Search Function Dosen't Work - Again

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pbdb, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. pbdb

    pbdb Guest

    Sometimes when I click on start -> search, I am clearly asked what I want to
    search for. But other times, like now, clicking on start -> search results
    in the instructions "To start your search, follow the instructions in the
    left pane". In the "left pane" are options with "Other Places" at the top
    and 'Desktop', 'My Computer', 'My Documents', 'Shared Documents', 'My
    Network Places' below it. There is another sub-pane with "Details" at the
    top and 'Search Results' and 'System Folder' below that.

    I posted this earlier and someone replied to choose "My Computer" but that
    doesn't work. There are just more selections below that, including "Hard
    drive C". I selected that and more selections.

    When the little dog is there, it works fine. When I get the above-described
    screen, it's useless.

    What's going on? How can I get a consistent
    search page?

    Mike

    pbdb, Oct 24, 2003

  2. pbdb

    °Mike° Guest

    Run the System File Checker from the Run box:

    sfc /scannow

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:37:34 GMT, in
    <OQhmb.9063$275.16864@attbi_s53>
    pbdb scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 25, 2003

  3. pbdb

    pbdb Guest

    Thanks Mike but there was a flash on the screen too fast to see. I've
    disabled all popup stoppers but there was still the flash and nothing more.

    Other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks much.

    Mike

    pbdb, Oct 25, 2003
  4. pbdb

    °Mike° Guest

    Scan your system for nasties...

    Anti-spyware:
    ---------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Vet (Computer Associates)
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    NOD32
    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    Norman Virus Control
    http://www.norman.com/products_nvc.shtml

    F-Prot
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/

    AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    Online Antitrojan scanner:
    ----------------------
    http://www.trojanscan.com/

    Anti-trojan programs:
    ----------------------
    Trojan Remover
    http://www.simplysup.com/

    Trojan Hunter
    http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

    Trojan Defence Suite (TDS-3)
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

    Tauscan
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

    Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    What you should know about the Blaster worm

    Windows RPC DCOM Buffer Overflow Remote Exploit (MS03-026)
    http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/07.25.winrpcdcom.c.php

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:25:33 GMT, in
    <Nximb.9219$ao4.18712@attbi_s51>
    pbdb scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 25, 2003
  5. pbdb

    Liz Guest

    "pbdb" wrote
    > I posted this earlier and someone replied to choose "My Computer" but that
    > doesn't work. There are just more selections below that, including "Hard
    > drive C". I selected that and more selections.
    >
    > When the little dog is there, it works fine. When I get the above-described
    > screen, it's useless.

    On the Icon bar, do you see a "Search" icon looks like a magnifying glass?
    Click on it to switch to the Search Companion window. If your dog is not there,
    click "Change preferences", then click "With an animated screen character".
    There's that doggie in the window.

    Search Companion Finds it Faster
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/crawford/september03.asp

    Liz, Oct 25, 2003