Seagate SATA hard drive Nightmare! HELP!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by josephclange@gmail.com, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all-- Hopefully someone can help.

    I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, 2ghz, 1 gb RAM. I recently bought a
    Serial ATA PCMCIA card so i could hookup a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB
    drive. It is an internal 3.5" drive that i am running externally- with
    an enclosure.

    I went through all the Disk Wizard setup with no problem - it said i
    formatted the drive and everything should be peachy. But when i try to
    access the drive through Windows XP, it says it is not formatted. I
    have tried many times to format it through Disk Manager, but it is
    extremely slow... (only 23% OVERNIGHT).

    All drivers are current, and cannot be updated. I have also gone to
    the dell.com site and updated my BIOS - but to no avail. The PCMCIA
    card seems to work fine-- the drive is recognized but it is seen as
    formatted.

    Another thing-- when the SATA cables are hooked up and i restart, my
    laptop stalls on the "Windows XP with scrolling status bar" and will
    stay there forever, until i power down, and disconnect the cable.

    I can't seem to crack this one. Any options?

    , Jul 30, 2006

  2. Mistoffolees Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all-- Hopefully someone can help.
    >
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, 2ghz, 1 gb RAM. I recently bought a
    > Serial ATA PCMCIA card so i could hookup a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB
    > drive. It is an internal 3.5" drive that i am running externally- with
    > an enclosure.
    >
    > I went through all the Disk Wizard setup with no problem - it said i
    > formatted the drive and everything should be peachy. But when i try to
    > access the drive through Windows XP, it says it is not formatted. I
    > have tried many times to format it through Disk Manager, but it is
    > extremely slow... (only 23% OVERNIGHT).
    >
    > All drivers are current, and cannot be updated. I have also gone to
    > the dell.com site and updated my BIOS - but to no avail. The PCMCIA
    > card seems to work fine-- the drive is recognized but it is seen as
    > formatted.
    >
    > Another thing-- when the SATA cables are hooked up and i restart, my
    > laptop stalls on the "Windows XP with scrolling status bar" and will
    > stay there forever, until i power down, and disconnect the cable.
    >
    > I can't seem to crack this one. Any options?

    To format 160 GB overnight is terribly slow. There are other
    options instead of the PCMCIA card, such as a S-ATA external
    enclosure or dock that connects directly to the USB 2.0 or
    Firewire ports. The best way to prep the S-ATA drive would be
    to use a desktop with a external S-ATA port instead of the
    laptop.

    Mistoffolees, Jul 30, 2006