    Has anyone seen this behaviour before and is there a way to stop it
    happening?

    TIA
    dino, Dec 28, 2006

  2. dino

    Guest

    dino wrote:
    > Strange behaviour in the Mail and Newsgroups section.
    >
    > Two of my NGs show that they have unread messages in them (Number in
    > bold to right of their name in the folders pane). When I click on the
    > NG the list of topics refreshes and the numbers disappear. However after
    > a few minutes they come back! They've been increasing slightly also.
    >
    > These two NGs have had filters running on them so I've deleted the
    > filters and restarted....no change.
    >
    > I've tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to them....no change.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this behaviour before and is there a way to stop it
    > happening?
    >
    > TIA

    close the program, then using your file manager, locate teh news
    section of your TB profile. Once found, you will find some *.msf
    files. Delete them. Now, restart TB, click on those newsgroups, and
    you will be asked to download the messages again. Does everything work
    now?
    , Dec 28, 2006

  3. dino

    dino Guest

    wrote:

    > close the program, then using your file manager, locate teh news
    > section of your TB profile. Once found, you will find some *.msf
    > files. Delete them. Now, restart TB, click on those newsgroups, and
    > you will be asked to download the messages again. Does everything work
    > now?

    TB = Thunderbird?

    If so then my query was about SeaMonkey. I tried your method above
    anyway but couldn't find a profile. I also searched for msf files but
    couldn't find any on my C drive at all.

    Any other suggestions?
    dino, Dec 28, 2006
  4. dino

    Guest

    dino wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > close the program, then using your file manager, locate teh news
    > > section of your TB profile. Once found, you will find some *.msf
    > > files. Delete them. Now, restart TB, click on those newsgroups, and
    > > you will be asked to download the messages again. Does everything work
    > > now?
    > >

    > TB = Thunderbird?
    >
    > If so then my query was about SeaMonkey. I tried your method above
    > anyway but couldn't find a profile. I also searched for msf files but
    > couldn't find any on my C drive at all.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?

    Ooops, my mistake. I meant SM, and not TB.

    The profile is hidden so you have to unhide window files, and you can
    do that by reading this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    also, to locate your profile, you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/seamonkey1.0b/installation.html#files_profiles
    , Dec 28, 2006
  5. dino

    dino Guest

    wrote:

    > Ooops, my mistake. I meant SM, and not TB.

    No problem :)

    > The profile is hidden so you have to unhide window files, and you can
    > do that by reading this:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx
    >
    > also, to locate your profile, you can read this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/seamonkey1.0b/installation.html#files_profiles

    I already had hidden files set to show but for some reason Search wasn't
    picking it up. Anyway your pointer found it for me and it appears to
    have worked. Thanks for that.

    I don't suppose you have any idea what caused it to happen in the first
    place?
    dino, Dec 28, 2006
  6. dino

    Guest

    dino wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Ooops, my mistake. I meant SM, and not TB.

    > No problem :)
    >
    > > The profile is hidden so you have to unhide window files, and you can
    > > do that by reading this:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx
    > >
    > > also, to locate your profile, you can read this:
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/seamonkey1.0b/installation.html#files_profiles
    > >

    > I already had hidden files set to show but for some reason Search wasn't
    > picking it up. Anyway your pointer found it for me and it appears to
    > have worked. Thanks for that.
    >
    > I don't suppose you have any idea what caused it to happen in the first
    > place?

    the *.msf files are indexing files. They tell the program which way
    things are sorted, which ones are labelled, which ones are flagged, and
    other things. Every once in a while, this file can become corrupted.
    How and why, nobody really knows. Deleting them seems to work.
    , Dec 28, 2006