    formatted in the camera.

    TIA for any thoughts.
    Pierre
    Pierre, Nov 18, 2006

  2. Pierre

    Joan Guest

    Are both cards freshly formatted in the camera when you start your
    testing?

    --
    Joan

    "Pierre" <> wrote in message
    : Got a Canon G7, and am using 2 memory cards.
    : a 4 GB SDHC and a 256M SD.
    :
    : After taking a shot using the larger capacity SDHC card, it's at
    least
    : 3+ seconds for the camera to process the shot, and ready itself for
    the
    : next shot.
    :
    : The 256M SD card, is just over a one second to perform the same
    : operation.
    :
    : Is this normal, perhaps due to the larger capacity? Both were
    : formatted in the camera.
    :
    : TIA for any thoughts.
    : Pierre
    :
    Joan, Nov 18, 2006

  3. Pierre

    Pete D Guest

    Even if they weren't done "freshly" I can't see it making that much
    difference, seems a lot of extra time to me! I am surprised that you cannot
    take a second shot faster even with the 256Mb card.

    Pete D, Nov 18, 2006
  4. Pierre

    Joan Guest

    Maybe the G7 can't handle the 4GB card. Maybe there was already 2GB
    of data on it. My question stands and awaits an answer.

    --
    Joan

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    : Even if they weren't done "freshly" I can't see it making that much
    : difference, seems a lot of extra time to me! I am surprised that you
    cannot
    : take a second shot faster even with the 256Mb card.
    :
    : "Joan" <2> wrote in message
    : news:455f85ed$0$28215$...
    : > Are both cards freshly formatted in the camera when you start your
    : > testing?
    : >
    Joan, Nov 18, 2006
  5. Pierre

    Pierre Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > Maybe the G7 can't handle the 4GB card. Maybe there was already 2GB
    > of data on it. My question stands and awaits an answer.

    Joan. Both cards were empty and freshly formatted in the camera.

    The G7's specs allows for a 4MB SDHC. It reads and writes well to the
    card, albeit a bit slower on the 4GB card. I was looking to understand
    if this is normal for the cards to behave like that.

    Pierre
    Pierre, Nov 20, 2006
  6. Pierre

    John Bean Guest

    On 20 Nov 2006 09:19:10 -0800, "Pierre" <>
    wrote:
    >The G7's specs allows for a 4MB SDHC. It reads and writes well to the
    >card, albeit a bit slower on the 4GB card. I was looking to understand
    >if this is normal for the cards to behave like that.

    I doubt it's anything to do with SDHC (though it could be a
    factor) but I think the main cause of the slowdown is that
    the 4GB card is formatted FAT32 which in my experience is
    much slower than FAT16 when used in consumer cameras.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Nov 20, 2006