Search.ug hacks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tester, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. Tester

    Tester Guest

    I was trying to download something ... well, I was trying to find
    grpedit and I only got XP Home with my notebook.

    Anyway, I googled gpedit.rar and I found

    http://www.israbridge.com/guestbook/tmp/gpedit_rar_download.html

    which apparently has disappeared.

    But the Google cache still exists and it shows the old page for half a
    second and then redirects to search.ug.

    It DOES show the old page if you disable Javascript or use a
    non-Javascript browser like links or lynx.

    Why? The old page has the code:

    eval('windo'+'w.'+''+'loc'+'at'+'io'+'n="'+'h'+'tt'+'p:/'+'/'+'sea'+

    Well, you should be able to more-or-less guess the rest of the code.

    Search.ug is reasonably innocuous - it's one of these dumb search
    pages you sometimes find if you misspell a URL or the domain went
    under and is now owned by a domain broker.

    Still, I don't trust them so I edited
    \Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and defined search.ug as
    127.0.0.1.which means that whenever my browser tries to connect to
    search.ug it will try to connect to the non-existent web server on my
    own computer and fail.

    Tester, Feb 7, 2007