SeaMonkey Beta released

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ed Mullen, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Leonidas Jones, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Ed Mullen

    Stubby Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/
    >>

    > I've covered it in secnews too, Ed.
    >
    > Its a great day!
    >
    > Lee

    Can somebody tell me what "Seamonkey" is? It is not clear from a few
    web pages that I peeked at.

    Stubby, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Ed Mullen

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 20/12/05 08:30, Stubby scribbled:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/
    >>>

    >> I've covered it in secnews too, Ed.
    >>
    >> Its a great day!
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Can somebody tell me what "Seamonkey" is? It is not clear from a few
    > web pages that I peeked at.

    The continuation by a 3rd party of the old mozilla suite
    [which was dropped by mozilla]

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,

    Jedi Fans, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Ed Mullen

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Ed Mullen* wrote:

    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

    I wonder why they still built in the WYSIWYG webpage composer in
    Seamonkey? I prefer to see a ref to Nvu as an "add on" for those why
    want a composer. Can it be excluded from the install?

    --
    /Arne

    Tech Support: Your password is the small letter a as in apple,
    a capital letter V as in Victor, the number 7.
    Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?

    Arne, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Ed Mullen

    Stubby Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    > On 20/12/05 08:30, Stubby scribbled:

    >>>I've covered it in secnews too, Ed.
    >>>
    >>>Its a great day!
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >>Can somebody tell me what "Seamonkey" is? It is not clear from a few
    >>web pages that I peeked at.

    > The continuation by a 3rd party of the old mozilla suite
    > [which was dropped by mozilla]

    Is only the difference in the installation process? Why does the world
    need a third choice?

    Stubby, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Arne skrev:
    > Once upon a time *Ed Mullen* wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

    > I wonder why they still built in the WYSIWYG webpage composer in
    > Seamonkey? I prefer to see a ref to Nvu as an "add on" for those why
    > want a composer. Can it be excluded from the install?

    NVU technlogy will *someday* be introduced back into composer/the suite.

    Vegard Krog Petersen, Dec 20, 2005
  8. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stubby wrote:
    > Jedi Fans wrote:

    >>> Can somebody tell me what "Seamonkey" is? It is not clear from a few
    >>> web pages that I peeked at.

    >> The continuation by a 3rd party of the old mozilla suite
    >> [which was dropped by mozilla]
    >>

    > Is only the difference in the installation process? Why does the world
    > need a third choice?

    The Mozilla Suite came *before* Firefox and Thunderbird.

    http://www.ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox.html
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html

    Mozilla Suite (SeaMonkey) = integrated Internet application
    Mozilla Firefox = browser only, unintegrated, stand-alone
    Mozilla Thunderbird = mail/news only, unintegrated, stand-alone

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 20, 2005
  9. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Arne wrote:

    Collaboration, n.: A literary partnership based on the false assumption
    that the other person can spell.> Once upon a time *Ed Mullen* wrote:

    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

    > I wonder why they still built in the WYSIWYG webpage composer in
    > Seamonkey? I prefer to see a ref to Nvu as an "add on" for those why
    > want a composer. Can it be excluded from the install?

    The plan I've heard is that (one day) Nvu will be re-integrated into
    SeaMonkey to replace the Composer. No, you cannot not install the
    Composer component. It is, after all, one of the components that makes
    SeaMonkey an integrated application.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 20, 2005
  10. Ed Mullen

    charles Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:09:38 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

    Does anyone know if SeaMonkey Mail has incorporated the Thunderbird
    option to block loading remote images in mail? The Suite had the
    plumbing for it but not the interface to unblock.

    I couldn't find it on the changelog and it is the main feature that
    keeps me going back and forth.

    charles, Dec 20, 2005
  11. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Yes, if this is what you mean: http://edmullen.net/temp/cap1.jpg

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 20, 2005
  12. Ed Mullen

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Ed Mullen* wrote:

    > Arne wrote:
    >
    > Collaboration, n.: A literary partnership based on the false assumption
    > that the other person can spell.> Once upon a time *Ed Mullen* wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

    >> I wonder why they still built in the WYSIWYG webpage composer in
    >> Seamonkey? I prefer to see a ref to Nvu as an "add on" for those why
    >> want a composer. Can it be excluded from the install?
    >>

    > The plan I've heard is that (one day) Nvu will be re-integrated into
    > SeaMonkey to replace the Composer. No, you cannot not install the
    > Composer component. It is, after all, one of the components that makes
    > SeaMonkey an integrated application.

    I only wish (in customized install) there could be an option to opt out
    the component you don't want to be installed. As for now in Mozilla, you
    can choose only to install the browser or (almost) everthing. No option
    for opting out the composer, if you only want the mail/news and browser.

    --
    /Arne

    Tech Support: Are you sure you used the right password?
    Customer: Yes, I'm sure. I saw my colleague do it.
    Tech Support: Can you tell me what the password was?
    Customer: Five stars.

    Arne, Dec 20, 2005
  13. Ed Mullen

    charles Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:59:25 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >charles wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:09:38 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

    >> Does anyone know if SeaMonkey Mail has incorporated the Thunderbird
    >> option to block loading remote images in mail? The Suite had the
    >> plumbing for it but not the interface to unblock.
    >>
    >> I couldn't find it on the changelog and it is the main feature that
    >> keeps me going back and forth.
    >>

    >Yes, if this is what you mean: http://edmullen.net/temp/cap1.jpg

    Yes, well almost. Thunderbird has an additional check to allow remotes
    if sender is in my X addressbook.

    charles, Dec 20, 2005
  14. Ed Mullen

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 20/12/05 13:32, Stubby scribbled:
    > Jedi Fans wrote:

    >>> Can somebody tell me what "Seamonkey" is? It is not clear from a few
    >>> web pages that I peeked at.

    >> The continuation by a 3rd party of the old mozilla suite
    >> [which was dropped by mozilla]
    >>

    > Is only the difference in the installation process? Why does the world
    > need a third choice?

    One Google, One Life.

    Jedi Fans, Dec 20, 2005
  15. Ed Mullen

    Adrian Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/

    Thank you.
    Just what I came looking for.
    The Suite Rulz :)

    --
    ^^v^^ Adrian ^^v^^
    "When you can't do experiments, you have philosophers. It's like those guys over in the philosophy department who give the same exam questions every semester but change the answers."

    Adrian, Dec 23, 2005