    And if the Class is no real indicator of responsiveness is there any
    point buying a Class 6 card over a Class 10 card when all else is equal?
    (both state 8GB and 30 MB/s).
    Shanks, Oct 5, 2010

  2. Shanks

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 05/10/2010 15:28, Shanks wrote:
    > Firstly, do they smoke copious amounts of crack at SanDisk HQ? What is
    > it with their ridiculous branding and re-branding of their product
    > range? I finally managed to work it all out. One thing I've not really
    > understood yet is the correlation between Speed Class Rating and the
    > speed specified on the card. For example you can get a Class 6 card
    > that claims to be 30 MB/s. Doesn't Class 6 just mean it can handle a
    > minimum write speed of 6 MB/s ? So where does the 30 MB/s come from?
    > And if the Class is no real indicator of responsiveness is there any
    > point buying a Class 6 card over a Class 10 card when all else is equal?
    > (both state 8GB and 30 MB/s).

    The "class" doesn't seem related to a specific speed. See:

    http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class/

    where they carefully avoid giving any speed figures.

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Oct 5, 2010

  3. Shanks

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <i8f964$jh1$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Firstly, do they smoke copious amounts of crack at SanDisk HQ? What is
    > it with their ridiculous branding and re-branding of their product
    > range? I finally managed to work it all out. One thing I've not really
    > understood yet is the correlation between Speed Class Rating and the
    > speed specified on the card. For example you can get a Class 6 card
    > that claims to be 30 MB/s. Doesn't Class 6 just mean it can handle a
    > minimum write speed of 6 MB/s ? So where does the 30 MB/s come from?
    > And if the Class is no real indicator of responsiveness is there any
    > point buying a Class 6 card over a Class 10 card when all else is equal?
    > (both state 8GB and 30 MB/s).

    Buy any class that is equal to or higher than that specified by the
    device you're plugging it into.
    J. Clarke, Oct 5, 2010
  4. Shanks

    Shanks Guest

    On 05/10/2010 15:48, J. Clarke wrote:
    > In article <i8f964$jh1$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Firstly, do they smoke copious amounts of crack at SanDisk HQ? What is
    >> it with their ridiculous branding and re-branding of their product
    >> range? I finally managed to work it all out. One thing I've not really
    >> understood yet is the correlation between Speed Class Rating and the
    >> speed specified on the card. For example you can get a Class 6 card
    >> that claims to be 30 MB/s. Doesn't Class 6 just mean it can handle a
    >> minimum write speed of 6 MB/s ? So where does the 30 MB/s come from?
    >> And if the Class is no real indicator of responsiveness is there any
    >> point buying a Class 6 card over a Class 10 card when all else is equal?
    >> (both state 8GB and 30 MB/s).

    > Buy any class that is equal to or higher than that specified by the
    > device you're plugging it into.

    Well my main concern is shooting in continuous mode in raw on my D90. I
    don't think the D90 can utilise class 10. And I read the pics in using
    the SD Card reader on my Mac Book Pro (mid 2010 model) and I'm not sure
    what class that can handle...? Wonder where the bottleneck would be..?
    Shanks, Oct 5, 2010
  5. Shanks

    Shanks Guest

    * Shanks wrote
    > I'm not sure
    > what class that can handle...? Wonder where the bottleneck would be..?

    Erm, sorry about replying to my own post. A quick google reveals:

    "What is the maximum speed that my computer can use when reading and
    writing to an SD card in the SD card slot?

    Your Macintosh has a maximum speed of 240 Mbit/s for SD media using the
    SD card slot. This exceeds the transfer rate of most SD media. Check
    the packaging that came with your SD media to determine the maximum
    transfer rate used by that media."

    Err, 240 Mbit/s = 30MB/s right??! :-S

    So, it would be worth getting a 30 MB/s card (as spec'd by SanDisk et
    al), but still unsure about the Class differences (4, 6, 10..?).

    Very confusing this stuff innit?
    Shanks, Oct 5, 2010
  6. Shanks

    Bruce Guest

    Shanks <> wrote:

    >On 05/10/2010 15:48, J. Clarke wrote:
    >> In article <i8f964$jh1$-september.org>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> Firstly, do they smoke copious amounts of crack at SanDisk HQ? What is
    >>> it with their ridiculous branding and re-branding of their product
    >>> range? I finally managed to work it all out. One thing I've not really
    >>> understood yet is the correlation between Speed Class Rating and the
    >>> speed specified on the card. For example you can get a Class 6 card
    >>> that claims to be 30 MB/s. Doesn't Class 6 just mean it can handle a
    >>> minimum write speed of 6 MB/s ? So where does the 30 MB/s come from?
    >>> And if the Class is no real indicator of responsiveness is there any
    >>> point buying a Class 6 card over a Class 10 card when all else is equal?
    >>> (both state 8GB and 30 MB/s).

    >> Buy any class that is equal to or higher than that specified by the
    >> device you're plugging it into.
    >>

    >Well my main concern is shooting in continuous mode in raw on my D90. I
    >don't think the D90 can utilise class 10.

    Stop wasting your time thinking about that, and just follow J.Clarke's
    simple advice:

    > Buy any class that is equal to or higher than that specified by the
    > device you're plugging it into.

    The operative words are "equal to OR HIGHER". It doesn't matter if
    the SDHC card is of a higher class, it will still work just fine.
    Bruce, Oct 5, 2010
  7. Shanks

    Shanks Guest

    On 05/10/2010 16:16, Bruce wrote:
    > Shanks <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/10/2010 15:48, J. Clarke wrote:
    >>> Buy any class that is equal to or higher than that specified by the
    >>> device you're plugging it into.

    >> Well my main concern is shooting in continuous mode in raw on my D90. I
    >> don't think the D90 can utilise class 10.

    > Stop wasting your time thinking about that, and just follow J.Clarke's
    > simple advice:

    Wasn't worrying about it or rather was worrying *more* by the fact that
    the class ten cards are a lot more money and may offer me no real world
    benefit.

    >> Buy any class that is equal to or higher than that specified by the
    >> device you're plugging it into.

    > The operative words are "equal to OR HIGHER". It doesn't matter if
    > the SDHC card is of a higher class, it will still work just fine.

    Herein lies the problem. Seems a class six card would be equal to or
    higher than the device I'm plugging it into, if I remove my laptop from
    the equation.

    It's only £££ I'm trying to save at the end of the day :-S
    Shanks, Oct 5, 2010
  8. Shanks

    Bruce Guest

    Shanks <> wrote:
    >On 05/10/2010 16:16, Bruce wrote:
    >> Shanks <> wrote:

    >>> Well my main concern is shooting in continuous mode in raw on my D90. I
    >>> don't think the D90 can utilise class 10.

    >> Stop wasting your time thinking about that, and just follow J.Clarke's
    >> simple advice:

    >Wasn't worrying about it or rather was worrying *more* by the fact that
    >the class ten cards are a lot more money and may offer me no real world
    >benefit.
    >

    >>> Buy any class that is equal to or higher than that specified by the
    >>> device you're plugging it into.

    >> The operative words are "equal to OR HIGHER". It doesn't matter if
    >> the SDHC card is of a higher class, it will still work just fine.

    >Herein lies the problem. Seems a class six card would be equal to or
    >higher than the device I'm plugging it into, if I remove my laptop from
    >the equation.
    >
    >It's only £££ I'm trying to save at the end of the day :-S

    Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands.
    Bruce, Oct 5, 2010
  9. Shanks

    Shanks Guest

    On 05/10/2010 16:26, Bruce wrote:
    > Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands.

    Enough to have already looked on Google first and found no answer.
    Shanks, Oct 5, 2010
  10. Shanks

    peter Guest

    On 10/5/2010 11:57 AM, Shanks wrote:
    > On 05/10/2010 16:26, Bruce wrote:
    >> Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands.

    > Enough to have already looked on Google first and found no answer.

    Brucie meant to insult you.
    What you need is the fastest card that will work in your camera, that
    you can afford. Speed in processing in your camera will help. Faster
    than that may be wasted.
    Speed in downloading from the card to my computer is nice, but not as
    important.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 5, 2010
  11. Shanks

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <i8ffe1$aa9$-september.org>,
    says...

    > * Shanks wrote
    > > I'm not sure
    > > what class that can handle...? Wonder where the bottleneck would be..?

    > Erm, sorry about replying to my own post. A quick google reveals:
    >
    > "What is the maximum speed that my computer can use when reading and
    > writing to an SD card in the SD card slot?
    >
    > Your Macintosh has a maximum speed of 240 Mbit/s for SD media using the
    > SD card slot. This exceeds the transfer rate of most SD media. Check
    > the packaging that came with your SD media to determine the maximum
    > transfer rate used by that media."
    >
    > Err, 240 Mbit/s = 30MB/s right??! :-S
    >
    > So, it would be worth getting a 30 MB/s card (as spec'd by SanDisk et
    > al), but still unsure about the Class differences (4, 6, 10..?).
    >
    > Very confusing this stuff innit?

    There's _supposed_ to be a marking on the device showing the SD class it
    requires if the SD class affects functionality (what's supposed to be
    and what is aren't always the same I realize). For a Macbook Pro it
    should make no difference. For a video camera it does make a
    difference--if the card can't accept data as fast as or faster than the
    camera can produce it then you get dropouts.

    In practical terms the D90 doesn't record video as far as I know, so
    that's a non-issue, and the main thing you gain by a faster card would
    be a reduction in the time required to copy the files to your computer.
    So how long does that take you now and how much less time would you
    expect it to take with faster card and how much is that little bit of
    time saving worth to you?
    J. Clarke, Oct 5, 2010
  12. Shanks

    Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:15:28 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Shanks
    <> wrote:

    >* Shanks wrote
    >> I'm not sure
    >> what class that can handle...? Wonder where the bottleneck would be..?

    >Erm, sorry about replying to my own post. A quick google reveals:
    >
    >"What is the maximum speed that my computer can use when reading and
    >writing to an SD card in the SD card slot?
    >
    >Your Macintosh has a maximum speed of 240 Mbit/s for SD media using the
    >SD card slot. This exceeds the transfer rate of most SD media. Check
    >the packaging that came with your SD media to determine the maximum
    >transfer rate used by that media."
    >
    >Err, 240 Mbit/s = 30MB/s right??! :-S
    >
    >So, it would be worth getting a 30 MB/s card (as spec'd by SanDisk et
    >al), but still unsure about the Class differences (4, 6, 10..?).
    >
    >Very confusing this stuff innit?

    See
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9597

    It would appear the D90 can NOT really make use of a 30 MB/s card. So
    now you really have $$ vs performance to trade.
    , Oct 5, 2010
  13. Shanks

    -hh Guest

    Shanks <> wrote:
    > On 05/10/2010 16:16, Bruce wrote:
    >
    > > The operative words are "equal to OR HIGHER".  It doesn't matter if
    > > the SDHC card is of a higher class, it will still work just fine.

    > Herein lies the problem. Seems a class six card would be equal to or
    > higher than the device I'm plugging it into, if I remove my laptop from
    > the equation.
    >
    > It's only £££ I'm trying to save at the end of the day :-S

    Thus you already have your answer:

    A = Your upper cost limit is the Class 10 card.

    B = Your effective minimum cost of entry is the Class 6 card, so that
    your card's speed doesn't bottleneck your camera.

    A - B = C

    C = the cost premium you would need to pay in order to have faster*
    card transfers onto your laptop.

    * - some online research should be able to give you an indication as
    to how much faster this transfer may be. Its up to you to then decide
    if its worth paying the extra amount of C in order to realize it.

    In looking briefly at Rob Galbraith's database, it doesn't seem that
    the performance differences between Class 6 to Class 10 makes as much
    of a difference as the choice of card or card reader...they appear to
    all generally be in the 18 to 20 MB/s ballpark...although his database
    does appear to be a bit thin on datapoints for Class 10 cards.

    -hh
    -hh, Oct 5, 2010
  14. Shanks

    Shanks Guest

    On 05/10/2010 23:06, -hh wrote:
    > In looking briefly at Rob Galbraith's database, it doesn't seem that
    > the performance differences between Class 6 to Class 10 makes as much
    > of a difference as the choice of card or card reader...they appear to
    > all generally be in the 18 to 20 MB/s ballpark...although his database
    > does appear to be a bit thin on datapoints for Class 10 cards.

    I did stumble across his review of cards specifically for the D90 though
    I wasn't sure how up to date it was.

    Thanks hh
    Shanks, Oct 6, 2010
  15. Shanks

    Shanks Guest

    On 05/10/2010 17:50, J. Clarke wrote:
    > In practical terms the D90 doesn't record video as far as I know, so

    Unless I've misunderstood what you mean by recording video, the D90 ,
    supports recording HD video.
    Shanks, Oct 6, 2010
  16. Shanks

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <i8hehv$kmv$-september.org>,
    says...

    > On 05/10/2010 17:50, J. Clarke wrote:
    > > In practical terms the D90 doesn't record video as far as I know, so

    > Unless I've misunderstood what you mean by recording video, the D90 ,
    > supports recording HD video.

    Well then I'm wrong. I don't use Nikon so really don't pay attention to
    their product line.
    J. Clarke, Oct 6, 2010
  17. Shanks

    Shanks Guest

    On 06/10/2010 11:57, J. Clarke wrote:
    > In article <i8hehv$kmv$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On 05/10/2010 17:50, J. Clarke wrote:
    >>> In practical terms the D90 doesn't record video as far as I know, so

    >> Unless I've misunderstood what you mean by recording video, the D90 ,
    >> supports recording HD video.

    > Well then I'm wrong. I don't use Nikon so really don't pay attention to
    > their product line.

    Ah OK - no problem.

    I don't use that functionality so I didn't really take that into
    account, so thanks for reminding me that I may wish to use it in the
    future and it may have some impact on what card I buy.
    Shanks, Oct 6, 2010
  18. Shanks

    Bruce Guest

    Shanks <> wrote:
    >On 05/10/2010 17:29, peter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Enough to have already looked on Google first and found no answer.
    >>>

    >> Brucie meant to insult you.

    >He'll have to try harder than that then! :)

    You will have to forgive Peter. He likes to spread discord where
    there isn't any. ;-)
    Bruce, Oct 6, 2010
  19. Shanks

    peter Guest

    On 10/6/2010 7:33 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > Shanks<> wrote:

    >>> Brucie meant to insult you.

    >> He'll have to try harder than that then! :)

    > You will have to forgive Peter. He likes to spread discord where
    > there isn't any. ;-)

    I have a low tolerance level for bluster

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 7, 2010
  20. Shanks

    David Ross Guest

    In article <i8heap$kmv$-september.org>,
    Shanks <> wrote:

    > On 05/10/2010 23:06, -hh wrote:
    > > In looking briefly at Rob Galbraith's database, it doesn't seem that
    > > the performance differences between Class 6 to Class 10 makes as much
    > > of a difference as the choice of card or card reader...they appear to
    > > all generally be in the 18 to 20 MB/s ballpark...although his database
    > > does appear to be a bit thin on datapoints for Class 10 cards.

    > I did stumble across his review of cards specifically for the D90 though
    > I wasn't sure how up to date it was.
    >
    > Thanks hh

    You might find it worthwhile reading some of the postings on photo
    forums.

    I have just (today) received my Canon 550D (love it) and have found that
    using Kingston class 4 SD cards the 550D will record HD movies without
    any trouble - and no appearance of that buffer display I have heard
    about, though Canon say to use class 6 cards.

    Bugger - I ordered the Kingston class 4s because they were on sale (4gig
    for $15) intending to use them for photos, and since the class 6 ones
    (at $40 each) hadn't arrived yet thought I'd try the 4s out just for
    fun. They work perfectly - and to make sure I took video until the card
    was full (12minutes of HD 1920) no stutter or jumping etc, and it was
    all shot inside tonight

    I also read on one of the forums that others have found that Sandisk
    class2 will work fine with video on the 550D, but I will try that our
    for myself tomorrow

    So just suggesting that if you are short of $$ like I am it might be
    worthwhile doing some experimenting with good quality, but lower rated
    cards - especially if you are able to borrow one to try before spending
    your $$

    David
    David Ross, Oct 7, 2010