    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 6, 2010

  2. "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message
    > I have recently moved to Windows 7, and am working on adjusting to the new
    > Search system. Here is my main question:
    >
    > There are certain times that I want to do a search of only file names (not
    > content, even for file types that I have chosen to have indexed). How can
    > I tell the Search system to look only at file names when doing a search?

    Use the filename: property (and grit your teeth while the autosearch
    tries to make
    something of your typing before you finish typing your search expression.)
    ; [

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266512(VS.85).aspx#file_type_props

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 6, 2010

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Jeff Layman Guest

    > I have recently moved to Windows 7, and am working on adjusting to the new
    > Search system. Here is my main question:
    >
    > There are certain times that I want to do a search of only file names (not
    > content, even for file types that I have chosen to have indexed). How can
    > I tell the Search system to look only at file names when doing a search?
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    >
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    I wouldn't use Windows Explorer for a search like this. Download
    FreeCommander and use that, or some other WE equivalent.

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Feb 6, 2010
  4. That will be really helpful, it's a great start (and a great link for some
    future help as well). So here are two more questions:

    1. Is there a way to search file AND folder names without typing my query
    twice? I found the filename: and folder: properties, but I didn't see any
    that looked like they searched both.

    2. I'm probably going to sound lazy here, but is there any kind of interface
    offered by the Search to do this? I noticed that the Search box displays
    things you can click on for datemodified: and size: , but if it hadn't been
    for your help, I wouldn't know about things like the filename: or any of the
    others mentioned on the page you give the link for. I like the advanced
    search interface that previous versions of Windows had, where there was a
    Textbox next to each of the available properties (obviously with all the
    properties available now, it would need to look a little different, but it
    would still be easier to have the search string generated). Does Windows 7
    have any kind of advanced search dialog where I can generate my search
    strings?

    Thank you for all your help, I guarantee it will be a big help for the kind
    of searches I sometimes do. Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 6, 2010
  5. Nathan Sokalski

    Zaidy036 Guest

    On 2/6/2010 1:17 AM, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I have recently moved to Windows 7, and am working on adjusting to the
    > new Search system. Here is my main question:
    >
    > There are certain times that I want to do a search of only file names
    > (not content, even for file types that I have chosen to have indexed).
    > How can I tell the Search system to look only at file names when doing a
    > search? Thanks.

    I suggest you try the free Everything from http://www.voidtools.com/

    It is fast and you just enter any part of the file name, the extension,
    or partial text within the name.

    Eric

    Zaidy036, Feb 6, 2010
  6. "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message

    > 1. Is there a way to search file AND folder names without typing my query
    > twice? I found the filename: and folder: properties, but I didn't see any
    > that looked like they searched both.

    Apparently that's what the name: "search filter" does. ; )

    > 2. I'm probably going to sound lazy here, but is there any kind of
    > interface offered by the Search to do this? I noticed that the Search box
    > displays things you can click on for datemodified: and size: , but if it
    > hadn't been for your help, I wouldn't know about things like the filename:
    > or any of the others mentioned on the page you give the link for. I like
    > the advanced search interface that previous versions of Windows had, where
    > there was a Textbox next to each of the available properties (obviously
    > with all the properties available now, it would need to look a little
    > different, but it would still be easier to have the search string
    > generated).

    Actually if you had indexing enabled supposedly even in NT you could use
    even more advanced search syntax with it too. I never bothered with the
    old indexing so I don't know how effective that option might have been.
    ; )

    > Does Windows 7 have any kind of advanced search dialog where I can
    > generate my search strings?

    Not that I know of. Even worse IMO I don't know if there is any logging
    which can help explain some of the bizarre results it comes up with. E.g. I
    think that the UI is a front-end for the Search API and the syntaxes are
    different with both; so it would really help to be able to see what the UI
    is passing to the search engine as "your" query. But to top it all off the
    sort of complete name-only searches that you are wanting seem to be
    ridiculously slow anyway; that's why I typically resort to dir commands
    instead. The new search may be more useful when indexed *content* is
    involved I suspect. Although even then, when you know which subdirectory
    you want to search, I think findstr can be faster. ; )

    > Thank you for all your help, I guarantee it will be a big help for the
    > kind of searches I sometimes do. Thanks.

    Good luck

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 7, 2010