a second
    > PIII Xeon 550 MHz processor to a motherboard that presently has just
    > one?

    Depending on what OS and apps you are using, anywhere between -5% to 50%
    performance difference. Post more info.
    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in news:wHruc.6540$2o.265399
    @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    > Zero, unless your apps supports MP's.

    Not /entirely/ true. On my DP machine I saw an advantage in ripping music.
    It only used 1 processor to convert .wav to .mp3, but while it was doing
    that it was continuing to rip to .wav from the CD. Overall though, like I
    said, -5% if all your apps are single threaded, 0% if you don't have an SMP
    aware OS, 50% tops if your OS and apps love SMP.
    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in news:wHruc.6540$2o.265399
    > @twister.southeast.rr.com:
    >
    > > Zero, unless your apps supports MP's.
    > >

    > Not /entirely/ true. On my DP machine I saw an advantage in ripping

    music.
    > It only used 1 processor to convert .wav to .mp3, but while it was doing
    > that it was continuing to rip to .wav from the CD. Overall though, like I
    > said, -5% if all your apps are single threaded, 0% if you don't have an

    SMP
    > aware OS, 50% tops if your OS and apps love SMP.

    I've read that there is a smoothness to a MP machine while multitasking.
    That said, most apps and games will just ignore the other CPU. Unless your
    using apps that can use MP's and you're getting paid to produce output, a MP
    machine is not a good choice, in a business environment that will be a ROI
    involved.

    With advent of PCI Express, on-die memory controllers and Hyper-threading on
    the Intel side, there's plenty of computing power for the desktop user
    without having to consider a multi-processor machine.
    Michael-NC, May 31, 2004
  8. mcp6453

    derek / nul Guest

    totally wrong, IF the OS supports MP

    First app runs on cpu zero second app runs on cpu 1, the applications do not
    have to be MP aware.

    derek / nul, May 31, 2004
  9. What OS is this, if you are running any 9x OS, or XP Home Edition it won't
    work. I would probably save the money on the new processor and get more RAM
    instead.

    Andrew Watiker, May 31, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    > totally wrong, IF the OS supports MP

    Natch... I should have mentioned the OS. IMHO, the only compelling reason to
    run a MP machine is where there is a ROI and this only occurs in a business
    environment. That's my general opinion, in the case of the OP, I would not
    even consider the option. A new motherboard with a XP1600 would provide far
    superior performance and still have headroom for future upgrades. Cost of
    around 110.00 makes it a no-brainer.

    > First app runs on cpu zero second app runs on cpu 1, the applications do

    not
    > have to be MP aware.

    I mentioned that multitasking would benefit in a later post. I still believe
    the OP would be very disappointed with performance gain of an additional
    CPU.

    Michael-NC, May 31, 2004