Seagate ships first PC operating system pre-loaded on value-priced hard drives!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutley, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    Mutley, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Mutley wrote:
    > Here's an interesting take on preinstalled OS.
    >
    > http://www.lindows.com/lindows_seagate.php

    Now formatting your drive before use isn't just a good idea, it's
    compulsory! :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Mutley

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:50:18 +1200, Rider wrote:

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> Mutley wrote:
    >> > Here's an interesting take on preinstalled OS.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.lindows.com/lindows_seagate.php

    >> Now formatting your drive before use isn't just a good idea, it's
    >> compulsory! :)
    >>

    > LMAO *nodding*
    >
    > Rider

    Yep - get rid of that proprietary shit and load a *real* OS,
    something unencumbered like *BSD, Debian, Manadrake etc.
    Evil Bastard, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Olson Johnson wrote:
    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    >>> Now formatting your drive before use isn't just a good idea, it's
    >>> compulsory! :)
    >>>

    >> LMAO *nodding*
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > Or continue to buy the preformatted Fat32 ones
    > Its just an option
    >
    > You don't have to react with total hysteria.

    Lindows manages to combine 1/2 of the functionality of Windows, with 1/2 of
    the functionality of Linux. Somehow this adds up to an OS that works about
    1/4 as well as either Windows or Linux.

    Plus it costs money! Bleh!

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Re: Seagate ships first PC operating system pre-loaded on value-pricedhard drives!

    Hi there,

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Lindows manages to combine 1/2 of the functionality of Windows, with 1/2 of
    > the functionality of Linux. Somehow this adds up to an OS that works about
    > 1/4 as well as either Windows or Linux.

    Have you tried Lindows? Or Lycoris/DesktopLX? It all depends how you
    define functionality. Windows-centric functionality means including
    10 million things that 99% of us will never use...

    > Plus it costs money! Bleh!

    You can still download it for free. Its a lot cheaper than buying
    Windows, and despite your claims functionality for a home user will
    be more than adequate. Oh, and you also get the following...

    - No virus crap
    - No EULA bullshit

    I'd plump for a more Linux-centric OS, than one designed to try and
    give Windows familiarity to a Linux heart, but its a stepping
    stone for those wanting to exercise their right to a choice...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>
    >> Lindows manages to combine 1/2 of the functionality of Windows, with
    >> 1/2 of the functionality of Linux. Somehow this adds up to an OS
    >> that works about 1/4 as well as either Windows or Linux.

    > Have you tried Lindows? Or Lycoris/DesktopLX? It all depends how you
    > define functionality. Windows-centric functionality means including
    > 10 million things that 99% of us will never use...

    Doesn't it only have support for a very limited number of Windows
    applications?

    > > Plus it costs money! Bleh!

    > You can still download it for free.

    Ah! Didn't know that! Makes it a whole lot more interesting then :).
    > Oh, and you also get the following...
    >
    > - No virus crap

    And the linux antivirus programs are just created for fun?

    > - No EULA bullshit

    Can't disagree with this one. However, the amount that you're limited by the
    Microsoft EULA depends heavily on how much you care :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Mutley

    steve Guest

    steve, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Mutley

    steve Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock allegedly said:

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Lindows manages to combine 1/2 of the functionality of Windows, with
    >>> 1/2 of the functionality of Linux. Somehow this adds up to an OS
    >>> that works about 1/4 as well as either Windows or Linux.

    >> Have you tried Lindows? Or Lycoris/DesktopLX? It all depends how you
    >> define functionality. Windows-centric functionality means including
    >> 10 million things that 99% of us will never use...

    > Doesn't it only have support for a very limited number of Windows
    > applications?

    Depends. With WINE, you can make it run a huge range of Win32 programs.
    Usually just until you have located and installed the Linux equivalent.

    >> > Plus it costs money! Bleh!

    >> You can still download it for free.

    > Ah! Didn't know that! Makes it a whole lot more interesting then :).
    >> Oh, and you also get the following...
    >>
    >> - No virus crap

    > And the linux antivirus programs are just created for fun?

    I've never used one.....and don't know anyone who has.

    >> - No EULA bullshit

    > Can't disagree with this one. However, the amount that you're limited by
    > the Microsoft EULA depends heavily on how much you care :).

    That EULA has legal force behind it. If you get caught out, then you can be
    truly screwed.

    Why risk it? Why bother?

    Micrsoft can keep their (increasingly) Nazi-ware.
    steve, Sep 24, 2003
  9. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Olson Johnson wrote:
    > > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > >> LMAO *nodding*
    > >>
    > >> Rider
    > >>

    > > Or continue to buy the preformatted Fat32 ones
    > > Its just an option
    > >
    > > You don't have to react with total hysteria.

    > Lindows manages to combine 1/2 of the functionality of Windows, with 1/2

    of
    > the functionality of Linux. Somehow this adds up to an OS that works about
    > 1/4 as well as either Windows or Linux.

    Lindows is a Debian distribution with a n00b interface layer and
    autodetection added, its trivial to apt-get any other applications from
    debian, so it can have any of the Linux functionality that you choose.
    It doesn't really have any of the functionality of Windows, because there is
    no way it can cater to a mindset that defines functionality as being
    synonymous with Microsoft Windows.

    And its free on a cheap hard disk.

    Its a great way of not having to reformat a HD to get rid of FAT32 for Linux
    users.

    So there are 2 choices, the FAT32 version mmm and the Lindows version
    MMMMMMMMMMM.
    Lindows hat meer MMMMMMMM

    But choose whichever one you like and accord everyone else the same respect.
    Olson Johnson, Sep 24, 2003
  10. Mutley

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:22:20 +0000, Mutley wrote:

    > Here's an interesting take on preinstalled OS.

    Spin, not take.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
    Gordon, Sep 24, 2003
  11. Mutley

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:23:17 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Mutley allegedly said:
    >
    >> Here's an interesting take on preinstalled OS.
    >>
    >> http://www.lindows.com/lindows_seagate.php

    > Great idea.

    But does Time say that it will fly.

    Gordon, Sep 24, 2003
  12. Mutley

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
    > You can still download it for free. Its a lot cheaper than buying
    > Windows

    I assume your talking about Lindows here... where can I download it, I cant
    find it anywhere.

    > - No EULA bullshit

    Actually you do with Lindows from what I have read of the reviews.
    T.N.O., Sep 24, 2003
  13. Mutley

    GraB Guest

    Out of interest, there is a bootable CD version of Lindows, like the
    Knoppix bootable CD, coming up on the next APC mag. Apparently you
    can use a USB memory stick and save your documents and settings
    between sessions, making for a very portable OS.
    GraB, Sep 24, 2003
  14. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
    > > You can still download it for free. Its a lot cheaper than buying
    > > Windows

    > I assume your talking about Lindows here... where can I download it, I

    cant
    > find it anywhere.
    >
    > > - No EULA bullshit

    > Actually you do with Lindows from what I have read of the reviews.

    If you have the skills to download a distro and burn it, you have
    progressed beyond Lindows and might as well head directly for debian or
    knoppix.
    Olson Johnson, Sep 24, 2003
  15. Mutley

    Rob Guest

    "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message

    > If you have the skills to download a distro and burn it, you have
    > progressed beyond Lindows and might as well head directly for debian or
    > knoppix.

    Except that Knoppix is closed at the moment until all this patent baloney is
    sorted, and seeing as there are lawyers involved, bye bye Knoppix. It was
    nice knowing you.

    BTW, does anyone in Welly have a copy I could borrow? I only got the pcworld
    cover cd version.

    Rob
    Rob, Sep 24, 2003
  16. "Rob" <> wrote in message

    > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > If you have the skills to download a distro and burn it, you have
    > > progressed beyond Lindows and might as well head directly for debian or
    > > knoppix.
    > >

    > Except that Knoppix is closed at the moment until all this patent baloney

    is
    > sorted, and seeing as there are lawyers involved, bye bye Knoppix. It was
    > nice knowing you.

    Try clicking on the link to the mirrors that I included.
    3.3 is on the mirrors now, I have it downloaded but not brnt yt
    The protest notice on the site front page is just that, a protest, no law
    has been passed and no lawyers are involved.
    The site is operating as normal if you click on the word knoppix in the
    English paragraph

    As is the excellent info and forum site for knoppix www.knoppix.net
    Olson Johnson, Sep 24, 2003
  17. Mutley

    Rob Guest

    Olson Johnson wrote:
    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Try clicking on the link to the mirrors that I included.
    > 3.3 is on the mirrors now, I have it downloaded but not brnt yt
    > The protest notice on the site front page is just that, a protest, no
    > law has been passed and no lawyers are involved.
    > The site is operating as normal if you click on the word knoppix in
    > the English paragraph
    >
    > As is the excellent info and forum site for knoppix www.knoppix.net

    Thanks for that. Missed that particular post.

    Rob
    Rob, Sep 25, 2003
  18. Re: Seagate ships first PC operating system pre-loaded on value-pricedhard drives!

    Hi there,

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>
    >>>Lindows manages to combine 1/2 of the functionality of Windows, with
    >>>1/2 of the functionality of Linux. Somehow this adds up to an OS
    >>>that works about 1/4 as well as either Windows or Linux.

    >>Have you tried Lindows? Or Lycoris/DesktopLX? It all depends how you
    >>define functionality. Windows-centric functionality means including
    >>10 million things that 99% of us will never use...

    > Doesn't it only have support for a very limited number of Windows
    > applications?

    If you run Wine you can use all the Win32 apps Wine can...thats a
    pretty sizeable list now. I meant that Microsofts definition of
    funtionality seems to be 10 million things that 99% of us will
    never use.

    >> > Plus it costs money! Bleh!

    >>You can still download it for free.

    > Ah! Didn't know that! Makes it a whole lot more interesting then :).
    >
    >>Oh, and you also get the following...
    >>
    >>- No virus crap

    > And the linux antivirus programs are just created for fun?

    No, they are created to stop the spread of Windows viruses through
    generic technologies like dhtml, java etc. There are a few native
    Linux viruses I believe, but I've never encountered one or heard about
    any Linux user being got...

    >>- No EULA bullshit

    > Can't disagree with this one. However, the amount that you're limited by the
    > Microsoft EULA depends heavily on how much you care :).

    Lindows OS has an end-user agreement too, but I would imagine it would
    be quite friendly compared to the MS EULA...

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 25, 2003
  19. Re: Seagate ships first PC operating system pre-loaded on value-pricedhard drives!

    Hi there,

    GraB wrote:
    > Out of interest, there is a bootable CD version of Lindows, like the
    > Knoppix bootable CD, coming up on the next APC mag. Apparently you
    > can use a USB memory stick and save your documents and settings
    > between sessions, making for a very portable OS.

    Cool. APC have some not-half-bad Linux support IMHO. I'm a
    regular buyer, and this coming month looks to be no exception
    if Lindows bootable is included among the discs...

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 25, 2003
  20. Mutley

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
    > > I assume your talking about Lindows here... where can I download it, I

    cant
    > > find it anywhere.

    > Try something obvious, like www.lindows.com and then click on the nice
    > link with the bright red word "FREE' in it...

    Ahhh, re-design of the site since I last looked.

    > >>- No EULA bullshit

    > > Actually you do with Lindows from what I have read of the reviews.

    > Yes there is, but it would be more like the GPL or Lesser GPL than
    > the nazi M$ EULA...

    It depends on the non-GPL software that you download with "click and run"
    T.N.O., Sep 25, 2003