    priority.

    I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.
    Jason W, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Mt Ranier, The sound, ocean, rain forests....lots of stuff.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Jason W

    Bryce Guest

    You could go to the locks in Ballard.

    There's some good picture stuff there, or Fremont maybe?

    Bryce, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Jason W wrote:
    > The first priority would be spectacular scenery. Wildlife photography
    > opportunities would be nice but wonderful scenery is the major
    > priority.
    >
    > I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    > the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.

    Downtown has a lot, don't miss the market.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Jason W

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:22:30 -0500, Jason W wrote:

    > The first priority would be spectacular scenery. Wildlife photography
    > opportunities would be nice but wonderful scenery is the major
    > priority.
    >
    > I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    > the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.

    I suggest you drive up to Paradise Lodge on Mt Rainier. That gets you 6,000
    ft up a 14,000 ft mountain, and you can hike to glaciers or the snow line
    from there quite easily. If you haven't seen *big* mountains before, this
    is quite an experience.

    Spectacular scenery on the way up, and you're likely to run into a wildlife
    bonus if you keep your eyes open.

    Of course if it's cloudy -- which it often is except in mid-summer --
    you'll have to find something lower down. You can check out the mountain
    right at the airport. Just look to the SSE.

    HTH
    Pete, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Jason W

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "Jason W" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    > the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.

    Highland drive. Postcards are shot from there ;)

    <http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/seattle/viewpoints/kerry.htm>

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    http://cpicture.de/en
    Jürgen Eidt, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Jason W

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > Mt Ranier, The sound, ocean, rain forests....lots of stuff.
    >
    > "Jason W" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The first priority would be spectacular scenery. Wildlife photography
    >>opportunities would be nice but wonderful scenery is the major
    >>priority.
    >>
    >>I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    >>the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.

    Just about ANYWHERE within 100 miles of Seattle. Victoria, B.C. is
    fabulous. The Olympic Penisula is beautiful. Seattle is a very diverse
    and interesting city, and south to the Oregon border is the Columbia
    River, which is beautiful from the ocean to just east of Hood River.
    If you want a taste of the area try the pictures at:
    http://www.webshots.com/search?new=1&source=dailypop&query=rphunter42

    Enjoy.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 22, 2004
  8. When I was 17 I was too young for Viet Nam so I was stationed in Ft Lewis
    for a few months to age....by the time I was 18 we were pulling back from
    the Nam and I was sent to Europe....where I first got serious about
    photography... but anyway...

    I spent a lot of time on camp outs....or as the army likes to call
    them....war games....so I saw a lot of forests that were great....there was
    the volcanic hill that we could see when it was not raining....so rarely the
    case. The Sound was great looking but as a California boy I thought I could
    swim anywhere....no knowing there was a glacier around the bend! I know the
    North Coast of California so I expect that the coast of Washington looks as
    good.

    Right....everytime you turn around there is another shot....but don't take
    our word for it. Find your own views....not the ones others find for you.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 22, 2004
  9. Jason W

    Dave Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > > Mt Ranier, The sound, ocean, rain forests....lots of stuff.
    > >
    > > "Jason W" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>The first priority would be spectacular scenery. Wildlife photography
    > >>opportunities would be nice but wonderful scenery is the major
    > >>priority.
    > >>
    > >>I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    > >>the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.
    > >>

    > Just about ANYWHERE within 100 miles of Seattle. Victoria, B.C. is
    > fabulous. The Olympic Penisula is beautiful. Seattle is a very diverse
    > and interesting city, and south to the Oregon border is the Columbia
    > River, which is beautiful from the ocean to just east of Hood River.
    > If you want a taste of the area try the pictures at:
    > http://www.webshots.com/search?new=1&source=dailypop&query=rphunter42
    >
    > Enjoy.

    Hi, Jason!
    Well, I certainly agree with Ron's suggestions about the Great Northwest.
    However, if you want vantage points around Seattle and Tacoma from which to
    enjoy your photographic skills, among my favorites are listed below. All of
    these, with the exception of Mt. Rainier, are within an hour's drive of Sea
    Tac Airport, most less. If you pick some of these, and want specific
    directions, send me a note. I have lived between Seattle and Tacoma all my
    life and can provide you with good suggestions on places to eat and visit as
    well.

    Enjoy!

    -- Dave

    Seattle area
    Alki Beach and Park
    http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/alki.htm

    Bhy Kracke Park
    http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/bhykracke.htm

    Gas Works Park
    http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/GASWORKS.htm

    Golden Gardens Park & Shilshoal Bay Marina
    http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/Golden.htm

    Lincoln Park
    http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/Lincoln.htm

    Magnolia Park
    http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/magnoliapark.htm

    Washington State Ferries
    http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/
    All the ferries offer great views of water, mountains, scenery [most
    days ;) ]. Sunsets from a ferry are inspiring.

    Woodland Park Zoo
    http://www.zoo.org/

    Between Seattle and Tacoma
    Brown's Point Lighthouse Park
    http://www.angelfire.com/va3/keepthelightsshining/Washington/BrownsPointLight.html

    Dash Point State Park
    http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Dash Point&pageno=1

    Salt Water State Park
    http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Saltwater&pageno=1

    Tacoma area
    Ruston Way
    http://www.nortac.com/ruston/images/rustonway.htm

    Point Defiance Park and Zoo
    http://www.pdza.org/
    Make sure to drive, bike, or walk 5 Mile Drive through the park.
    There are several vistas which offer great photo ops! One of our favorite
    spots is Owens Beach, which is popular with and well suited for
    picnic-goers.

    Mt. Rainier National Park
    http://www.nps.gov/mora/
    http://www.guestservices.com/rainier/index.html
    http://www.mount.rainier.national-park.com/
    Dave, Sep 22, 2004
  10. In article <>, Dave
    <> wrote:

    > Hi, Jason!
    > Well, I certainly agree with Ron's suggestions about the Great Northwest.
    > However, if you want vantage points around Seattle and Tacoma from which to
    > enjoy your photographic skills, among my favorites are listed below. All of
    > these, with the exception of Mt. Rainier, are within an hour's drive of Sea
    > Tac Airport, most less. If you pick some of these, and want specific
    > directions, send me a note. I have lived between Seattle and Tacoma all my
    > life and can provide you with good suggestions on places to eat and visit as
    > well.

    If I only had a couple of days here, I probably wouldn't come to the
    Aberdeen area. But the Lake Quinault area is nice.
    Mount Rainier is still accessible and should be largely devoid of
    tourists this time of year.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 22, 2004
  11. Jason W

    ZONED! Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:22:30 -0500, Jason W <> wrote:

    >The first priority would be spectacular scenery. Wildlife photography
    >opportunities would be nice but wonderful scenery is the major
    >priority.
    >
    >I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    >the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.

    I like Ranier Natl. park...(forgive the quality) about 2 hours from
    Seatac airport.
    http://www.innovative-imagery.com/photos/moonover.jpg
    http://www.innovative-imagery.com/photos/farmount.jpg
    http://www.innovative-imagery.com/photos/falls.jpg
    http://www.innovative-imagery.com/photos/clowide.jpg
    However, the market on Pike street downtown has some great color...
    or Alkai beach dusk and later for a decent skyline shot.
    ZONED!, Sep 22, 2004
  12. Jason W

    peter Guest

    I suggest you search google images and other photo places like image banks,
    web albums, etc for "seattle". This would give you a quick idea of what
    people shoot in seattle and perhaps you would see something you like.

    The most photographed landmark in Seattle is probably the Space Needle.
    Others are Mt. Rainier, Pike Place market, Mt. St. Helen (it is smoking now
    and may erupt)...

    -peter

    peter, Nov 12, 2004
  13. Jason W

    C J Campbell Guest

    > "Jason W" <> wrote in message
    > > The first priority would be spectacular scenery. Wildlife photography
    > > opportunities would be nice but wonderful scenery is the major
    > > priority.
    > >
    > > I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    > > the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.

    Check out the waterfront, the ferries (in fact, ride the ferry to Bainbridge
    or Bremerton and back), Pike Place Market, Seattle Center (Space Needle,
    Science Center, etc.), Alki Point, Golden Gardens and the beach there,
    Gasworks Park at Lake Union, etc. There are many shorebirds on the beaches,
    as well as a huge variety of marine life.

    You can drive east on I-90 to Issaquah, North Bend, and Snoqualmie Pass and
    the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area in less than two hours. The Alpine Lakes
    area will not have many open trails at this time of year, but you might be
    able to get back to some of the waterfalls. Dress warmly, take the ten
    essentials, and be prepared for anything from bears to sudden heavy
    snowfall.

    Many places offer spectacular views of Mount Rainier -- when it is not
    obscured by clouds. Try late afternoon or sunset. Mount Rainier National
    Park is within a few hours and offers much in the way of wildlife
    photography; the deer are almost tame. The Nisqually Glacier and the Grove
    of the Patriarchs are worth visiting. You have a good chance of
    photographing eagles in the area.

    You might try chartering a small plane at Boeing Field or (shameless plug)
    with me at Tacoma Narrows -- I work for PAVCO Aviation 800-645-3563. I just
    posted a photo of Mt. Saint Helens over on alt.binaries.photos.original,
    just to show you what is possible, although if I am flying the plane I can
    get you a lot closer and also get you a plane with a window that opens.
    Alternatively, a light plane can get you some spectacular views of Elliott
    Bay, the Olympic Mountains, and several other areas.
    C J Campbell, Nov 12, 2004
  14. Back in college days where I first started take classes in Photography we
    all had a good laugh at a photo post card called Moon Over Seatle that was a
    daylight photo with a moon....the needle....and a killer whale in some body
    of water out front. Very touristy....try for that shot....or just buy the
    post card if it still exists.
    Gene Palmiter, Nov 12, 2004
  15. Jason W

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:17:32 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >Back in college days where I first started take classes in Photography we
    >all had a good laugh at a photo post card called Moon Over Seatle that was a
    >daylight photo with a moon....the needle....and a killer whale in some body
    >of water out front. Very touristy....try for that shot....or just buy the
    >post card if it still exists.

    Just curious if you have ever been to Seattle.
    ZONED!, Nov 12, 2004
  16. "C J Campbell"

    > > "Jason W"
    > > > I only have 2 days to do this so anything within a few hours drive of
    > > > the Seattle airport would be optimal. Thanks for any advice.

    > Check out the waterfront, the ferries (in fact, ride the ferry to Bainbridge
    > or Bremerton and back), Pike Place Market, Seattle Center (Space Needle,
    > Science Center, etc.), Alki Point, Golden Gardens and the beach there,
    > Gasworks Park at Lake Union, etc. There are many shorebirds on the beaches,
    > as well as a huge variety of marine life.

    ....and Discovery Park for landscape shots.
    Fletis Humplebacker, Nov 12, 2004
  17. Jason W

    Mike Fields Guest

    Another couple of good possibilities is the Ballard Locks and
    a ferry ride out through the San Juan Islands -- you could just
    walk on for a few $$ and go the whole route (pick a nice day -
    the San Juans in the Rain and Fog are less than impressive ...

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Nov 13, 2004
  18. In article <>, ZONED!
    <no_email@please_post.net> wrote:

    > Just curious if you have ever been to Seattle.

    I'm about 100 miles away...on the coast.
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 13, 2004
  19. Jason W

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:24:26 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, ZONED!
    ><no_email@please_post.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Just curious if you have ever been to Seattle.

    >I'm about 100 miles away...on the coast.

    Here near Tacoma, I notice that such a postcard would take a lot of
    patience and free time to capture the image for ;o) The weather around
    here and Seattle is so overcast and misty most of the time.
    ZONED!, Nov 13, 2004
  20. In article <>, ZONED!
    <no_email@please_post.net> wrote:

    > Here near Tacoma, I notice that such a postcard would take a lot of
    > patience and free time to capture the image for ;o) The weather around
    > here and Seattle is so overcast and misty most of the time.

    The fog has been pretty heavy in recent weeks. So I've been taking my
    camera to work and occasionally stopping to do some fog pics.
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 14, 2004