SEARCH ENGINE SILLINESS

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    It happens like clockwork....

    You go to your preferred search engine, type in a keyword to search
    for something, and get back what look like quite a few decent sites
    about your topic. The top twenty most relevant pages are displayed
    first, and at the bottom of this page are links to subsequent pages
    with more results.

    So you click on the first or second hit, and 30 - 45 sec. later comes
    back: "This Page Cannot Be displayed", "Welcome to XYZ Server - Can't
    find what you're looking for?", or some Error(404 typically).

    Now, WHO IS THE BEADY-EYED SUITCASE-FACE WHO DESIGNED THE ENGINES THIS
    WAY? And I'm not singling out Yahoo, Lycos or Google or any other
    search engine here, like I said this happens every FREAKING TIME ON
    ANY SEARCH ENGINE!! SHOULDN'T THE BUSTED WEBSITES BE AT THE END OF
    THE F---NG LIST INSTEAD OF IN THE TOP 10 OR 20?? HUHH?? ANSWER ME!!!

    Most of us simply don't have time to scroll down through fifteen hits
    to find one that actually works. Does anyone have insight into why
    this is?

    >sheesh....<

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Nov 28, 2003

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > It happens like clockwork....
    >
    > You go to your preferred search engine, type in a keyword to search
    > for something, and get back what look like quite a few decent sites
    > about your topic. The top twenty most relevant pages are displayed
    > first, and at the bottom of this page are links to subsequent pages
    > with more results.
    >
    > So you click on the first or second hit, and 30 - 45 sec. later comes
    > back: "This Page Cannot Be displayed", "Welcome to XYZ Server - Can't
    > find what you're looking for?", or some Error(404 typically).
    >
    > Now, WHO IS THE BEADY-EYED SUITCASE-FACE WHO DESIGNED THE ENGINES THIS
    > WAY? And I'm not singling out Yahoo, Lycos or Google or any other
    > search engine here, like I said this happens every FREAKING TIME ON
    > ANY SEARCH ENGINE!! SHOULDN'T THE BUSTED WEBSITES BE AT THE END OF
    > THE F---NG LIST INSTEAD OF IN THE TOP 10 OR 20?? HUHH?? ANSWER ME!!!
    >
    > Most of us simply don't have time to scroll down through fifteen hits
    > to find one that actually works. Does anyone have insight into why
    > this is?

    Unfortunately there is no way for any search engine to be 100%
    completely up to date so it is inevitable that some of the returned
    sites no longer exist or have been moved.

    The order they are shown in the results is in order of relevance, and a
    site which no longer existed should not be shown at all - not moved to
    the bottom of the list.

    Perhaps a read of
    http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2168031 may help you
    understand how they work.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 29, 2003

  3. ChrisCoaster

    Chet Guest

    You seem to be suffering under the illusion that "search engines" actually
    scan hundreds of millions of websites each time you ask for a search. Not
    true.

    Chet, Nov 29, 2003