    cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never had the
    problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions and nothing
    has helped with the problem. It is very annoying. Help???????
    Mary Ann Simms, Dec 16, 2008

  2. Mary Ann Simms

    alan Guest

    "Mary Ann Simms" <> wrote in message
    news:MBD1l.6661$...
    >I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
    >directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address of
    >something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in the
    >IE address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the website
    >cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never had the
    >problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions and
    >nothing has helped with the problem. It is very annoying. Help???????

    First of all, pay no attention at all to chuckcar's reply to your earlier
    post.

    Go to: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced

    Scroll about 3/4 of the way down til you come to "Search from the Address
    Bar"

    Select "Just go to the most likely site". That should work.
    alan, Dec 16, 2008

  3. Mary Ann Simms

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
    <> wrote:

    >I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching.

    not 24 hours ago.

    Ignore the posts from Chuckcar, he's an idiot.

    From: "Mary Ann Simms" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Address bar
    Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:39:09 -0500
    Evan Platt, Dec 16, 2008
  4. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching.

    > not 24 hours ago.
    >
    > Ignore the posts from Chuckcar, he's an idiot.
    >
    > From: "Mary Ann Simms" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Subject: Address bar
    > Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:39:09 -0500

    For your information, Mr. Platt, or whoever you are, I tried all of the
    suggestions that were given to me, and nothing has worked. I STILL CAN"T
    SEARCH from IE address bar.

    Alan, I appreciate your courtesy. Yesterday I tried IE
    Options\Advanced\Search\and selected "Just go to the most likely site" and
    have checked on the setting again today. Nothing has changed. That is why I
    wrote again. I have been on the Internet searching (with Google)for help and
    have discovered that many people have the problem that I do and are just as
    frustrated as I am.
    Mary Ann Simms, Dec 16, 2008
  5. Mary Ann Simms

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:12:58 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
    <> wrote:

    >For your information, Mr. Platt, or whoever you are,

    Mr. Platt or Evan is who I am.

    >I tried all of the suggestions that were given to me, and nothing has worked. I STILL CAN"T
    >SEARCH from IE address bar.

    That's why then you go back and reply to the people who attempted to
    help you sand reply to those people and say "I tried what you
    suggested and it didn't work". You don't create a new thread
    essentially repeating what you asked the first time.
    Evan Platt, Dec 16, 2008
  6. Mary Ann Simms

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
    >directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address of
    >something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in the IE
    >address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the website
    >cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never had the
    >problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions and nothing
    >has helped with the problem. It is very annoying. Help???????

    I find it much easier to search from the Googls tool bar which you can
    get for free from here:-

    http://tinyurl.com/46msme

    Once it is installed, you just type in your query in the Google box
    instead of in the IE address bar.
    --
    ----------------
    Stubbo of Oz
    Stubbo of Oz, Dec 16, 2008
  7. Mary Ann Simms

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:38:09 +1100, Stubbo of Oz
    <> wrote:

    >I find it much easier to search from the Googls tool bar which you can
    >get for free from here:-
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/46msme
    >
    >Once it is installed, you just type in your query in the Google box
    >instead of in the IE address bar.

    I'd never install that crap, but why not just point to
    http://toolbar.google.com ?
    Evan Platt, Dec 16, 2008
  8. Stubbo of Oz wrote:

    > I find it much easier to search from the Googls tool bar which you can
    > get for free from here:-
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/46msme
    >
    > Once it is installed, ..

    ...Google knows everything you do on teh interweb!!!

    (I read that on a guy's blog.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 16, 2008
  9. Mary Ann Simms

    freemont Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, Mary Ann Simms writ:

    > I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
    > directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address
    > of something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in
    > the IE address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the
    > website cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never
    > had the problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions
    > and nothing has helped with the problem. It is very annoying.
    > Help???????

    Try renaming your HOSTS file to HOSTS.old and see if the problem goes
    away.

    HOSTS is in system32/drivers/etc I think.
    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Dec 16, 2008
  10. Mary Ann Simms

    Mike Litoris Guest

    "Mary Ann Simms" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:34:34 -0500, "Mary Ann Simms"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching.

    >> not 24 hours ago.
    >>
    >> Ignore the posts from Chuckcar, he's an idiot.
    >>
    >> From: "Mary Ann Simms" <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Subject: Address bar
    >> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:39:09 -0500
    >> --
    >> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.

    > For your information, Mr. Platt, or whoever you are, I tried all of the
    > suggestions that were given to me, and nothing has worked. I STILL CAN"T
    > SEARCH from IE address bar.
    >
    > Alan, I appreciate your courtesy. Yesterday I tried IE
    > Options\Advanced\Search\and selected "Just go to the most likely site" and
    > have checked on the setting again today. Nothing has changed. That is why
    > I wrote again. I have been on the Internet searching (with Google)for help
    > and have discovered that many people have the problem that I do and are
    > just as frustrated as I am.

    For your information, pleas ignore Evan Platt, too. He is a well known
    drug-addict and heavy alcohol abuser in this group. Furthermore, he is a
    ignorant fool.

    HTH
    Mike Litoris, Dec 16, 2008
  11. Mary Ann Simms

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mary Ann Simms wrote:

    > I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching. I have to go
    > directly to Google to search for anything other than the exact address of
    > something, for example, "http://www.amazon.com/. If I put "Amazon" in the IE
    > address bar, I am told that the address is invalid, or that the website
    > cannot be shown. This has been going on for about 10 days. Never had the
    > problem before that. I have tried a number of possible solutions and nothing
    > has helped with the problem. It is very annoying. Help???????

    Look at replies to your yesterday's post about the same problem.
    Changing the Subject header doesn't alter that you are asking the SAME
    question again.

    Rather than start a new thread, answer the question posed to you in your
    prior thread. Don't keep opening a new thread everyday to work through
    the problem.
    VanguardLH, Dec 16, 2008
  12. Mary Ann Simms

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mary Ann Simms wrote:

    > "Evan Platt" wrote ...
    >>
    >> "Mary Ann Simms" wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have not been able to u se IE address bar for searching.

    >> not 24 hours ago.

    > For your information, Mr. Platt, or whoever you are, I tried all of the
    > suggestions that were given to me, and nothing has worked. I STILL CAN"T
    > SEARCH from IE address bar.
    >
    > Alan, I appreciate your courtesy. Yesterday I tried IE
    > Options\Advanced\Search\and selected "Just go to the most likely site" and
    > have checked on the setting again today. Nothing has changed. That is why I
    > wrote again. I have been on the Internet searching (with Google)for help and
    > have discovered that many people have the problem that I do and are just as
    > frustrated as I am.

    Hey, Mary Ann Simms, or whoever you are:
    (Was it really your intent to challenge Evan's claim of his identity?)

    Go ANSWER the questions posed to you in your prior thread so those that
    are willing to help can walk through the troubleshooting steps to [try
    to] resolve the problem rather than deliberately cut them off from your
    existing discussion by starting a new thread. Don't expect prior
    respondents to go hunting for your new threads on your same problem.

    You really expected Alan to see your reply that you addressed to Evan?
    Don't rely on respondents hunting through all subthreads to see if a
    reply to them has been addressed to someone else. Discussions are
    hierarchical, not a party line.

    You say that you put "Amazon" in the address bar and expected a search
    to happen. Nope, that's not how you do a search from the address bar.
    Read IE's help. The "find" and "go" prefixes mentioned don't work for
    me but the "?" prefix does. Of course, you could also define your own
    shortcuts for doing searches from the address bar. Get TweakUI from
    Microsoft's download site, part of their XP Power Toys, and go under the
    Internet Explorer -> Search node. There you can enter your own
    shortcuts for searches. I have the following strings defined:

    Google search:
    g = http://www.google.com/search?q=%s
    Google News search:
    gn = http://news.google.com/news?q=%s
    Google Groups search:
    gg = http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%s
    Microsoft Search (their site):
    ms =
    Microsoft Support KB:
    mss = http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=%s

    plus many other shortcuts. If I want to do a search using Google on
    "amazon", I enter "g amazon" in the address bar. Basically you define
    alternate prefixes other than "?" (which uses the configured default
    search engine) to do search. I have other shortcuts for searching
    Microsoft's site, Microsoft's support knowledgebase, acronyms,
    definitions, thesarus lookups, Wikipedia lookups, and other online
    reference sources.
    VanguardLH, Dec 16, 2008