    but I am looking for another solution.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    John Jay Smith, Feb 14, 2006

  2. John Jay Smith

    Ben Guest

    John Jay Smith wrote:
    > Is there a search tool for searching files on a disk that
    > you can add a list of directories so that it will search only them?

    Depending on what you're searching for, you do know that you can specify
    multiple directories manually in Windows Search? Just enter paths
    separated with a ; in the "Look In" box.

    Apologies if you already knew this and are looking for something more
    comprehensive...

    Ben, Feb 14, 2006

  3. John Jay Smith

    Guest

    John Jay Smith wrote:

    > Is there a search tool for searching files on a disk that
    > you can add a list of directories so that it will search only them?
    >
    > I know you can define ONE directory in some search tools
    > or search the whole disk...
    >
    > but I am looking for another solution.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have this. Might be what you want.

    Lou

    Klik-A-Dir is a program that offers a quick and easy alternative for
    exploring and maintaining your system. When using Klik-A-Dir you can
    browse your harddisk in a way that closely resembles the workings of the
    Start Menu. Just one click to start and one click when you reach the
    desired folder. Klik-A-Dir is always showing the actual
    harddisk-structure. No need for scanning your harddisk after changes
    have taken place. Klik-A-Dir does not create any datafiles.

    Freeware
    Web Location: otterdad.dynip.com
    Download: kad156.zip -
    http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip 143 Kb
    Installed executable is "KlikADir.exe"
    , Feb 14, 2006
  4. John Jay Smith

    ms Guest

    lid wrote:
    > John Jay Smith wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a search tool for searching files on a disk that
    >>you can add a list of directories so that it will search only them?
    >>
    >>I know you can define ONE directory in some search tools
    >>or search the whole disk...
    >>
    >>but I am looking for another solution.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > I have this. Might be what you want.
    >
    > Lou
    >
    > Klik-A-Dir is a program that offers a quick and easy alternative for
    > exploring and maintaining your system. When using Klik-A-Dir you can
    > browse your harddisk in a way that closely resembles the workings of the
    > Start Menu. Just one click to start and one click when you reach the
    > desired folder. Klik-A-Dir is always showing the actual
    > harddisk-structure. No need for scanning your harddisk after changes
    > have taken place. Klik-A-Dir does not create any datafiles.
    >
    > Freeware
    > Web Location: otterdad.dynip.com
    > Download: kad156.zip -
    > http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip 143 Kb
    > Installed executable is "KlikADir.exe"

    When I click the link "can't be found" ??

    Mike Sa
    ms, Feb 14, 2006
  5. you clicked a link? you must klick a dir.... lol

    John Jay Smith, Feb 14, 2006
  6. John Jay Smith

    Tom McDonald Guest

    "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in news:-privat.org:

    > Is there a search tool for searching files on a disk that
    > you can add a list of directories so that it will search only them?
    >
    > I know you can define ONE directory in some search tools
    > or search the whole disk...
    >
    > but I am looking for another solution.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > Thanks

    http://www.xyplorer.com/
    (previously called Tracker3)

    I believe the syntax is Location:
    C:\aFolder | C:\anotherFolder
    The bar-thingy is on the backslash key

    --
    Regards,
    Tom McD
    Tom McDonald, Feb 14, 2006
  7. Great tip! I didnt know that...

    I know with keywords of filenames, but not with directories

    thanks!

    John Jay Smith, Feb 14, 2006
  8. John Jay Smith

    Guest

    ms wrote:

    > lid wrote:
    > > John Jay Smith wrote:
    > >

    > >>Is there a search tool for searching files on a disk that
    > >>you can add a list of directories so that it will search only them?
    > >>
    > >>I know you can define ONE directory in some search tools
    > >>or search the whole disk...
    > >>
    > >>but I am looking for another solution.
    > >>
    > >>Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks

    > > I have this. Might be what you want.
    > >
    > > Lou
    > >
    > > Klik-A-Dir is a program that offers a quick and easy alternative for
    > > exploring and maintaining your system. When using Klik-A-Dir you can
    > > browse your harddisk in a way that closely resembles the workings of the
    > > Start Menu. Just one click to start and one click when you reach the
    > > desired folder. Klik-A-Dir is always showing the actual
    > > harddisk-structure. No need for scanning your harddisk after changes
    > > have taken place. Klik-A-Dir does not create any datafiles.
    > >
    > > Freeware
    > > Web Location: otterdad.dynip.com
    > > Download: kad156.zip -
    > > http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip 143 Kb
    > > Installed executable is "KlikADir.exe"
    > >

    > When I click the link "can't be found" ??
    >
    > Mike Sa

    Sorry. Old place. Try Google?
    , Feb 14, 2006
  9. John Jay Smith

    Franklin Guest

    On 14 Feb 2006, ms wrote:

    >>>Is there a search tool for searching files on a disk that
    >>>you can add a list of directories so that it will search only
    >>>them?
    >>>
    >>>I know you can define ONE directory in some search tools
    >>>or search the whole disk...
    >>>
    >>>but I am looking for another solution.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >> I have this. Might be what you want.
    >>
    >> Lou
    >>
    >> Klik-A-Dir is a program that offers a quick and easy
    >> alternative for exploring and maintaining your system. When
    >> using Klik-A-Dir you can browse your harddisk in a way that
    >> closely resembles the workings of the Start Menu. Just one
    >> click to start and one click when you reach the desired folder.
    >> Klik-A-Dir is always showing the actual harddisk-structure. No
    >> need for scanning your harddisk after changes have taken place.
    >> Klik-A-Dir does not create any datafiles.
    >>
    >> Freeware
    >> Web Location: otterdad.dynip.com
    >> Download: kad156.zip -
    >> http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip
    >> 143 Kb Installed executable is "KlikADir.exe"
    >>

    > When I click the link "can't be found" ??

    Try here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/in/honysoft/kaddesc.html
    Franklin, Feb 15, 2006
  10. John Jay Smith

    Guest

    Franklin wrote:

    > >> I have this. Might be what you want.
    > >>
    > >> Lou
    > >>
    > >> Klik-A-Dir is a program that offers a quick and easy
    > >> alternative for exploring and maintaining your system. When
    > >> using Klik-A-Dir you can browse your harddisk in a way that
    > >> closely resembles the workings of the Start Menu. Just one
    > >> click to start and one click when you reach the desired folder.
    > >> Klik-A-Dir is always showing the actual harddisk-structure. No
    > >> need for scanning your harddisk after changes have taken place.
    > >> Klik-A-Dir does not create any datafiles.
    > >>
    > >> Freeware
    > >> Web Location: otterdad.dynip.com
    > >> Download: kad156.zip -
    > >> http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip
    > >> 143 Kb Installed executable is "KlikADir.exe"
    > >>

    > > When I click the link "can't be found" ??
    > >

    > Try here:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/in/honysoft/kaddesc.html

    Thanks

    Lou
    , Feb 15, 2006
  11. "Tom McDonald" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in news:-privat.org:
    >
    > > Is there a search tool for searching files on a disk that
    > > you can add a list of directories so that it will search only them?

    > http://www.xyplorer.com/
    > (previously called Tracker3)
    >
    > I believe the syntax is Location:
    > C:\aFolder | C:\anotherFolder
    > The bar-thingy is on the backslash key

    FYI: In XYplorer the pipe character (or "bar-thingy") is used here instead
    of ";" because ";" is a legal character in file and folder names.

    XYplorer offers yet another way to search multiple directories: it can
    follow folder links (aka "Shell Links to Folders"), i.e. it will search the
    links' target directories. Which means, you can cultivate folder link farms,
    i.e. collections of links to various folders in the wildest locations, which
    you then can search all at once by just running a search on the link farm.

    Don
    Donald Lessau, Feb 15, 2006