    Hi all...

    Is there a way to examine all shortcut links (.lnk) on all computers
    in a domain to check which server they are pointing to?
    ryan, Jun 25, 2005

  2. ryan

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:16:57 GMT, ryan wrote:

    >Hi all...
    >
    >Is there a way to examine all shortcut links (.lnk) on all computers
    >in a domain to check which server they are pointing to?

    Yes.

    Me
    why?, Jun 25, 2005

  3. ryan

    ryan Guest

    Right on. that was great.

    Think you could share the method?

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:01:42 GMT, why?

    ryan, Jun 26, 2005
  4. ryan

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:27:03 GMT, ryan wrote:

    >Right on. that was great.

    YW, It did answer your question, it's possible.

    >Think you could share the method?

    No, because I know nothing about your setup, access rights, scripting
    host versions , OS versions , your programming skills, your ability to
    use 3rd party tools , combined with MS resource kit tools (Win 2000 Link
    Check Wizard, never used it), if you want to pay for a 3rd party tool or
    not.

    I don't even know why you need to examine computers instead of just
    going through the profiles stored on a server. It's much easier in the
    long run and makes trawling for (unauthorised) files very easy.

    If you are going to go the vbs scripting using File System Object , or
    remote scripting (i.e. distribute a script to every system and launch
    remotely to collect data), then do some research,

    www.microsoft.com/scripting
    http://msdn.microsoft.com

    You may be shocked but the 1st hit from www.google.com is to the MS
    Technet Script help, how to detect a shortcut file.

    Search for - how to determine a file is a shortcut , some of the text
    from the search is -

    Here’s a simple little script that lists all the shortcut files on a
    computer, .....

    Of course, you don’t have to wade through all the shortcuts on a
    computer. Suppose you just want to locate the executable file for a
    single shortcut. In that case, you could use a script similar to this:

    >On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:01:42 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:16:57 GMT, ryan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all...
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to examine all shortcut links (.lnk) on all computers
    >>>in a domain to check which server they are pointing to?

    >>Yes.
    >>
    >>Me

    Me
    why?, Jun 26, 2005
  5. ryan

    ryan Guest

    Thanks, that's got me pointed in the right direction.

    We took a look at the script route, but the new version of the
    shortcut is otherwise identical, other than the target.

    and my pragramming skills are fairly crap. On the plsu side, I'm a
    doamin admin!

    Anyhow, thanks again. If I can't get anywhere on this, I'm sure we'll
    find out who was linked ot that server pdq once we shut it down ;)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 06:52:08 GMT, why?

    ryan, Jun 26, 2005
  6. ryan

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:31:24 GMT, ryan wrote:

    >Thanks, that's got me pointed in the right direction.
    >
    >We took a look at the script route, but the new version of the
    >shortcut is otherwise identical, other than the target.
    >
    >and my pragramming skills are fairly crap. On the plsu side, I'm a
    >doamin admin!
    >
    >Anyhow, thanks again. If I can't get anywhere on this, I'm sure we'll
    >find out who was linked ot that server pdq once we shut it down ;)

    So that's it. Just turn it off, or a file monitor , change security to
    deny access.

    There are file monitoring tools as well, again www.google.com and one I
    like at www.sysinternals.com

    My vote is the turn it off, as that the simple way.

    >On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 06:52:08 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:27:03 GMT, ryan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Right on. that was great.

    >>YW, It did answer your question, it's possible.
    >>
    >>>Think you could share the method?

    >>No, because I know nothing about your setup, access rights, scripting
    >>host versions , OS versions , your programming skills, your ability to

    <snip>

    >>If you are going to go the vbs scripting using File System Object , or
    >>remote scripting (i.e. distribute a script to every system and launch
    >>remotely to collect data), then do some research,
    >>
    >>www.microsoft.com/scripting
    >>http://msdn.microsoft.com
    >>

    >>You may be shocked but the 1st hit from www.google.com is to the MS
    >>Technet Script help, how to detect a shortcut file.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jun 26, 2005