Season ender, "House" and shallow DOF

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 22, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    So the last ep. of the season of "House" was shot with Canon 5DII
    cameras functioning as the video cameras. The Canon 5DII is a still
    image camera with video tacked-on, as many have today. Difference
    between it and professional video cameras (why the director chose it)
    is the size of the sensor. The large sensor in the Canon, the same as
    traditional 35mm film, coupled with high speed lenses allowed the
    director to produce images with a very narrow focus range. The result
    was (as can be seen throughout the episode, and especially at the end)
    is a blurring of foreground and background images, centering focus on
    the subject's faces. In some cases, focus being only centered on a
    nose or one eye. So how does this work in television? Good and bad.
    The good is that specific objects can be emphasized while taking
    attention away from spurious objects in the scene's foreground or
    background. The bad is that the scene appears less defined because we
    are used to the deep depth of field afforded by smaller-sensored video
    cameras and slower lenses or lenses used at smaller apertures. Often,
    what appears as a distraction could be interesting or important, like
    the time on a clock on a wall, etc, or the approach of someone whom if
    recognized earlier in the shot can build tension, whatever. I don't
    know if this technique suited to single-shot portraiture will catch-on
    in television, but you never know.

    RichA, May 22, 2010

  2. RichA

    Alls Quiet Guest

    On May 22, 2:27 am, RichA <> wrote:

    > So how does this work in television?  Good and bad.
    > The good is that specific objects can be emphasized while taking
    > attention away from spurious objects in the scene's foreground or
    > background.  The bad is that the scene appears less defined because we
    > are used to the deep depth of field afforded by smaller-sensored video
    > cameras and slower lenses or lenses used at smaller apertures.

    Did they use the Canon for the season opener, too? Seems so.

    Alls Quiet, May 22, 2010