    display both and don't want the popup to keep bothering me.

    Thanks,

    John
    John, Oct 5, 2011

  2. John

    Paul Guest

    John wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to search through a folder of documents in
    > Windows 7 for any documents containing certain text? So far I have
    > tried searching and it is not bringing up any results when I know for
    > a fact that there are numerous documents there containing the text I
    > am searching for. The search facility in Windows 7 seems to have taken
    > a huge step backwards from XP. I have downloaded Super Finder XT but
    > have the same issue with that program too, it wont search for text
    > within files, only filenames.
    >
    > Is there a way to do this or something I am now doing wrong or have
    > Microsoft simply left out this functionality or removed it?
    >
    > Also, how do you permanently get rid of the annoying messages that
    > keep popping up about only displayinh https secure webpages? I want to
    > display both and don't want the popup to keep bothering me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    If you enter "Indexing" in the search box, you may be able to find
    the control panel that sets up the indexing feature.

    In this image, you can see indexing as a service. Perhaps using
    some other control panel would get it turned on.

    http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers/2009/windows-7-rc-remove-apps-3.png

    In this one, you can adjust what parts of the drive are indexed.

    http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers_new_2/windows-7-settings-indexing.png

    You may also find options for indexing just file names or file names
    plus file content. I found, that even though I had turned off
    content, it still took *three hours* to index my relatively
    clean Windows 7 install, which tells me the Indexer promptly
    threw away my suggestion. The index files themselves, occupied
    about 350MB on another partition (because I moved the files there).
    And that is certainly bigger, than a file containing all the
    file names.

    It took three hours, even though I modified the registry setting
    that controls "backoff" on the Indexer, so it would run faster.
    I even raised the priority of two of the three tasks the
    indexer used (in Task Manager), and it didn't run that much faster.
    So it was three hours, with a "boot in the arse" :)

    So you can play around with turning on Indexing, adjusting what
    parts of the disk are indexed, then wait the three hours until the
    disk is indexed. And then go back and do your test.

    (When I tested this feature in Windows 8 Preview, it refused to look in
    AppData or ProgramFiles or the like, and items of that nature
    were missing from the customization list. A precursor, to
    "buying apps from the app store" and not even being able
    to look at the files perhaps ? I tried running as Admin and
    it didn't help, and if those directories are owned by
    TrustedInstaller, I guess I could understand how they did it.
    I had less trouble with this, in Windows 7 setup. It was still
    painful to set up in 7, but I kinda got what I wanted. In 8,
    I wasn't happy.)

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 5, 2011

  3. John

    John Guest

    I've managed to sort the indexing out so that it searches specific
    folders only for both file names and file contents and also depending
    on file types.

    However that now just leaves me with the issue of how I can use the
    limited search tool of Windows 7 and tell that to also search contents
    not just the file names? I know you can type content: and then type
    your search words afterwards but it often still doesn't work for me
    and kind of defeats the object IMHO.

    I think I really need to download a search program that is easy to use
    and has this full functionality of how where and what to search.
    Superfinder XT doesn't seem to be the answer.

    Windows 7 to me is a backwards step so far from XP. I believe
    Microsoft by trying to trying to make things more simple have actually
    made them more complex through their process of simplification and we
    now have a product that has reduced features and functionality. It
    still has to be a big imporvment over Vista though which I never
    bothered to upgrade to after all the poor reviews I heard of it.

    Cheers,

    John
    John, Oct 9, 2011
  4. John

    Paul Guest

    John wrote:
    > I've managed to sort the indexing out so that it searches specific
    > folders only for both file names and file contents and also depending
    > on file types.
    >
    > However that now just leaves me with the issue of how I can use the
    > limited search tool of Windows 7 and tell that to also search contents
    > not just the file names? I know you can type content: and then type
    > your search words afterwards but it often still doesn't work for me
    > and kind of defeats the object IMHO.
    >
    > I think I really need to download a search program that is easy to use
    > and has this full functionality of how where and what to search.
    > Superfinder XT doesn't seem to be the answer.
    >
    > Windows 7 to me is a backwards step so far from XP. I believe
    > Microsoft by trying to trying to make things more simple have actually
    > made them more complex through their process of simplification and we
    > now have a product that has reduced features and functionality. It
    > still has to be a big imporvment over Vista though which I never
    > bothered to upgrade to after all the poor reviews I heard of it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    They have a query language.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-tips-for-searching-in-Windows

    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...ve/2007/05/09/advanced-search-techniques.aspx

    I only turned on the indexing on the Windows 7 laptop, to see how much faster
    a search result would come back. I haven't run into a situation yet, where
    I've tested the search for thoroughness, so I can't comment on how clumsy it
    is. It does manage to bring back a few irrelevant results, so I can see
    how adding a few filter terms to the search might have helped.

    The last search I liked, was on Win2K, and that's because the file
    system caching was working properly.

    A third-party search tool would probably be a good idea. Something
    like Agent Ransack or its follow-on program.

    http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?page=features&type=agentransack

    I'd prefer the approach used in WinXP for the search, over the one
    offered in Windows 7 (I need more of a user interface on the thing,
    because I don't really want to learn the query language.)

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 9, 2011
  5. John

    Quack Guest

    John wrote:
    > I've managed to sort the indexing out so that it searches specific
    > folders only for both file names and file contents and also depending
    > on file types.
    >
    > However that now just leaves me with the issue of how I can use the
    > limited search tool of Windows 7 and tell that to also search contents
    > not just the file names? I know you can type content: and then type
    > your search words afterwards but it often still doesn't work for me
    > and kind of defeats the object IMHO.
    >
    > I think I really need to download a search program that is easy to use
    > and has this full functionality of how where and what to search.
    > Superfinder XT doesn't seem to be the answer.
    >
    > Windows 7 to me is a backwards step so far from XP. I believe
    > Microsoft by trying to trying to make things more simple have actually
    > made them more complex through their process of simplification and we
    > now have a product that has reduced features and functionality. It
    > still has to be a big imporvment over Vista though which I never
    > bothered to upgrade to after all the poor reviews I heard of it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    You are right John. Win 7 is the PITS!!!
    Quack, Oct 10, 2011