    My question is, why is it limited to 1GB? What would happen if I
    installed a 2GB SD card?

    Cheers
    sean, Jul 20, 2007

  2. sean

    Paul Heslop Guest

    sean wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a camera which takes movies. In the manual it says a SD memory
    > card is optional, up to 1 GB.
    >
    > My question is, why is it limited to 1GB? What would happen if I
    > installed a 2GB SD card?
    >
    > Cheers

    older camera? firmware not programed to handle bigger sizes?

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jul 20, 2007

  3. sean

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:16:37 +0100, sean wrote:

    > I have a camera which takes movies. In the manual it says a SD memory
    > card is optional, up to 1 GB.
    >
    > My question is, why is it limited to 1GB? What would happen if I
    > installed a 2GB SD card?

    There are two possibilities. All cameras have some limit to the
    maximum card size they are compatible with. Depending on how old
    the cameras are you'll see some the won't work with cards larger
    than 128MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, etc. There's another possibility.
    Many cameras that can use cards as large as 2GB and 4GB have a 1GB
    limit for the maximum movie clip size. So with a 4GB card, you'd be
    able to take up to four 1GB movies. If the manual meant the former,
    and you try to use a 2GB card, the camera will probably just display
    an error message on the LCD display or in the viewfinder, and won't
    allow you to take pictures until you replace the memory card with
    one that is compatible with the camera. What camera do you have?
    Someone else here may have the same camera and might be able to
    provide better information about the memory that you should use.
    ASAAR, Jul 20, 2007
  4. sean wrote:
    > I have a camera which takes movies. In the manual it says a SD memory
    > card is optional, up to 1 GB.
    >
    > My question is, why is it limited to 1GB?

    While SD is limited to 2GB by its specification I have never heard of a 1GB
    limit.

    Maybe it is the maximum your camera can handle (older model?), maybe it's
    the maximum size of a single movie file, maybe it is something completely
    different.

    > What would happen if I installed a 2GB SD card?

    Depending on the (unkown) reason the camera may not recognize/work with the
    card at all, may use only 1GB, or may store 2 movies at 1GB each on the
    card. Without more details there is no way of knowing.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 20, 2007
  5. sean

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:16:37 +0100, sean wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a camera which takes movies. In the manual it says a SD memory
    > card is optional, up to 1 GB.
    >
    > My question is, why is it limited to 1GB? What would happen if I
    > installed a 2GB SD card?
    >
    > Cheers

    You can probably use a 2gb, but not 4gb or larger. Reason: 2gb and smaller
    are all formatted FAT16 - 4gb and up are FAT32 - chances are, your camera
    does not understand FAT32; only FAT16.
    ray, Jul 20, 2007
  6. sean

    Allen Guest

    sean wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a camera which takes movies. In the manual it says a SD memory
    > card is optional, up to 1 GB.
    >
    > My question is, why is it limited to 1GB? What would happen if I
    > installed a 2GB SD card?
    >
    > Cheers

    A suggestion that will cost you nothing, if you already have a 2gig
    card--Set your camera to video mode, set it down and start "filming".
    Come back later after it has shut off, put the card in the card reader
    and use your computer to find the file size.
    Allen
    Allen, Jul 20, 2007
  7. sean

    sean Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:34:38 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:16:37 +0100, sean wrote:
    >
    >> I have a camera which takes movies. In the manual it says a SD memory
    >> card is optional, up to 1 GB.
    >>
    >> My question is, why is it limited to 1GB? What would happen if I
    >> installed a 2GB SD card?

    > There are two possibilities. All cameras have some limit to the
    >maximum card size they are compatible with. Depending on how old
    >the cameras are you'll see some the won't work with cards larger
    >than 128MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, etc. There's another possibility.
    >Many cameras that can use cards as large as 2GB and 4GB have a 1GB
    >limit for the maximum movie clip size. So with a 4GB card, you'd be
    >able to take up to four 1GB movies. If the manual meant the former,
    >and you try to use a 2GB card, the camera will probably just display
    >an error message on the LCD display or in the viewfinder, and won't
    >allow you to take pictures until you replace the memory card with
    >one that is compatible with the camera. What camera do you have?
    >Someone else here may have the same camera and might be able to
    >provide better information about the memory that you should use.

    I have a Vivitar DVR-510. Thanks for the info.
    sean, Jul 21, 2007