Seagate Warranties Jump to Five Years

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. In article <>, colinco <> was seen to type:
    >In article Mutlley says...
    >> I wonder if the price will clime as well.
    >>
    >> But nice to see the extension ..
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117040,tk,dn072604X,00.asp
    >>
    >> "After compressing hard drive warranties to just a year, Seagate is
    >> reversing the trend, announcing a heady five-year warranty for its
    >> internal desktop and notebook hard drives."
    >>

    >Marketing ploy. Not a technical breakthrough that makes the drive any
    >better.

    Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
    drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
    costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
    they have data like that, it's no bad thing :)

    Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
    a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
    the card too.

    Bruce

    In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave
    is olds.
    Lord Vetinari, ¨The Truth¨ Terry Pratchet

    Caution => followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    colinco Guest

    colinco, Jul 26, 2004
  4. In article <>, colinco <> was seen to type:
    >In article Bruce Sinclair says...
    >> Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
    >> drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
    >> costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
    >> they have data like that, it's no bad thing :)
    >>
    >> Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
    >> a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
    >> the card too.
    >>

    >Seagate were one of the first to downgrade the warranty period to 1 year
    >only a short time ago. The vast majority of their sales are to OEM
    >system builders where the 5 Yr won't apply.

    That might do it too :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    colinco Guest

    In article Bruce Sinclair says...
    > Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
    > drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
    > costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
    > they have data like that, it's no bad thing :)
    >
    > Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
    > a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
    > the card too.

    Seagate were one of the first to downgrade the warranty period to 1 year
    only a short time ago. The vast majority of their sales are to OEM
    system builders where the 5 Yr won't apply.

    I wonder if the drives sold in NZ are through an approved Seagate retail
    channel.

    colinco, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
    > drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
    > costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
    > they have data like that, it's no bad thing :)
    >
    > Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
    > a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
    > the card too.

    I have never needed a card or anything. When seatools online reports it as
    defective, it fills the RMA form out with all it can, I add my details, it asks
    me to print a page and courier it with the drive to there freight agent at the
    airport, and a few days later a reconditioned drive arrives.

    Richard, Jul 27, 2004
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    thing Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > I wonder if the price will clime as well.
    >
    > But nice to see the extension ..
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117040,tk,dn072604X,00.asp
    >
    > "After compressing hard drive warranties to just a year, Seagate is
    > reversing the trend, announcing a heady five-year warranty for its
    > internal desktop and notebook hard drives."

    I think they saw they were loosing a PR battle with people buying hds
    with longer warranties. I do it if a drive has one year and a second is
    $5 more for 2 or $15 for 3 years then I get the $15 more expensive one.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 27, 2004
  8. In <4105f6a4$> Richard wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
    >> drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
    >> costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
    >> they have data like that, it's no bad thing :)
    >>
    >> Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there
    >> is a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or
    >> keeping the card too.

    > I have never needed a card or anything. When seatools online reports
    > it as defective, it fills the RMA form out with all it can, I add my
    > details, it asks me to print a page and courier it with the drive to
    > there freight agent at the airport, and a few days later a
    > reconditioned drive arrives.

    There's an interesting concept: a reconditioned hard drive. I wonder if
    they open them up and give the platter a good polishing? ;o)

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 27, 2004
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    EMB Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > There's an interesting concept: a reconditioned hard drive. I wonder if
    > they open them up and give the platter a good polishing? ;o)

    Like the bad of days of exposed disk platters that needed a good wipe
    with IPA to get the detritus off them after a couple of years (or
    otherwise they destroyed the heads).

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 27, 2004
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message

    > There's an interesting concept: a reconditioned hard drive. I wonder

    if
    > they open them up and give the platter a good polishing? ;o)

    If the platters are good but the electronics are shot, they can
    "recondition" the drive by simply replacing the circuit board.
    Otherwise, they send you a brand new drive.

    Patrick Bold, Jul 27, 2004
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > If the platters are good but the electronics are shot, they can
    > "recondition" the drive by simply replacing the circuit board.
    > Otherwise, they send you a brand new drive.

    Ive never had a new one come back, just reconditions

    Richard, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > Ive never had a new one come back, just reconditions

    Well, then I would assume your problems were with the electronics. What
    exactly do you suppose "reconditioned" might otherwise mean?
    Personally, I've only ever had one drive fail on me -- but Seagate since
    me a new one straight away with a fresh 3-year warranty. It's their
    option, of course.

    Patrick Bold, Jul 28, 2004
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > Well, then I would assume your problems were with the electronics. What
    > exactly do you suppose "reconditioned" might otherwise mean?
    > Personally, I've only ever had one drive fail on me -- but Seagate since
    > me a new one straight away with a fresh 3-year warranty. It's their
    > option, of course.

    One was electrical, the others have all being starting to give smart errors, and
    in once case I lost a file on the drive.

    Richard, Jul 28, 2004
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > I wonder if the price will clime as well.
    >
    > But nice to see the extension ..
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117040,tk,dn072604X,00.asp
    >
    > "After compressing hard drive warranties to just a year, Seagate is
    > reversing the trend, announcing a heady five-year warranty for its
    > internal desktop and notebook hard drives."

    Before anyone gets the wrong impression, it's worth looking at Seagate's
    site. Only certain products qualify for the extended warranty.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/service/warranty.html

    "All Seagate enterprise products (SCSI and FibreChannel interface
    products) ship with a 5 year limited warranty. Warranty begins on the
    date of shipment by Seagate.
    "For warranty periods on Seagate personal storage products shipped
    through distribution channels, click here. Warranty begins on the date
    of shipment by Seagate.

    All Seagate retail kits (which include a box, hard drive, cables,
    installation guide, resource CD) have a 1 year limited warranty. For
    more information on retail product warranty, click here.

    Patrick Bold, Jul 28, 2004
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > One was electrical, the others have all being starting to give smart

    errors, and
    > in once case I lost a file on the drive.

    Sorry to hear that. All out of warranty now, I suppose.

    I note from the Seagate site, btw, that the warranty for retail drive
    kits and those sold through distributors remains as is -- 1 year (or
    less, depending on date-of-shipment). Only drives identified as
    "Enterprise Products" will get 5-year coverage.

    Patrick Bold, Jul 28, 2004
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    Bob McLellan Guest

    The problem for the sellers and customers is administering the warranty
    over a five year period. With the dynamics in the supply chain it is not
    easy to get the warranty fulfilled.

    Bob McLellan, Jul 28, 2004
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Tim Guest

    Phew.... I thought you had read it wrong for a moment since SCSI has always
    had a 5 year warrantee.

    The warrantee appears to apply to everything that I have seen in recent
    times. I have neve seen a retail box so (odd choice) no one I know will have
    any with less than 5 year warrantees.

    Great News!

    What is the overall opinion of Seagate drives in terms of reliability?

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 28, 2004
  18. Bruce Sinclair

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:09:12 -0400, "Patrick Bold" <>
    wrote:

    >"Richard" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> One was electrical, the others have all being starting to give smart

    >errors, and
    >> in once case I lost a file on the drive.
    >>

    >Sorry to hear that. All out of warranty now, I suppose.
    >
    >I note from the Seagate site, btw, that the warranty for retail drive
    >kits and those sold through distributors remains as is -- 1 year (or
    >less, depending on date-of-shipment). Only drives identified as
    >"Enterprise Products" will get 5-year coverage.

    I got a 200gb one a couple of weeks ago and it came with a 3 year warantee.

    Craig Shore, Jul 28, 2004
  19. Bruce Sinclair

    EMB Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:
    > I note from the Seagate site, btw, that the warranty for retail drive
    > kits and those sold through distributors remains as is -- 1 year (or
    > less, depending on date-of-shipment). Only drives identified as
    > "Enterprise Products" will get 5-year coverage.

    I think the site hasn't been updated then. The press release on thir
    site reads "Seagate Technology, the world's leading hard disc drive
    maker, today announced it has introduced a 5-year warranty, effective
    immediately, on every Seagate internal PC, notebook and enterprise hard
    drive shipped through its distribution and retail channels throughout
    the world. This unprecedented move establishes Seagate as the undisputed
    leader in providing best-in-class warranty protection, boosting standard
    1-year and 3-year warranties to an industry-leading 5 years on the
    world's most reliable hard drives."

    Th implication is that it's across the board, not just enterprise items.

    EMB, Jul 28, 2004
  20. Bruce Sinclair

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Jul 28, 2004