    pair at $317 at Dell. I have seen them for much less elsewhere. What should
    I consider before purchasing?
    thanks, JCM
    McWideGlide, Feb 2, 2007

  2. McWideGlide

    Otter Guest

    In news:gCvwh.17372$,
    McWideGlide <> typed:
    > I have a computer with 4 DIMM sockets. 2 are filled with 2GB DDR2
    > Sdram @ 667 MHZ . I would like to fill the other sockets. I would
    > like to know if I have to stick to the same manufacture or are other
    > brands ok. I priced the pair at $317 at Dell. I have seen them for
    > much less elsewhere. What should I consider before purchasing?
    > thanks, JCM

    Why would you like to fill the other sockets?
    Otter, Feb 2, 2007

  3. McWideGlide

    McWideGlide Guest

    "Otter" <> wrote in message
    > In news:gCvwh.17372$,
    > McWideGlide <> typed:
    >> I have a computer with 4 DIMM sockets. 2 are filled with 2GB DDR2
    >> Sdram @ 667 MHZ . I would like to fill the other sockets. I would
    >> like to know if I have to stick to the same manufacture or are other
    >> brands ok. I priced the pair at $317 at Dell. I have seen them for
    >> much less elsewhere. What should I consider before purchasing?
    >> thanks, JCM

    > Why would you like to fill the other sockets?

    to see if I get any kind of performance benefits. Like in MS Flight Sim X.
    My wife is going to start playing with photo's too . New digi. camera. I
    thought more ram was very good for this purpose
    McWideGlide, Feb 2, 2007
  4. McWideGlide

    philo Guest

    "McWideGlide" <> wrote in message

    > > Why would you like to fill the other sockets?
    > >

    > to see if I get any kind of performance benefits. Like in MS Flight Sim X.
    > My wife is going to start playing with photo's too . New digi. camera. I
    > thought more ram was very good for this purpose

    If you (or your wife) are going to be using PhotoshopCS2...
    2 gigs of RAM should be fine...but you definately want a high end CPU...
    dual core if possible
    philo, Feb 2, 2007
  5. McWideGlide

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    philo <> typed:
    > "McWideGlide" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Why would you like to fill the other sockets?
    >>>

    >> to see if I get any kind of performance benefits. Like in MS Flight
    >> Sim X. My wife is going to start playing with photo's too . New
    >> digi. camera. I thought more ram was very good for this purpose
    >>

    > If you (or your wife) are going to be using PhotoshopCS2...
    > 2 gigs of RAM should be fine...but you definately want a high end
    > CPU... dual core if possible

    But 2 gigs is more than enough for most people. Don't waste your money.
    Otter, Feb 2, 2007
  6. McWideGlide

    UnWise One Guest

    >I have a computer with 4 DIMM sockets. 2 are filled with 2GB DDR2 Sdram @
    >667 MHZ . I would like to fill the other sockets. I would like to know if I
    >have to stick to the same manufacture or are other brands ok. I priced the
    >pair at $317 at Dell. I have seen them for much less elsewhere. What should
    >I consider before purchasing?
    > thanks, JCM

    Go here for the best prices, there is also an online scan/tool
    that will produce a report of what is compatible.
    http://www.crucial.com/
    UnWise One, Feb 2, 2007
  7. McWideGlide

    Ron Martell Guest

    "McWideGlide" <> wrote:

    >I have a computer with 4 DIMM sockets. 2 are filled with 2GB DDR2 Sdram @
    >667 MHZ . I would like to fill the other sockets. I would like to know if I
    >have to stick to the same manufacture or are other brands ok. I priced the
    >pair at $317 at Dell. I have seen them for much less elsewhere. What should
    >I consider before purchasing?
    >thanks, JCM

    What operating system? Windows XP?

    Adding more memory can noticeably improve performance only if the
    added memory results in reduced usage of the virtual memory paging
    file. Therefore if the paging file is not currently being used to any
    significant extent then adding more memory will not provide a
    significant improvement.

    Unfortunately there is no ready way of determing actual paging file
    usage provided with Windows XP - it does not have an equivalent to the
    'Memory Manager - Swap File In Use" reporting provided by the System
    Monitor utility in Windows 95/98/Me.

    There is a free utility that you can download and run which will
    provide this information for you. It was written by MVP Bill James and
    you can get if from
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
    http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

    If that utility shows actual page file usage of 50 mb or more on a
    regular basis then that is indicative of fairly significant paging
    file activity. Adding more RAM will reduce or even eliminate entirely
    this activity thereby improving performance.

    This apples regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently
    installed in the computer, at least up to the 4 gb RAM maximum for
    Windows XP.
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)