SD-DVD on Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ed Kim, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Ed  Kim

    Ed Kim Guest

    I was thinking about BluRay/HD-DVD and talking with some friends and
    the topic of SACD/DVDA came up and then on to iPods...

    Anyway, it seems that in the music industry at this point, we were in a
    similar (if somewhat more mature) point as in home video. Technology
    advanced and then there came a very sharp choice available: Increased
    fidelity (SACD/DVDA) or increased convenience (mp3, iPod and clones).
    Market clearly favored mp3s (for a variety of reasons, not all directly
    analogous to home video).

    So, now as hi-res dvd is approaching, i wonder if the public will
    similarly discount increased video fidelity? I wonder if it is
    possible (or likely) that Standard Definiton/resolution DVD would be
    put on the HD-DVD discs. Since the data capacity of these discs is so
    great (what, BluRay says something like 25G/layer and potentially up to
    8 layers?), they could possibly put (say) an entire season (or series,
    maybe?) of FRIENDS on a single HD-DVD/BR disc.

    Big Corps have a history of misjudging the public (for example, their
    initial lack of desire to put TV Shows on dvd). SD on HD discs could
    gain similar momentum and could potentially be the "killer app/feature"
    of the high res format. I'm not so sure that Joe Public cares or
    necessarily wants HD-DVD/BR.

    it seems fairly interesting and may also be the way to get people to
    buy HD players... (some of us still have SD tvs and aren't going to
    upgrade for a while)

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Dec 17, 2004