Seagate reduce warranty to two years.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    two years. (They were three previously.)

    I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.

    I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    They still have a 60 month warranty.

    Not much being said on teh intarwebs yet I thought that this was
    significant. <shrug>
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2011

  2. In article <j0qfe6$ai3$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    >However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    >have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    >two years. (They were three previously.)
    >
    >I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    >but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    >now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.
    >
    >I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    >They still have a 60 month warranty.
    >
    >Not much being said on teh intarwebs yet I thought that this was
    >significant. <shrug>

    Consumer guarantees act still applies for personal use, and I don'tt know
    about you, but I would certainly expect HDs to last at least 3 and probably
    5.
    Sure says something about the manufacturer though ... and nothing good. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 28, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-07-28, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    > However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    > have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    > two years. (They were three previously.)

    Funny old world we live in. Remember they, Seagate went back to one year,
    down from the three and the out cry was long and loud.

    > I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    > They still have a 60 month warranty.

    Well if you build a sports car, you hardly build a cheap one.

    Gordon, Jul 28, 2011
  4. On 28 Jul 2011 05:10:23 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2011-07-28, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    >> However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    >> have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    >> two years. (They were three previously.)

    >Funny old world we live in. Remember they, Seagate went back to one year,
    >down from the three and the out cry was long and loud.
    >

    >> I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    >> They still have a 60 month warranty.

    >Well if you build a sports car, you hardly build a cheap one.

    I bought four WDC2001FASS 2 Tbyte Black drives last year within a
    couple of months of each other, and had two fail in under six months.
    The other two are fine. So, even the Black drives seem to be built
    badly now. It seems to be pot luck as to whether drives will last or
    not. The two replacement drives I was given (WDC2002FAEX, same drive
    with SATA 3 interface) are both OK 101 and 138 days after replacement,
    but I have my fingers crossed.

    IMHO, drives should last a minimum of 5 years for cheap ones and 10
    years for expensive ones. My IBM SCSI drives in my OS/2 box are
    nearly 10 years old now, running 24/7, and are fine. It is clearly
    possible to make drives last well, but cut-throat competition seems to
    be making it impossible to sell a well-built drive as they would be
    too expensive. So Seagate and WD seem to be making lots of bad drives
    and just replacing them under warranty. That must be a cheaper
    strategy for them than making good drives. My Samsung and Hitachi
    drives bought in the last three years have not given me any trouble
    (yet!), but the Hitachis are still in their first few months of use.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 28, 2011
  5. ~misfit~

    David Empson Guest

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    > However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    > have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    > two years. (They were three previously.)
    >
    > I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    > but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    > now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.

    Thanks for the tip, Shaun. I was about to buy some drives and I might
    not have noticed. WD got my money this time.

    Almost all my other separately purchased drives are Seagates. Web site
    visit coming up to tell them this policy change lost them two sales.

    > I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    > They still have a 60 month warranty.

    Judging from Ascent, Seagate still offers 5 year warranty on their
    enterprise drives, and oddly also on the Momentus XT hybrid laptop
    drive.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jul 28, 2011
  6. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:53:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    >However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    >have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    >two years. (They were three previously.)
    >
    >I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    >but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    >now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.
    >
    >I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    >They still have a 60 month warranty.

    Very interesting as I'm in the market for a 2TB external drive and
    have avoided the WD specials on at the moment due to the reputation
    they "used" to have when compared to Seagate.

    Warranties aside, does anyone have an opinion on what is the most
    reliable, long lasting external hard drive on the market? Price is not
    as much as a factor as reliability.

    Donchano, Jul 28, 2011
  7. On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:22:00 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:53:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    >>However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    >>have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    >>two years. (They were three previously.)
    >>
    >>I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    >>but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    >>now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.
    >>
    >>I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    >>They still have a 60 month warranty.

    >Very interesting as I'm in the market for a 2TB external drive and
    >have avoided the WD specials on at the moment due to the reputation
    >they "used" to have when compared to Seagate.
    >
    >Warranties aside, does anyone have an opinion on what is the most
    >reliable, long lasting external hard drive on the market? Price is not
    >as much as a factor as reliability.

    As external drives are just internal drives in a case, I would say you
    need to avoid both WD and Seagate. Which does not leave a lot of
    choice, except to buy a case yourself and put a Samsung or Hitachi
    drive in it. If you want long life from a Seagate or WD, you probably
    need to pay extra for an enterprise class drive, although I have also
    had one enterprise class Seagate fail last year in its first year of
    life. My opinions are based on performance drives though - with the
    slow 5400 rpm drives things may be different. I only use 7200 rpm
    drives, even in my externals, as I use eSATA, not USB.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 28, 2011
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs David Empson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >
    >> S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the
    >> computer world. However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a
    >> couple of days ago (I have a wholesale account with them) saying
    >> that Seagate warranties are now two years. (They were three
    >> previously.)
    >>
    >> I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about
    >> it but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure
    >> enough, they now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36
    >> months last week.

    > Thanks for the tip, Shaun. I was about to buy some drives and I might
    > not have noticed. WD got my money this time.

    You're welcome. I'm quite surprised it wasn't more widely discussed to be
    honest.

    > Almost all my other separately purchased drives are Seagates. Web site
    > visit coming up to tell them this policy change lost them two sales.
    >
    >> I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio
    >> Blacks. They still have a 60 month warranty.

    > Judging from Ascent, Seagate still offers 5 year warranty on their
    > enterprise drives, and oddly also on the Momentus XT hybrid laptop
    > drive.

    Yes, various lines have various warranties with both companies. WD are the
    same, the 'Black' line is 5 years, most of the rest are 3 years. Seagate was
    the same but now, as of 2nd July, dropped it's minimum warranty for it's
    bulk lines from three years to two years.

    IIRC a few years back Seagate gave a 5 year warranty on *all* of their
    drives and were the only company that did so. That's why I used Seagate
    almost solely for years. Then they dropped it to 3 years for bulk lines
    while WD raised theirs to 5 years for premium lines, roughly equalling it
    out.

    Now, with Seagate dropping the bulk lines to 2 years I'm more inclined to
    buy WD myself. <ponders> I wonder if the drop in warranty has anything to do
    with Seagate's recent acquisition of Maxtor?

    Actually, as I understand it Seagate and Western Digital are the only one
    making desktop HDDs these days. Seagate bought Maxtor a while back and are
    currently taking over Samsung's HDD manufacuring. Western Digital are doing
    the same with Hitachi (who bought IBM a few years back). The only other
    player is Toshiba and they only make laptop drives.

    Of course there are any number of companies making SSD 'hard drives'.
    However I think that the good old rotating platter mechanical drive will be
    with us for quite a while yet.

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2011
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:53:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the
    >> computer world. However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a
    >> couple of days ago (I have a wholesale account with them) saying
    >> that Seagate warranties are now two years. (They were three
    >> previously.)
    >>
    >> I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about
    >> it but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure
    >> enough, they now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36
    >> months last week.
    >>
    >> I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio
    >> Blacks. They still have a 60 month warranty.

    > Very interesting as I'm in the market for a 2TB external drive and
    > have avoided the WD specials on at the moment due to the reputation
    > they "used" to have when compared to Seagate.
    >
    > Warranties aside, does anyone have an opinion on what is the most
    > reliable, long lasting external hard drive on the market? Price is not
    > as much as a factor as reliability.

    Sorry, I have no experience of external drives (as such). I use internal
    drives in USB 'docks' (and SATA docks in my 'server').

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2011
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <j0qfe6$ai3$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the
    >> computer world. However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a
    >> couple of days ago (I have a wholesale account with them) saying
    >> that Seagate warranties are now two years. (They were three
    >> previously.)
    >>
    >> I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about
    >> it but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure
    >> enough, they now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36
    >> months last week.
    >>
    >> I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio
    >> Blacks. They still have a 60 month warranty.
    >>
    >> Not much being said on teh intarwebs yet I thought that this was
    >> significant. <shrug>

    > Consumer guarantees act still applies for personal use, and I don'tt
    > know
    > about you, but I would certainly expect HDs to last at least 3 and
    > probably 5.

    Yeah... Depending on how much you pay for the HDD you might get some
    official agreement.

    > Sure says something about the manufacturer though ... and nothing
    > good. :)

    Yeah, worrying indeed now that there are really only two companies making
    HDDs. How long before WD follow suit?

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2011
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-07-28, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the
    >> computer world. However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a
    >> couple of days ago (I have a wholesale account with them) saying
    >> that Seagate warranties are now two years. (They were three
    >> previously.)

    > Funny old world we live in. Remember they, Seagate went back to one
    > year, down from the three and the out cry was long and loud.

    Yeah, they backed off from that move pretty quickly. Then they went up to 5
    years for most all drives for a while. IT didn't make a huge difference back
    then as most drives fail in the first month of use if they're going to fail
    ( they call it infant mortality).

    However I wonder if this warranty change was bought about by the fact that a
    lot of drives are being used for off-line storage? A drive could be two and
    a half years old but might not have clocked up more than a couple of weeks
    use time, then fail due to infant mortality even though it's 2.5 years old?

    >> I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio
    >> Blacks. They still have a 60 month warranty.

    > Well if you build a sports car, you hardly build a cheap one.

    Yet, amongst 7.2Krpm laptop HDDs the WD Black 320GB is in fact cheaper than
    the Seagate 7200.4 320GB (going by Ascent's prices). 60 month warranty
    compared to 24 month and the 60 is cheaper? Huh?

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2011
  12. ~misfit~

    David Empson Guest

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs David Empson wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the
    > >> computer world. However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a
    > >> couple of days ago (I have a wholesale account with them) saying
    > >> that Seagate warranties are now two years. (They were three
    > >> previously.)
    > >>
    > >> I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about
    > >> it but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure
    > >> enough, they now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36
    > >> months last week.

    > > Thanks for the tip, Shaun. I was about to buy some drives and I might
    > > not have noticed. WD got my money this time.

    > You're welcome. I'm quite surprised it wasn't more widely discussed to be
    > honest.
    >
    > > Almost all my other separately purchased drives are Seagates. Web site
    > > visit coming up to tell them this policy change lost them two sales.
    > >
    > >> I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio
    > >> Blacks. They still have a 60 month warranty.

    > > Judging from Ascent, Seagate still offers 5 year warranty on their
    > > enterprise drives, and oddly also on the Momentus XT hybrid laptop
    > > drive.

    > Yes, various lines have various warranties with both companies. WD are the
    > same, the 'Black' line is 5 years, most of the rest are 3 years. Seagate was
    > the same but now, as of 2nd July, dropped it's minimum warranty for it's
    > bulk lines from three years to two years.
    >
    > IIRC a few years back Seagate gave a 5 year warranty on *all* of their
    > drives

    All their bare drive mechanisms, yes. The external drives may hae been
    less.

    > and were the only company that did so.

    I recall most others being three years at the time.

    > That's why I used Seagate almost solely for years.

    Me too. The 500 GB drives I bought in mid 2007 had 5 year warranties.
    Don't recall offhand about the three 1.5 GB drives I bought more
    recently.

    > Then they dropped it to 3 years for bulk lines while WD raised theirs to 5
    > years for premium lines, roughly equalling it out.
    >
    > Now, with Seagate dropping the bulk lines to 2 years I'm more inclined to
    > buy WD myself. <ponders> I wonder if the drop in warranty has anything to do
    > with Seagate's recent acquisition of Maxtor?

    Did you mean Samsung? They bought Maxtor a while ago.

    > Actually, as I understand it Seagate and Western Digital are the only one
    > making desktop HDDs these days. Seagate bought Maxtor a while back and are
    > currently taking over Samsung's HDD manufacuring. Western Digital are doing
    > the same with Hitachi (who bought IBM a few years back). The only other
    > player is Toshiba and they only make laptop drives.

    I have some Fujitsu laptop drives (supplied in computers) but haven't
    seen any recently - maybe they already got absorbed.

    > Of course there are any number of companies making SSD 'hard drives'.
    > However I think that the good old rotating platter mechanical drive will be
    > with us for quite a while yet.

    Agreed.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jul 28, 2011
  13. In article <j0qfe6$ai3$>,
    says...

    > S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    > However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    > have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    > two years. (They were three previously.)
    >
    > I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    > but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    > now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.
    >
    > I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    > They still have a 60 month warranty.
    >
    > Not much being said on teh intarwebs yet I thought that this was
    > significant. <shrug>

    I noticed a little while ago that ascent's 'reliability' rating for seagate
    drives had dropped (i.e. they got more of them returned) compared to some other
    brand(s).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 28, 2011
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs David Empson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Yes, various lines have various warranties with both companies. WD
    >> are the same, the 'Black' line is 5 years, most of the rest are 3
    >> years. Seagate was the same but now, as of 2nd July, dropped it's
    >> minimum warranty for it's bulk lines from three years to two years.
    >>
    >> IIRC a few years back Seagate gave a 5 year warranty on *all* of
    >> their drives

    > All their bare drive mechanisms, yes. The external drives may hae been
    > less.

    I believe that they were less. However I thought we were discussing bare
    internal drives (at least initially).

    >> and were the only company that did so.

    > I recall most others being three years at the time.

    Yup, ditto.

    >> That's why I used Seagate almost solely for years.

    > Me too. The 500 GB drives I bought in mid 2007 had 5 year warranties.
    > Don't recall offhand about the three 1.5 GB drives I bought more
    > recently.

    I have some 1.5TB / 7.2K Seagates that had 5 year warranties when I bought
    them.

    >> Then they dropped it to 3 years for bulk lines while WD raised
    >> theirs to 5 years for premium lines, roughly equalling it out.
    >>
    >> Now, with Seagate dropping the bulk lines to 2 years I'm more
    >> inclined to buy WD myself. <ponders> I wonder if the drop in
    >> warranty has anything to do with Seagate's recent acquisition of
    >> Maxtor?

    > Did you mean Samsung? They bought Maxtor a while ago.

    No, I meant Maxtor. Now they'll have a bit of data as to how drives made in
    old Maxtor facilities are performing compared to Seagate facilities. I've
    heard rumbles that the quality has dropped since they absorbed Maxtor, more
    failures...

    >> Actually, as I understand it Seagate and Western Digital are the
    >> only one making desktop HDDs these days. Seagate bought Maxtor a
    >> while back and are currently taking over Samsung's HDD manufacuring.
    >> Western Digital are doing the same with Hitachi (who bought IBM a
    >> few years back). The only other player is Toshiba and they only make
    >> laptop drives.

    > I have some Fujitsu laptop drives (supplied in computers) but haven't
    > seen any recently - maybe they already got absorbed.

    It's my understanding that there are still some available with Fujitsu
    labels (basically old stock, like Ascent still list Samsung drives) but I
    believe that they were bought out by Toshiba. (Just checked on teh
    intarwebs; Tosh bought Fujitsu's HDD business in 2009.)

    >> Of course there are any number of companies making SSD 'hard drives'.
    >> However I think that the good old rotating platter mechanical drive
    >> will be with us for quite a while yet.

    > Agreed.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2011
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <j0qfe6$ai3$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the
    >> computer world. However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a
    >> couple of days ago (I have a wholesale account with them) saying
    >> that Seagate warranties are now two years. (They were three
    >> previously.)
    >>
    >> I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about
    >> it but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure
    >> enough, they now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36
    >> months last week.
    >>
    >> I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio
    >> Blacks. They still have a 60 month warranty.
    >>
    >> Not much being said on teh intarwebs yet I thought that this was
    >> significant. <shrug>

    > I noticed a little while ago that ascent's 'reliability' rating for
    > seagate drives had dropped (i.e. they got more of them returned)
    > compared to some other brand(s).

    Thanks. I didn't see that but read in several hardware forums that, since
    Seagate had been producing drives in previously-Maxtor facilities their
    over-all reliability had dropped heaps, depending on where the HDD was made.

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2011
  16. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-07-28, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:53:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    >>However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    >>have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    >>two years. (They were three previously.)
    >>
    >>I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    >>but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    >>now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.
    >>
    >>I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    >>They still have a 60 month warranty.

    > Very interesting as I'm in the market for a 2TB external drive and
    > have avoided the WD specials on at the moment due to the reputation
    > they "used" to have when compared to Seagate.
    >
    > Warranties aside, does anyone have an opinion on what is the most
    > reliable, long lasting external hard drive on the market? Price is not
    > as much as a factor as reliability.

    I would argue that the difference is greater within a brand, than between
    them. Any mass produced product will have some lemons in the barrel, or is
    that on the platter.

    Gordon, Jul 29, 2011
  17. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On 29 Jul 2011 05:24:27 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >On 2011-07-28, Donchano <> wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:53:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>>S'funny. I thought that this would have been big news in the computer world.
    >>>However I only found out as Zcom sent me an email a couple of days ago (I
    >>>have a wholesale account with them) saying that Seagate warranties are now
    >>>two years. (They were three previously.)
    >>>
    >>>I waited a bit, feeling sure that I'd see articles on websites about it
    >>>but... nothing. So I just checked Ascent's listings and, sure enough, they
    >>>now say 24 months for Seagate drives where they said 36 months last week.
    >>>
    >>>I'm pleased that the last couple of drives I bought were WD Scorpio Blacks.
    >>>They still have a 60 month warranty.

    >> Very interesting as I'm in the market for a 2TB external drive and
    >> have avoided the WD specials on at the moment due to the reputation
    >> they "used" to have when compared to Seagate.
    >>
    >> Warranties aside, does anyone have an opinion on what is the most
    >> reliable, long lasting external hard drive on the market? Price is not
    >> as much as a factor as reliability.
    >>

    >I would argue that the difference is greater within a brand, than between
    >them. Any mass produced product will have some lemons in the barrel, or is
    >that on the platter.

    Guess my Iomega ZIP drive was just one of the lemons <grin>.

    Donchano, Jul 29, 2011
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On 29 Jul 2011 05:24:27 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    > the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> On 2011-07-28, Donchano <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:53:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >>> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Very interesting as I'm in the market for a 2TB external drive and
    >>> have avoided the WD specials on at the moment due to the reputation
    >>> they "used" to have when compared to Seagate.
    >>>
    >>> Warranties aside, does anyone have an opinion on what is the most
    >>> reliable, long lasting external hard drive on the market? Price is
    >>> not as much as a factor as reliability.
    >>>

    >> I would argue that the difference is greater within a brand, than
    >> between them. Any mass produced product will have some lemons in the
    >> barrel, or is that on the platter.

    > Guess my Iomega ZIP drive was just one of the lemons <grin>.

    LOL! I had one of those that developed the 'click of death' after 18 months
    and, after getting no joy from DSE, pulled it to bits. *Then* Iomega
    announced they'd replace them, even out of warranty.....

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2011