    I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.

    Moore's law says there aren't too many newsgroups (sorta) and so the
    argument that there are too many is specious at best.
    Limpy, May 22, 2009

  2. Limpy

    Guest

    Limpy wrote:
    > I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.
    >
    > Moore's law says there aren't too many newsgroups (sorta) and so the
    > argument that there are too many is specious at best.

    Can you setup you own server, on your localhost, to do whatever you
    are trying to do, in the remote nntp world?
    , May 22, 2009

  3. Limpy

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 00:22:21 -0400, Limpy
    <> wrote:

    >I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.
    >
    >Moore's law says there aren't too many newsgroups (sorta) and so the
    >argument that there are too many is specious at best.

    Most news services no longer accept 3rd party cancels.
    Very few even cancel messages.

    Or are you wanting to cancle the groups themselves?
    rots of ruck bubba. only the service can do that.
    richard, May 22, 2009
  4. Limpy

    Limpy Guest

    In the magical world of this newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    on Fri, 22 May 2009 07:35:26 -0400 we were all amazed to see richard
    <> write:

    >On Fri, 22 May 2009 00:22:21 -0400, Limpy
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.
    >>
    >>Moore's law says there aren't too many newsgroups (sorta) and so the
    >>argument that there are too many is specious at best.

    >Most news services no longer accept 3rd party cancels.
    >Very few even cancel messages.
    >
    >Or are you wanting to cancle the groups themselves?
    >rots of ruck bubba. only the service can do that.

    See above: "newgroup control posts"
    Limpy, May 22, 2009
  5. Limpy

    G. Morgan Guest

    Limpy wrote:

    >See above: "newgroup control posts"

    RtS barely knows what a control message is, much less a rmgroup or newgroup.

    I don't know what servers for sure allow controls to be sent, Altopia comes to
    mind. Ask in alt.config , someone there knows.
    G. Morgan, May 22, 2009
  6. Limpy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 07:35:26 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Most news services no longer accept 3rd party cancels.
    >Very few even cancel messages.
    >
    >Or are you wanting to cancle the groups themselves?
    >rots of ruck bubba. only the service can do that.

    Wow.. Read much?

    Where did the OP state he wanted to cancel anything?

    Do you know what a cmsg control post is? Apparently not.
    Evan Platt, May 22, 2009
  7. Limpy

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 07:48:17 -0400, Limpy
    <> wrote:

    >In the magical world of this newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >on Fri, 22 May 2009 07:35:26 -0400 we were all amazed to see richard
    ><> write:
    >
    >>On Fri, 22 May 2009 00:22:21 -0400, Limpy
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.
    >>>
    >>>Moore's law says there aren't too many newsgroups (sorta) and so the
    >>>argument that there are too many is specious at best.

    >>Most news services no longer accept 3rd party cancels.
    >>Very few even cancel messages.
    >>
    >>Or are you wanting to cancle the groups themselves?
    >>rots of ruck bubba. only the service can do that.

    >See above: "newgroup control posts"

    There are different types of control messages.
    But basically, to do that you need a news client which can allow the
    introduction of custom headers.
    However, be warned that only in the "alt" hierarchy can YOU create a
    new group this way. In all other hierarchies, there are other steps
    that you must follow to create a group.

    But it doesn't end there. After you send the message, you need to
    contact several "feeds" and ask them to add the group. Then in a few
    weeks the group should promulgate through the system.
    richard, May 22, 2009
  8. Limpy

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:04:37 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan
    <> wrote:

    >Limpy wrote:
    >
    >>See above: "newgroup control posts"

    >RtS barely knows what a control message is, much less a rmgroup or newgroup.
    >
    >I don't know what servers for sure allow controls to be sent, Altopia comes to
    >mind. Ask in alt.config , someone there knows.

    I do know what they are as I have created a couple of groups purely to
    see how it was done. I created one using OE6 even. Yes it can be done
    with OE.

    Most of the major services will allow the control messages. The real
    problem is, will anything be done with it?

    Just sending the cmsg is not always good enough. As most services no
    longer automatically create the groups.

    This all came about because of one idiot back in 97 or so had spent
    several days, if not weeks, cancelling messages almost as soon as they
    were posted. He had usenet so screwed up posts were showing up in
    wrong threads and groups. It is because of that, 3rd party cancels are
    no longer accepted.
    richard, May 22, 2009
  9. Limpy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Limpy wrote:
    > I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.

    Maybe instead of that you need to read how to create an alt. group
    http://nylon.net/alt/

    A couple of different kinds of control messages are to cancel a message
    or to create a newsgroup.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 22, 2009
  10. Limpy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 10:48:04 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >I do know what they are as I have created a couple of groups purely to
    >see how it was done. I created one using OE6 even. Yes it can be done
    >with OE.

    I really doubt you did.

    >Most of the major services will allow the control messages. The real
    >problem is, will anything be done with it?
    >
    >Just sending the cmsg is not always good enough. As most services no
    >longer automatically create the groups.

    That's the first right thing you've said...

    >This all came about because of one idiot back in 97 or so had spent
    >several days, if not weeks, cancelling messages almost as soon as they
    >were posted. He had usenet so screwed up posts were showing up in
    >wrong threads and groups. It is because of that, 3rd party cancels are
    >no longer accepted.

    LOL... I'm sure. And you have documentation of this, right?

    And "3rd party cancels are no longer accepted"...
    First: Does that mean first party cancels are accepted?
    Second: What does cancels have to do with what the OP asked?
    Evan Platt, May 22, 2009
  11. Limpy

    chuckcar Guest

    Limpy <> wrote in

    > I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.

    Tough.

    > Moore's law says there aren't too many newsgroups (sorta) and so the
    > argument that there are too many is specious at best.

    One is too many.

    Time to play your flooding games is over kiddie.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 22, 2009
  12. Limpy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 22:47:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Limpy <> wrote in
    >
    >> I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.
    >>

    >Tough.

    Like I've said, if you don't know the answer, STFU chucko.
    Evan Platt, May 23, 2009
  13. Limpy

    Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:04:37 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Limpy wrote:
    > >
    > >>See above: "newgroup control posts"

    > >RtS barely knows what a control message is, much less a rmgroup or newgroup.
    > >
    > >I don't know what servers for sure allow controls to be sent, Altopia comes to
    > >mind. Ask in alt.config , someone there knows.

    > I do know what they are as I have created a couple of groups purely to
    > see how it was done. I created one using OE6 even. Yes it can be done
    > with OE.
    >
    > Most of the major services will allow the control messages. The real
    > problem is, will anything be done with it?
    >
    > Just sending the cmsg is not always good enough. As most services no
    > longer automatically create the groups.
    >
    > This all came about because of one idiot back in 97 or so had spent
    > several days, if not weeks, cancelling messages almost as soon as they
    > were posted. He had usenet so screwed up posts were showing up in
    > wrong threads and groups. It is because of that, 3rd party cancels are
    > no longer accepted.

    today,

    Regardless, it is not possible to undo most propagation of posts, that
    already happened, or removal of groups.
    , May 24, 2009
  14. Limpy

    Limpy Guest

    In the magical world of this newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    on Sat, 23 May 2009 00:28:13 -0400 we were all amazed to see Limpy
    <> write:

    >In the magical world of this newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >on Fri, 22 May 2009 22:47:01 +0000 (UTC) we were all amazed to see
    >chuckcar <> write:
    >
    >>Limpy <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I need a newsgroup server that allows cmsg newgroup control posts.
    >>>

    >>Tough.
    >>
    >>> Moore's law says there aren't too many newsgroups (sorta) and so the
    >>> argument that there are too many is specious at best.

    >>One is too many.

    >And one is nothing!
    >>
    >>Time to play your flooding games is over kiddie.

    >Is that supposed to be English?

    Huh?? I didn't get your response
    Limpy, May 26, 2009