    error: "xpat not supported". Anmyone know what's up? I'm using Mozilla
    1.7.5 on a WIN2000 machine.

    -Marty
    Martin J. Rosenblum, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Martin J. Rosenblum

    Doug G Guest

    Martin J. Rosenblum wrote:
    > What am I doing wrong? When I attemp to search messages, I get a nntp
    > error: "xpat not supported". Anmyone know what's up? I'm using Mozilla
    > 1.7.5 on a WIN2000 machine.
    >
    > -Marty

    Use the Search Bar (View > Show/Hide > Search Bar) or go offline before
    using the Search Messages window (Ctrl+Shift+F).
    Doug G, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Doug G wrote:

    > Martin J. Rosenblum wrote:
    >
    >> What am I doing wrong? When I attemp to search messages, I get a nntp
    >> error: "xpat not supported". Anmyone know what's up? I'm using
    >> Mozilla 1.7.5 on a WIN2000 machine.
    >>
    >> -Marty

    > Use the Search Bar (View > Show/Hide > Search Bar) or go offline
    > before using the Search Messages window (Ctrl+Shift+F).

    Thanks, Doug! That does it. Did I miss something in the documentation
    (help)? And what is the significance of the "xpat not supported"
    message? -M
    Martin J. Rosenblum, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Martin J. Rosenblum

    Doug G Guest

    Martin J. Rosenblum wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> Martin J. Rosenblum wrote:
    >>
    >>> What am I doing wrong? When I attemp to search messages, I get a nntp
    >>> error: "xpat not supported". Anmyone know what's up? I'm using
    >>> Mozilla 1.7.5 on a WIN2000 machine.
    >>>
    >>> -Marty

    >> Use the Search Bar (View > Show/Hide > Search Bar) or go offline
    >> before using the Search Messages window (Ctrl+Shift+F).

    > Thanks, Doug! That does it. Did I miss something in the documentation
    > (help)? And what is the significance of the "xpat not supported"
    > message? -M

    IIRC, that's the way it's been done since Netscape Communicator 4.0. I
    don't think it is documented.

    Some news servers support xpat searches, others don't.
    Netscape's news server (secnews.netscape.com) does, my ISP's doesn't.
    Doug G, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Martin J. Rosenblum

    Stubby Guest

    Doug G wrote:

    > Martin J. Rosenblum wrote:
    >
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> Use the Search Bar (View > Show/Hide > Search Bar) or go offline
    >>> before using the Search Messages window (Ctrl+Shift+F).

    >> Thanks, Doug! That does it. Did I miss something in the documentation
    >> (help)? And what is the significance of the "xpat not supported"
    >> message? -M

    > IIRC, that's the way it's been done since Netscape Communicator 4.0. I
    > don't think it is documented.
    >
    > Some news servers support xpat searches, others don't.
    > Netscape's news server (secnews.netscape.com) does, my ISP's doesn't.

    I'm going back at least a decade and I hope I'm not supplying
    misinformation. "xpat" was a UNIX program that would apply patches to
    a file on your system. It reads a list of "deltas" (differences) from
    a network connection (the "x" or "cross" in xpat) and applies them to
    the file in question. If you don't have xpat in your \bin directory or
    on your Path, you'll get the "xpat not supported" message. On Win2K
    machines xpat.com or xpat.exe will probably be located in <boot
    drive>\WINNT\System32 .
    Stubby, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Stubby wrote:

    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> Martin J. Rosenblum wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Doug! That does it. Did I miss something in the
    >>> documentation (help)? And what is the significance of the "xpat not
    >>> supported" message? -M

    >> IIRC, that's the way it's been done since Netscape Communicator 4.0.
    >> I don't think it is documented.
    >>
    >> Some news servers support xpat searches, others don't.
    >> Netscape's news server (secnews.netscape.com) does, my ISP's doesn't.

    > I'm going back at least a decade and I hope I'm not supplying
    > misinformation. "xpat" was a UNIX program that would apply patches
    > to a file on your system. It reads a list of "deltas" (differences)
    > from a network connection (the "x" or "cross" in xpat) and applies
    > them to the file in question. If you don't have xpat in your \bin
    > directory or on your Path, you'll get the "xpat not supported"
    > message. On Win2K machines xpat.com or xpat.exe will probably be
    > located in <boot drive>\WINNT\System32 .

    There is no xpat.xxx on my C: drive. Should it really be there, or is
    the Mozilla call for xpat an anacronism? If the Search bar is visable,
    it works,
    Martin J. Rosenblum, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Martin J. Rosenblum

    Doug G Guest