    matter what I search for. It works fine in other groups.

    very confused

    Barry C
    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgQw==?=, Jul 29, 2005

  2. same scenario from where I am, any search for any key word results in no
    hits, strange indeed.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jul 29, 2005

  3. I just did a search (Find on the toolbar) on a randomly picked word,
    "toshiba" and got four posts.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Same here, 'longhorn' came up with 91 messages - and looking for new items.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Search doesn't work for me either. Didn't work with XP Pro (32 bit) or now
    with x64 (32 or 64 bit IE).

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jul 30, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgQw==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    When searching for a message verify that you highlight the before box at the
    bottom.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 30, 2005
  7. Im not sure what "before box" is Dennis ??

    I did kinda figure out my own circumvention. I think the problem is related
    to how you get to Windows 64bit Edition Newgroups. If I use the direct link
    labeled

    More Newsgroups
    • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    • Use Web-based reader
    • Open with newsreader

    then the search doesnt appear to work. The frame on the left has a bunch of
    cascading menus for various options including alot of languages.

    If I go to the newsgroups via the Windows/XP General link

    • Windows XP General
    • Use Web-based reader
    • Open with newsreader

    and then click on Windows XP Professional Edition in the frame on the left,
    then search appears to work. This time the frame on the left looks different
    .. Its much more friendly looking.

    Very wierd. Is everybody more confused than ever ? LOL

    Barry C

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgQw==?=, Jul 30, 2005
  8. This may seem like a trivial problem. But the search function is not working
    at all for me either. Could the moderator please post the correct mechanism
    for accessing this forum, and maybe post it as a help link at the top of the
    forum???

    No matter what I try, the search function returns 0 results for anything I
    type in. And in the GUI that is presented to me via the web-based newsreader
    I don't see a "before box" at the bottom either. And I'm seeing the somewhat
    odd languages menu in the left pane too.

    It was very painful just to find this particular post. I scanned thru 15
    screens worth of messages to see if someone else was experiencing the
    problem. Charlie - it would be great if you could update the shortcut on
    your Win64 FAQ page to this newsgroup with whatever the best link is. By the
    way, that is an excellent FAQ, I read thru the whole thing.

    thanks in advance....Jeff

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=, Aug 25, 2005
  9. Jeff -- the best solution is to not use the GUI front end, but I wasn't
    allowed to say that in my column. Use OE -- it works just fine. All you need
    to know is:

    server name: msnews.microsoft.com
    newgroup name: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    link: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Also, see the help file for OE to get detailed setup instructions for
    newsgroups.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgQw==?=

    Jeff Jilg Guest

    Thank you very much Charlie. I got OE configured within 10 minutes. Hadn't
    used that interface in several years.

    It works great! Too bad this can't be a recommended solution since it is a
    Microsoft product. Thanks again. This is a much better way to parse and
    read the newsgroup content.

    .....Jeff

    Jeff Jilg, Aug 26, 2005
  11. Yes, it is much better. Newsgroups are really a text based forum, and a text
    based interface works best, IMHO. But there are some who insist that
    everything must be browser based. Different tools for different tasks, IMO.
    IAC, glad you have it sorted and working.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2005