    Sam Guest

    What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    thought that was too much

    Sam, Dec 28, 2007

  2. Sam

    davek57 Guest

    I've never had a failure using PNY, Kodak, or SanDisk SD cards in my
    Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Kodak, or Fuji digital cameras. I did have
    one Kingston SD card fail, which was replaced at no cost by the
    manufacturer.

    I personally prefer several 2 GB SD cards instead of a single 8 GB
    card. The Best Buy price is extreme; you can get 4, 2 GB cards at
    around $20 each, for a total of 8 GB at $80.

    -[dave]

    davek57, Dec 28, 2007

  3. On "Sam" <sam@nospamformeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee> wrote:

    > What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    >thought that was too much

    That is way overpriced. At B&H 8GB SD cards range from 70-180$, the later
    one as a set with a card reader..

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Dec 28, 2007
  4. Sam

    Bob Williams Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    > thought that was too much

    If you look around the internet, you can usually find SD cards for about
    $10/GB.
    However, when you start playing around with 8GB cards, it is important
    to check on the Speed of the card. It should be at least 100X and
    preferably 133-150X or more. When you start downloading 8GB to your
    computer, a slow card try your patience.
    Try http://www.newegg.com for good prices on memory cards.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Dec 28, 2007
  5. davek57 wrote:

    > On Dec 27, 11:03 pm, "Sam" <sam@nospamformeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee> wrote:
    >> What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    >> thought that was too much

    []
    > I personally prefer several 2 GB SD cards instead of a single 8 GB
    > card. The Best Buy price is extreme; you can get 4, 2 GB cards at
    > around $20 each, for a total of 8 GB at $80.
    >
    > -[dave]

    4 x 2GB sounds a much better policy to me.

    Sam, do you know that your camera (or whatever) can take 8GB SD cards?

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2007
  6. Sam

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    > thought that was too much

    I would much rather have 4 $20 2GB cards!

    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2007
  7. Sam

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:03:58 -0500, Sam wrote:

    > What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    > thought that was too much

    1gb cards are available for about $10 - do the math.

    ray, Dec 28, 2007
  8. Sam

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:03:58 -0500, Sam wrote:
    >
    >> What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    >> thought that was too much

    > 1gb cards are available for about $10 - do the math.

    I saw ads for 2GB SD cards for under $10 after rebate. I suspect they
    will be giving away 1GB cards soon.... Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2007
  9. Sam

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:00:27 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:03:58 -0500, Sam wrote:
    >>
    >>> What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    >>> thought that was too much

    >> 1gb cards are available for about $10 - do the math.
    >>

    > I saw ads for 2GB SD cards for under $10 after rebate. I suspect they
    > will be giving away 1GB cards soon.... Sigh.

    Still recall when I bought my Kodak DC210+ - came with an 8mb card -
    daughter and wife got me a 32mb card for Father's Day - about $60.

    ray, Dec 29, 2007
  10. Sam

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:00:27 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> 1gb cards are available for about $10 - do the math.
    >>>

    >> I saw ads for 2GB SD cards for under $10 after rebate. I suspect they
    >> will be giving away 1GB cards soon.... Sigh.

    > Still recall when I bought my Kodak DC210+ - came with an 8mb card -
    > daughter and wife got me a 32mb card for Father's Day - about $60.

    Yes. The way prices of SD cards (and others) have gone down reminds me
    of a certain large ship about 1912. Now I read of an advancement in
    fabrication of the chips that may increase the data storage 1000 times
    with minimal increase in production cost. Imagine a 1TB card for $10!
    Give it a few years...

    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2007
  11. Sam

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/27/07 10:03 PM, in article
    , "Sam"
    <sam@nospamformeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee> wrote:

    > What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    > thought that was too much

    Ya thunk?

    Try this, bucko:

    http://www.adorama.com/KGSD48GB.html?searchinfo=Kingston 8gb SD&item_no=
    2

    (watch the wordwrap)

    And it's Kingston. With lifetime warranty.

    No. Thank YOU!

    George Kerby, Dec 30, 2007
  12. Sam

    measekite Guest

    Best Buy is the worst store to buy photo (most computer stuff as well) from.&nbsp; Their return policy lags way behind other stores.&nbsp; If you return something with a receipt they want to charge you a restocking fee.&nbsp; I would never buy from them.

    measekite, Jan 12, 2008
  13. Sam

    measekite Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    davek57 wrote:

    On Dec 27, 11:03 pm, "Sam" &lt;sam@nospamformeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee&gt; wrote:

    What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but thought that was too much

    []

    I personally prefer several 2 GB SD cards instead of a single 8 GB card. The Best Buy price is extreme; you can get 4, 2 GB cards at around $20 each, for a total of 8 GB at $80. -[dave]

    4 x 2GB sounds a much better policy to me.

    Why?

    Sam, do you know that your camera (or whatever) can take 8GB SD cards? David

    measekite, Jan 12, 2008
  14. Sam

    measekite Guest

    measekite, Jan 12, 2008
  15. measekite wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Sam wrote:
    >>> What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy
    >>> but thought that was too much
    >>>

    >> I would much rather have 4 $20 2GB cards!

    > Why?

    My reasons would be: lower cost and fewer photos to loose if there's an
    accident.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 12, 2008
  16. Sam

    Ron Hunter Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > Best Buy is the worst store to buy photo (most computer stuff as well)
    > from. Their return policy lags way behind other stores. If you return
    > something with a receipt they want to charge you a restocking fee. I
    > would never buy from them.
    >
    > Sam wrote:
    >> What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    >> thought that was too much

    It depends on WHY you returned the item. If it is defective, then you
    will not be charged a restocking fee (since they won't be restocking it).
    I have dealt with Best Buy for years and never had a single problem with
    them. Perhaps there is a problem with management of your store.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 13, 2008
  17. Sam

    Ron Hunter Guest

    measekite wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Sam wrote:
    >>> What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    >>> thought that was too much
    >>>

    >> I would much rather have 4 $20 2GB cards!

    > Why?

    First, because I am wary of putting all my eggs in one basket. Second,
    it is more flexible, in that I can use multiple cards for multiple
    purposes, simultaneously. Third, it is about 70% cheaper!

    Ron Hunter, Jan 13, 2008
  18. Sam

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:03:58 -0500, "Sam"
    <sam@nospamformeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee> wrote:

    > What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but
    >thought that was too much

    First, I'm assuming you really mean SDs and not mini or micro SD.

    Try NewEgg. Their prices for top end cards are much better.
    Speeds vary widely too from standard to 150X, although the transfer
    rate is the important number. Sometimes you can find it and some times
    not. So take care to get the right ones for your camera. Too slow
    would slow you down, while too fast would be spending extra money
    needlessly. OTOH the faster would work with newer, faster cameras IF
    they still used the same memory.

    Size, depends on what you are using for a camera. If an 8 Gig gives
    you over a thousand shots, I'd go for smaller cards.

    HOWEVER the SD cards are so small they are very easy to misplace or
    lose. So you have to balance that with capacity when on long trips.
    On long trips 4 cards would save a lot of photos.

    NewEgg has Transcend 150X 4 Gig for $60, so two top end cards would
    give you 8Gig for $120 USD.

    2Gig OCZ 150 X @ $16. Prices and speeds vary all over the place.

    Good Luck.

    Roger (K8RI)

    Roger (K8RI), Jan 14, 2008
  19. Sam

    measekite Guest

    Roger (K8RI) wrote:

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:03:58 -0500, "Sam" &lt;sam@nospamformeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee&gt; wrote:

    What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy but thought that was too much

    Best Buy is a very bad place to buy anything technical.&nbsp; If you want to return it for any reason they will charge you a restocking fee even if you have a receipt.&nbsp; Who needs them.&nbsp; You can get as good a price from many places who have reasonable return policies.

    measekite, Jan 23, 2008
  20. Sam

    measekite Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >> Best Buy is the worst store to buy photo (most computer stuff as
    >> well) from. Their return policy lags way behind other stores. If
    >> you return something with a receipt they want to charge you a
    >> restocking fee. I would never buy from them.
    >>
    >> Sam wrote:
    >>> What brand of SD card are best I saw a 8gb for $199. at best buy
    >>> but thought that was too much
    >>>

    > It depends on WHY you returned the item. If it is defective, then you
    > will not be charged a restocking fee (since they won't be restocking it).
    > I have dealt with Best Buy for years and never had a single problem
    > with them. Perhaps there is a problem with management of your store.

    Not at all. Follow this scenario. Based on advertising and
    specifications you purchase something where you have a reasonable
    expectation. After trying it out you find that you expectations were
    not met and the product was just hyped up. So you want to return it
    with a receipt. The product was actually sold under false pretenses (or
    the BB sales person gave you incorrect or inflated information) and now
    you are facing a restocking fee.

    There are many other vendors who have even better prices without this
    general policy. BB offers you nothing that other stores offer with the
    exception that they do not offer rebates.

    measekite, Jan 23, 2008