    searches?

    Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks!

    Carmen
    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Jun 26, 2010

  2. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Drew Guest

    Start, open the "run"box type %temp% hit enter and see how many you have

    Drew, Jun 26, 2010

  3. Ah... thank you Sir! That certainly does the trick...

    That having been said, where would I have found such a "string" out? What
    are the other strings that are useful for finding "not the usual suspects"
    in Windows?

    C.

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Jun 26, 2010
  4. You can still do what you are used to doing, but the issue becomes one of
    location. Windows hasn't changed the commands, but it has changed the
    location, creating the issue. So, if you open a command window (CMD), it
    will put you in your home directory. From there, your temp files are
    undoubtedly buried several layers down in a normally hidden directory. So
    you won't see them with a simple "dir *.tmp". But if you add a "/s" to that
    dir command, you'll see a bunch of files. The /s tells dir to also look in
    subdirectories of the current directory.

    Using the %temp% variable, as Carmen suggested, gets around the issue
    searching in the directory where windows puts temporary files by default.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2010
  5. "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <> wrote in message
    > Hey folks! Back with some of the old Windows OSes, if I wanted to find all
    > my temporary files, all I had to do was open up my C: drive and search for
    > "*.tmp"
    >

    > I've tried doing this in Windows 7 Pro, but it says it's not finding
    > anything, which I find completely hard to believe, of course.

    > Has anything changed, or should we not still be able to do wildcard-type
    > searches?

    Nothing has changed if you use a cmd window:

    cd /d C:
    dir/a/b/s/p *.tmp

    or you could try a Powershell window for something similar more verbosely:

    PS C:\> Get-ChildItem -Force -Recurse -include
    ..tmp -WarningAction:SilentlyContinue -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue |
    Select-Object -Property FullName | more

    Tip: You could go and do something else after issuing this. Also, judging
    by the messages being suppressed by those options, it's not clear to me if
    the two results would be equivalent. <eg>

    > Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks!
    >
    > Carmen

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 26, 2010
  6. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Zaidy036 Guest

    Re: Searching through Windows...t

    "Robert Aldwinckle" <> wrote:

    > "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey folks! Back with some of the old Windows OSes, if I wanted to
    > > find all > my temporary files, all I had to do was open up my C:
    > > drive and search for > "*.tmp"
    >>

    >> I've tried doing this in Windows 7 Pro, but it says it's not finding
    > > > anything, which I find completely hard to believe, of course.

    >> Has anything changed, or should we not still be able to do
    > > wildcard-type > searches?

    > Nothing has changed if you use a cmd window:
    >
    > cd /d C:
    > dir/a/b/s/p *.tmp
    >
    > or you could try a Powershell window for something similar more
    > verbosely:
    >
    > PS C:\> Get-ChildItem -Force -Recurse -include .tmp
    > -WarningAction:SilentlyContinue -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue |
    > Select-Object -Property FullName | more
    >
    > Tip: You could go and do something else after issuing this. Also,
    > judging by the messages being suppressed by those options, it's not
    > clear to me if the two results would be equivalent. <eg>
    >

    >> Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks!
    >>
    >> Carmen

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle