Searching for a high resolution sub $700 dedicated film scanner for 35mm and slides

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I have about 650 individual negatives and perhapse a couple hundred
    slides to scan for my familys archives. I would be very interested in
    your input from an amateurs perspective. Since I do not publish a
    magazine or develop super graphics web pages I feel that I can narrow
    in on a good high end consumer scanner.

    What I am using to determine what I should get:
    The largest size I would ever print would be 8x10.
    My computer is an Athalon XP1700 w/ 80GB HDD, 512DDRAM and USB 2.0
    (since I built my machine I can easily customize)
    I may try to help out other relatives w/ their negs so I would be
    interested in having a good flourescent lamp or perhaps LED like
    I prefer to have good quality software like ICE or Silverfast or
    whatever it is called (Obviously I havent used it!)
    Batch or efficient processing would be great if possible.
    I consider myself above average in technical ability, however, I will
    admit that I am not great when it comes to adjusting gamma and hues.
    There is also a persistant annoyance I have to spending hours
    doctoring one photo. If there is some software that does a decent job
    handling that aspect of things it would great.

    My finalists that I have selected:
    Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III $250-$300
    Canon CanoScan FS4000US $600-$900
    Nikon CoolScan IV $600 or so

    If you have used or experimented with these or others please let me
    know what you think is a good high-end consumer model. Thanks!
    Chris, Oct 22, 2003

  2. HRosita

    HRosita Guest

    > (Chris) wrote:

    >My finalists that I have selected:
    >Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III $250-$300
    >Canon CanoScan FS4000US $600-$900
    >Nikon CoolScan IV $600 or so

    I have had a Minolta Scan Speed (the first one offered by Minolta) and was very
    happy with it. I upgraded to a Nikon CoolScan IV because of the ICE capability
    but was very disappointed. I have sold it and bought the Minolta 5400 and find
    it excellent.
    Very little post scan manipulation. ICE works flawlessly.
    If you want a less expensive one, go for the Minolta Dimage Elite II. It costs
    under $700, has ICE and both USB and Firewire connectivity.
    HRosita, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Ed E.

    Ed E. Guest

    Get a dedicated film scanner with ICE, USB connection, and at least 2800dpi.
    Those are the raw basics for a good 8x10 print.

    Contrary to HRosita, I've had great success using the CoolScan LS-40 and
    Ed E., Oct 22, 2003