SDRAM PC3200 upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by fl, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. fl

    fl Guest

    Hi,
    I want to upgrade the ram (512M, PC3200) of my old HP Pavilion a820n.
    Its specification is as follows.

    ----
    HP website:
    Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)
    Maximum allowed 4.0 GB* (4 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the
    installed 256 MB DIMMs

    *Actual available memory may be less
    Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
    Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
    DIMM slots Four
    Open DIMM slots Two
    --------

    From ebay, I find a seller who's description is:

    IBM 1GB 400MHZ PC3200 CL3 ECC DDR SDRAM RDIMM GENUINE IBM MEMORY FOR
    BLADECENTER LS20 (39M5848)

    The price is CAN $ 35.00. I think it is a bargain, is it?
    ---------

    A website introduces IBM BladeCenter LS20* as:

    IBM BladeCenter LS20*
    Processor AMD Opteron Model 246, 250, 252, 254, 270, 275 and 280
    Number of processors (std/max) 1/2
    Cache 1MB L2 per processor core
    Memory1 Up to 16GB DDR VLP memory
    ----

    If you are an expert on PC, could you tell me that the seller's SDRAM
    can upgrade my HP, technically? Thanks in advance.

    fl, Dec 19, 2007

  2. fl

    Paul Guest

    fl wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I want to upgrade the ram (512M, PC3200) of my old HP Pavilion a820n.
    > Its specification is as follows.
    >

    > ----
    > HP website:
    > Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)
    > Maximum allowed 4.0 GB* (4 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the
    > installed 256 MB DIMMs
    >
    > *Actual available memory may be less
    > Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
    > Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
    > DIMM slots Four
    > Open DIMM slots Two
    > --------
    >

    > From ebay, I find a seller who's description is:
    >

    > IBM 1GB 400MHZ PC3200 CL3 ECC DDR SDRAM RDIMM GENUINE IBM MEMORY FOR
    > BLADECENTER LS20 (39M5848)
    >

    > The price is CAN $ 35.00. I think it is a bargain, is it?
    > ---------
    >
    > A website introduces IBM BladeCenter LS20* as:
    >
    > IBM BladeCenter LS20*
    > Processor AMD Opteron Model 246, 250, 252, 254, 270, 275 and 280
    > Number of processors (std/max) 1/2
    > Cache 1MB L2 per processor core
    > Memory1 Up to 16GB DDR VLP memory
    > ----
    >
    > If you are an expert on PC, could you tell me that the seller's SDRAM
    > can upgrade my HP, technically? Thanks in advance.

    RDIMM stands for Registered DIMM. They are used on servers.

    UDIMM stands for unbuffered DIMM. They are used on desktops.

    The above memory is the wrong kind, as it is registered.

    You can get a matched pair like this 2x1GB kit for $104.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 20, 2007

  3. fl

    fl Guest

    On Dec 19, 11:05 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > fl wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I want to upgrade the ram (512M, PC3200) of my old HP Pavilion a820n.
    > > Its specification is as follows.

    > > ----
    > > HP website:
    > > Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)
    > > Maximum allowed 4.0 GB* (4 X 1 GB) requires the replacement of the
    > > installed 256 MB DIMMs

    > > *Actual available memory may be less
    > > Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
    > > Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
    > > DIMM slots Four
    > > Open DIMM slots Two
    > > --------

    > > From ebay, I find a seller who's description is:

    > > IBM 1GB 400MHZ PC3200 CL3 ECC DDR SDRAM RDIMM GENUINE IBM MEMORY FOR
    > > BLADECENTER LS20 (39M5848)

    > > The price is CAN $ 35.00. I think it is a bargain, is it?
    > > ---------

    > > A website introduces IBM BladeCenter LS20* as:

    > > IBM BladeCenter LS20*
    > > Processor AMD Opteron Model 246, 250, 252, 254, 270, 275 and 280
    > > Number of processors (std/max) 1/2
    > > Cache 1MB L2 per processor core
    > > Memory1 Up to 16GB DDR VLP memory
    > > ----

    > > If you are an expert on PC, could you tell me that the seller's SDRAM
    > > can upgrade my HP, technically? Thanks in advance.

    > RDIMM stands for Registered DIMM. They are used on servers.
    >
    > UDIMM stands for unbuffered DIMM. They are used on desktops.
    >
    > The above memory is the wrong kind, as it is registered.
    >
    > You can get a matched pair like this 2x1GB kit for $104.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047
    >
    > Paul- Hide quoted text -

    Hi,
    Thank you very much. I find the following two choices. Buffalo is
    $50.00, while Kingston is $69.00. There is no CL parameter for
    Buffalow. And I know Kingston, but I do not know Buffalo. Both can
    upgrade my PC? Thanks again.

    --------
    Buffalo Select 1GB DDR SDRAM Computer System Memory, DDR400 (PC 3200),
    184-Pin, Non-ECC, Unbuffered,

    Model: DD4003-1G/BR
    Manufactured with reliable components and built to meet Buffalo's high
    manufacturing standards, Buffalo

    Select Memory Modules give customers unrivaled quality and value. Each
    module is 100% tested with major

    motherboards for optimal compatibility and is very cost-effective.

    Features & Specifications: Model: DD4003-1G/BR. Series: Select. Type:
    184-Pin DDR SDRAM. Capacity: 1 GB.

    Speed: DDR 400 (PC 3200). Cas Latency: 3. Voltage: 2.6V + 0.2V. ECC:
    No. Buffered/Registered:

    Unbuffered. Heat Spreader: No.

    -----------
    KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 1024MB C3A

    General
    Storage Capacity 1 GB
    Upgrade Type Generic
    Memory
    Type DRAM
    Technology DDR SDRAM
    Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
    Module Height (inch) 1.25
    Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
    Latency Timings CL3
    Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
    RAM Features Unbuffered
    Module Configuration 128 x 64
    Supply Voltage 2.6 V
    Lead Plating Gold
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Compatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM 184-pin

    fl, Dec 20, 2007
  4. fl

    Paul Guest

    fl wrote:
> [...]

    > Speed: DDR 400 (PC 3200). Cas Latency: 3. Voltage: 2.6V + 0.2V. ECC:
    > No. Buffered/Registered:
    >
    > Unbuffered. Heat Spreader: No.
    >
    > -----------
    > KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 1024MB C3A
    >
    > General
    > Storage Capacity 1 GB
    > Upgrade Type Generic
    > Memory
    > Type DRAM
    > Technology DDR SDRAM
    > Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
    > Module Height (inch) 1.25
    > Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
    > Latency Timings CL3
    > Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
    > RAM Features Unbuffered
    > Module Configuration 128 x 64
    > Supply Voltage 2.6 V
    > Lead Plating Gold
    > Expansion / Connectivity
    > Compatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM 184-pin

    There is only one Buffalo DDR product on Newegg,
    and it looks OK. But it is a 512MB capacity, so
    doesn't represent what their 1GB DIMMs would be like.

    Personally, I'd rather find products, where I have
    reviews I can read. If I see reports of DOA, then the
    product isn't really $50, it is $50 plus the postage to
    return the defective product. Or a restocking fee, if
    I choose to return it. Which is why the reports of
    DOA count a little bit in your choice.

    I've bought several batches of RAM from Crucial, and
    all of that stuff is still running 100%. So I can
    recommend them, but the price is not nearly as good
    as some of the others.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 20, 2007
  5. fl

    fl Guest

    On Dec 20, 12:43 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > fl wrote:
    > >> RDIMM stands for Registered DIMM. They are used on servers.

    > >> UDIMM stands for unbuffered DIMM. They are used on desktops.

    > >> The above memory is the wrong kind, as it is registered.

    > >> You can get a matched pair like this 2x1GB kit for $104.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

    > >> Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > > Hi,
    > > Thank you very much. I find the following two choices. Buffalo is
    > > $50.00, while Kingston is $69.00. There is no CL parameter for
    > > Buffalow. And I know Kingston, but I do not know Buffalo. Both can
    > > upgrade my PC? Thanks again.

    > > --------
    > > Buffalo Select 1GB DDR SDRAM Computer System Memory, DDR400 (PC 3200),
    > > 184-Pin, Non-ECC, Unbuffered,

    > > Model: DD4003-1G/BR
    > > Manufactured with reliable components and built to meet Buffalo's high
    > > manufacturing standards, Buffalo

    > > Select Memory Modules give customers unrivaled quality and value. Each
    > > module is 100% tested with major

    > > motherboards for optimal compatibility and is very cost-effective.

    > > Features & Specifications: Model: DD4003-1G/BR. Series: Select. Type:
    > > 184-Pin DDR SDRAM. Capacity: 1 GB.

    > > Speed: DDR 400 (PC 3200). Cas Latency: 3. Voltage: 2.6V + 0.2V. ECC:
    > > No. Buffered/Registered:

    > > Unbuffered. Heat Spreader: No.

    > > -----------
    > > KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 1024MB C3A

    > > General
    > > Storage Capacity 1 GB
    > > Upgrade Type Generic
    > > Memory
    > > Type DRAM
    > > Technology DDR SDRAM
    > > Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
    > > Module Height (inch) 1.25
    > > Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
    > > Latency Timings CL3
    > > Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
    > > RAM Features Unbuffered
    > > Module Configuration 128 x 64
    > > Supply Voltage 2.6 V
    > > Lead Plating Gold
    > > Expansion / Connectivity
    > > Compatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM 184-pin

    > There is only one Buffalo DDR product on Newegg,
    > and it looks OK. But it is a 512MB capacity, so
    > doesn't represent what their 1GB DIMMs would be like.
    >
    > Personally, I'd rather find products, where I have
    > reviews I can read. If I see reports of DOA, then the
    > product isn't really $50, it is $50 plus the postage to
    > return the defective product. Or a restocking fee, if
    > I choose to return it. Which is why the reports of
    > DOA count a little bit in your choice.
    >
    > I've bought several batches of RAM from Crucial, and
    > all of that stuff is still running 100%. So I can
    > recommend them, but the price is not nearly as good
    > as some of the others.
    >
    > Paul- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for your opinion. The link you provide, they are out of stock.
    I have to find another source. The CL of 1GB is 3, while the CL of
    512MB is 2.5. What does that mean? Which one is right and better?
    Thank you very much.

    data from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047
    Model
    Brand BUFFALO
    Series Select
    Model DD4002-KS1G/BR
    Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 1GB (2 x 512MB)
    Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    Cas Latency 2.5
    Heat Spreader No
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Parts Lifetime limited
    Labor Lifetime limited

    fl, Dec 20, 2007
  6. fl

    Paul Guest

    fl wrote:
> [...]

    >> and it looks OK. But it is a 512MB capacity, so
    >> doesn't represent what their 1GB DIMMs would be like.
    >>
    >> Personally, I'd rather find products, where I have
    >> reviews I can read. If I see reports of DOA, then the
    >> product isn't really $50, it is $50 plus the postage to
    >> return the defective product. Or a restocking fee, if
    >> I choose to return it. Which is why the reports of
    >> DOA count a little bit in your choice.
    >>
    >> I've bought several batches of RAM from Crucial, and
    >> all of that stuff is still running 100%. So I can
    >> recommend them, but the price is not nearly as good
    >> as some of the others.
    >>
    >> Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks for your opinion. The link you provide, they are out of stock.
    > I have to find another source. The CL of 1GB is 3, while the CL of
    > 512MB is 2.5. What does that mean? Which one is right and better?

    When a motherboard has four slots, it supports dual channel operation.
    There are two channels, each channel having room for two sticks.

    The best way to populate a dual channel board, is to use matched pairs.
    If the sticks are not matched, then it is possible the board may operate
    in single channel mode, with a reduction in bandwidth.

    In terms of the speed issue for DDR, a stick rated for a higher speed,
    can operate in lower speed applications. So for example, if you saw a
    PC4000 stick for sale, you can run it in a PC3200 application.

    When it comes to CAS, if one pair of sticks were CAS3, and another pair
    of sticks were CAS2.5, the BIOS will select the slower speed (CAS3) to
    run all the sticks. Memory controllers are designed with simplified control
    schemes, to reduce the design effort. So the memory controller
    runs the memory at the timings and capabilities of the slowest stick.
    If you had some fast memory, added a matched pair of slow memory, the
    BIOS will operate all of them at the slow speed.

    Your best options are to add 2x1GB or buy a second matched pair and
    make it 4x1GB. Due to the limitations of 32 bit OSes and chipsets,
    in the 4x1GB case, you won't get to use all the memory. Some address
    space is used to access PCI, AGP, or PCI Express cards, and then the
    amount of address space remaining might only be 3.25GB or so. On
    computers with two video cards in SLI mode, the available address
    space can actually drop below the 3GB mark, and in that case, the
    most economical choice is 2x1GB + 2x512MB.

    You could buy 2x1GB to start, install them, watch Task Manager, and
    if you frequently go over the 2GB mark, buy a second pair. That
    way, you won't commit too much money to the upgrade, to no
    purpose.

    I still think you should read as many reviews as you can find. There
    are many tricks pulled, to make memory products. For example, you can
    buy untested memory chips from a factory, and test them yourself before
    soldering them to a module. The tricks tend to stand out, when you
    read hundreds of reviews on Newegg. That is the best way to detect lemons.
    Lowest price is not the answer! Observable product quality is.

    I learned my lesson the hard way. I've bought two lots of cheap RAM
    from local computer stores. You know, the "one day sale" thing you
    see in the newspaper. Both lots died a bit past the one year mark.
    One computer store was bankrupt and gone, when I made the discovery.
    After that, I've been dealing with Crucial and have no regrets.
    But really, you have to examine these things on a product by product
    basis, and there can be quality differences between "ValueRAM" and
    "enthusiast" sticks. It is not the name that is important, but where
    the sticks are coming from. Some "ValueRAM" type products are
    "flowthru", and the company is just stamping their name on the
    stick, and have had virtually nothing to do with production.
    If a company has good quality control, then contract manufacturing
    is a fine concept. But if the company doesn't care what it ships,
    it shows in the reviews.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 20, 2007
  7. fl

    Bruce Guest

    Have a look a Crucial US website, there's a bit of software that will scan
    your PC and advise you what upgrades are suitable.

    Bruce

    Bruce, Dec 21, 2007