    install an OS and boot from it.

    thanks

    will.

    will, May 11, 2004

  2. will

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > hi,
    >
    > can one actually buy such adapter in NZ?
    >
    > i have a couple of SD memonry cards and it would be nice to be able to
    > install an OS and boot from it.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    DSE have a CF ide adapter XH4137 A SD-CF adapter could be dearer than
    buying a CF card.

    colinco, May 11, 2004

  3. will

    Chris Guest

    Chris, May 11, 2004
  4. will

    will Guest

    will, May 11, 2004
  5. Verbatim (http://www.verbatim.com.au/) sells a product crom "Carry",
    code IISDMC. This is a card reader similar to those suggested by Chris.

    I have two of these. They work okay, but seem to have some issues
    sharing an IDE channel with other devices. They also don't seem to like
    NTFS formatted media when attached to my RAID controller.

    They are seen by the BIOS as Zip drives IIRC, so if you can boot from
    Zip, this may work for you. I haven't tried it myself, mainly because
    none of the imaging software I had would write an image to an SD card.

    Much faster than a USB 1.1 card reader :)

    IMO you would be better off using CF which has two modes supported by
    the cards, one of which is IDE, requiring only a low cost adaptor.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, May 11, 2004