Search Replace MS Word 2000 from external program

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James D Andrews, Jul 15, 2011.

  1. WARNING: This is a long one.
    Windows XP SP3 up-to-date on a homebrew computer & MS Office 2000 Word

    Allow me to begin with I can't afford to upgrade to a newer version of
    Office/Word and the 2000 version has all the features I use. I've been
    using it for - (let me do the math) - and I'm quite comfortable with
    it.

    I also have OpenOffice as a backup and MSWorks 7 - {2000} because of my
    movie database.

    I should also mention I've spent all day today and all last night
    searching Google and MyPoints (search), Computer Hope, Bleeping
    Computer, Computing.net (Tom's), HelpWithWindows.com, and of course,
    Microsoft along with the Windows Help Files, so I did at least try to
    find an answer before bothering you guys. I'm frazzled.

    Now, here's the problem:

    For my writing files, I've frequently used global search/replace
    programs to replace text in multiple files at the same time. I've had
    no problem before, and I had a favorite called MultiFind. There are
    others.

    I've been away from these files for a little while working on other
    projects, so yesterday I returned to them, did the standard
    Search/Replace as I've done a gazillion times, and KABLAM!

    "The document name or path is invalid." It suggested 2 options: open
    from the menu bar or check permissions. I could not open the file from
    MS Word either by icon or by Open on Menu. I checked the permissions,
    and the Files themselves showed them accessible but the Folders showed
    Read Only.

    Side issue here: even with several clear read-only programs, I could
    not change this attribute for the folders.

    I was able to recover the files with backup - without the mass changes,
    though.

    So I ran a test placing identical files in several folders saved in
    ..doc, .rtf, .txt, .html, .wps (Works) and .odt (OpenOffice) formats and
    running the Search/Replace. The text file changed fine, of course,
    without all the formatting issues. The .html and .rtf made no changes,
    but were still accessible. The .doc (Word), .wps (Works) and .odt were
    inaccessible - OpenOffice said it was corrupted, offered to attempt to
    repair, but "repaired" with a blank file. Works just gave the old
    "...encountered a problem and has to shut down..." message. Word gave
    the previously mentioned message.

    I ran the same test using several other Search/Replace programs, and I
    ran the test on 2 computers. Same problem, except for one program
    called Seeker which actually uses Word's own Search/Replace to conduct
    its searches (I don't know how). Now, obviously, I'll be using Seeker
    for awhile until this is solved, but substitution doesn't replace
    correction or knowledge - and it's driving me nuts.

    I've checked Folder Options - no solution.
    I've checked Word's Tools/Options - no solution (not to mention it
    shouldn't affect OpenOffice or Works).
    I checked my Antivirus.
    I checked Control Panel/Security (not expecting much).
    I checked the Search/Replace programs' settings.

    Microsoft indicated this was a problem with html files and Outlook mail
    merge, but I couldn't find anything about Word or Search/Replace. As
    part of its solution, MS had me install a "Web Info" tool that directed
    me right back to the page I was on. Thanks, Microsoft!

    So, any ideas on what I'm overlooking?

    Most likely it's staring me in the face, but after so long searching,
    testing, etc., I just don't get it.

    Thanks guys (and gals)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

    James D Andrews, Jul 15, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    kelly Guest

    On Jul 16, 12:59 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:
> [...]
    > I checked the Search/Replace programs' settings.
    >
    > Microsoft indicated this was a problem with html files and Outlook mail
    > merge, but I couldn't find anything about Word or Search/Replace.  As
    > part of its solution, MS had me install a "Web Info" tool that directed
    > me right back to the page I was on.  Thanks, Microsoft!
    >
    > So, any ideas on what I'm overlooking?
    >
    > Most likely it's staring me in the face, but after so long searching,
    > testing, etc., I just don't get it.
    >
    > Thanks guys (and gals)
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    > that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    > good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    > -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

    http://tinyurl.com/6kek3aw
    free microsoft office stuff
    Then repost here for serials. Good luck.

    kelly, Jul 18, 2011

  3. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
> [...]
    > its searches (I don't know how). Now, obviously, I'll be using Seeker
    > for awhile until this is solved, but substitution doesn't replace
    > correction or knowledge - and it's driving me nuts.
    >
    > I've checked Folder Options - no solution.
    > I've checked Word's Tools/Options - no solution (not to mention it
    > shouldn't affect OpenOffice or Works).
    > I checked my Antivirus.
    > I checked Control Panel/Security (not expecting much).
    > I checked the Search/Replace programs' settings.
    >
    > Microsoft indicated this was a problem with html files and Outlook mail
    > merge, but I couldn't find anything about Word or Search/Replace. As
    > part of its solution, MS had me install a "Web Info" tool that directed
    > me right back to the page I was on. Thanks, Microsoft!
    >
    > So, any ideas on what I'm overlooking?
    >
    > Most likely it's staring me in the face, but after so long searching,

    The read-only attribute on the folder, isn't what you think
    it is.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614

    "Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether
    or not the folder is customized."

    So that is being used ("overloaded") as an Explorer flag.

    *******

    With regard to "The document name or path is invalid", I
    would use Process Monitor from Sysinternals, set up the
    filter to capture just the program in question, and watch
    what file it is trying to access. Perhaps you can discover
    the actual path it is attempting to access.

    "Process Monitor v2.95"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

    "Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that
    shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity."

    You set up filters, to control what it captures, and make the
    output easier to deal with.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 18, 2011
  4. Paul banged his head on his keyboard to write :
> [...]

    > it is.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614
    >
    > "Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether
    > or not the folder is customized."
    >
    > So that is being used ("overloaded") as an Explorer flag.
    >
    > *******
    >
    > With regard to "The document name or path is invalid", I
    > would use Process Monitor from Sysinternals, set up the
    > filter to capture just the program in question, and watch
    > what file it is trying to access. Perhaps you can discover
    > the actual path it is attempting to access.
    >
    > "Process Monitor v2.95"
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645
    >
    > "Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that
    > shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity."
    >
    > You set up filters, to control what it captures, and make the

    Thanks, Paul
    I'll give it a try and see what happens.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."