    might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.

    SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston, etc
    P.Schuman, Jun 18, 2007

  2. P.Schuman wrote:
    > Along with my new Canon SD1000 for father's day,
    > I received a Sandisk 2GB SD card.
    >
    > Don't have any other SD cards, so these are new to us.
    >
    > SanDisk doesn't list the "speed" of the standard SDSDB-2048-A10 card.
    > In reading some other threads, it seems like the write speed
    > might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.
    >
    > SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    > Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston,
    > etc

    As with all things computer-related, the manufacturers think that speed is
    the only quality we are looking for, so they brand their goods Ultra or
    Extreme so that mugs like you and I will buy them.

    DP
    Dennis Pogson, Jun 18, 2007

  3. P.Schuman

    Guest

    On Jun 17, 10:32 pm, "P.Schuman" <>
    wrote:
    > Along with my new Canon SD1000 for father's day,
    > I received a Sandisk 2GB SD card.
    >
    > Don't have any other SD cards, so these are new to us.
    >
    > SanDisk doesn't list the "speed" of the standard SDSDB-2048-A10 card.
    > In reading some other threads, it seems like the write speed
    > might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.
    >
    > SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    > Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston, etc

    SanDisk cards come in standard 24x, Ultra 60x, Extreme3 133x or
    Extreme4 150X, I'm not sure if those are exact speed numbers but they
    are close. Most P&S cameras do OK with the Standard or Ultra, but
    your's is a 10mp, so the jpegs are fairly large you may want a little
    faster card, Ultra would be fine. Check what is recommended in the
    camera's manual too. Where you really notice the difference is
    downloading images to your computer with a card reader, the faster
    cards do noticably faster downloads.

    Tom
    , Jun 18, 2007
  4. P.Schuman

    Victek Guest

    "P.Schuman" <> wrote in message
    > Along with my new Canon SD1000 for father's day,
    > I received a Sandisk 2GB SD card.
    >
    > Don't have any other SD cards, so these are new to us.
    >
    > SanDisk doesn't list the "speed" of the standard SDSDB-2048-A10 card.
    > In reading some other threads, it seems like the write speed
    > might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.
    >
    > SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    > Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston, etc

    You may find another recent thread in this NG helpful titled:

    "Recommeded memory speed for supercompact?"

    Although the thread is informative the bottom line seems to be you have to
    try the faster cards with your own camera to see if they improve
    performance. However, (as someone else noted) a faster card will definitely
    transfer pictures to the computer more quickly if you use a card reader.
    Victek, Jun 18, 2007
  5. P.Schuman

    Guest

    On Jun 18, 2:46 pm, "Victek" <> wrote:
    > "P.Schuman" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:A8mdi.4608$...> Along with my new Canon SD1000 for father's day,
    > > I received a Sandisk 2GB SD card.

    > > Don't have any other SD cards, so these are new to us.

    > > SanDisk doesn't list the "speed" of the standard SDSDB-2048-A10 card.
    > > In reading some other threads, it seems like the write speed
    > > might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.

    > > SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    > > Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston, etc

    > You may find another recent thread in this NG helpful titled:
    >
    > "Recommeded memory speed for supercompact?"
    >
    > Although the thread is informative the bottom line seems to be you have to
    > try the faster cards with your own camera to see if they improve
    > performance. However, (as someone else noted) a faster card will definitely
    > transfer pictures to the computer more quickly if you use a card reader.

    I have a 10 MP camera, and the regular I GB SD card that I purchased
    from Walmart ( 2 x 1 GB cards for $30) worked just fine. I just simply
    don't know what is the difference. I thought it is related to download
    data to the computer... but I don't really care that much. I think it
    is just an advertisement gimmick. Do you also know that they also sell
    CD specifically for storing photos. I don't know about this either. I
    know that there is high quality and durable CD or DVDs (more difficult
    to scratch), I but I don't know if the CD/DVD makes difference whether
    they store data, MP3 music, or JPEG files?
    , Jun 19, 2007
  6. P.Schuman

    Victek Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 18, 2:46 pm, "Victek" <> wrote:
    >> "P.Schuman" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:A8mdi.4608$...> Along with my new
    >> Canon SD1000 for father's day,
    >> > I received a Sandisk 2GB SD card.

    >> > Don't have any other SD cards, so these are new to us.

    >> > SanDisk doesn't list the "speed" of the standard SDSDB-2048-A10 card.
    >> > In reading some other threads, it seems like the write speed
    >> > might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.

    >> > SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    >> > Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston,
    >> > etc

    >> You may find another recent thread in this NG helpful titled:
    >>
    >> "Recommeded memory speed for supercompact?"
    >>
    >> Although the thread is informative the bottom line seems to be you have
    >> try the faster cards with your own camera to see if they improve
    >> performance. However, (as someone else noted) a faster card will
    >> definitely
    >> transfer pictures to the computer more quickly if you use a card reader.

    > I have a 10 MP camera, and the regular I GB SD card that I purchased
    > from Walmart ( 2 x 1 GB cards for $30) worked just fine. I just simply
    > don't know what is the difference. I thought it is related to download
    > data to the computer... but I don't really care that much. I think it
    > is just an advertisement gimmick. Do you also know that they also sell
    > CD specifically for storing photos. I don't know about this either. I
    > know that there is high quality and durable CD or DVDs (more difficult
    > to scratch), I but I don't know if the CD/DVD makes difference whether
    > they store data, MP3 music, or JPEG files?

    I don't believe the disk knows what kind of files are being written to it,
    so I have to say the notion of special disks for photos is bogus. Regarding
    memory speed for cameras, a faster card is desirable only if you're trying
    to take multiple shots and need the camera to recover as quickly as
    possible. Slower cards certainly "work fine", just more slowly. The
    question is will a faster card actually speed up the process? The answer is
    yes IF the current card has a write speed which is slower then the camera
    can send data to it. But it sounds like you're happy with your camera's
    performance and this isn't an issue for you.
    Victek, Jun 19, 2007
  7. P.Schuman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 2:46 pm, "Victek" <> wrote:
    >> "P.Schuman" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:A8mdi.4608$...> Along with my new Canon SD1000 for father's day,
    >>> I received a Sandisk 2GB SD card.
    >>> Don't have any other SD cards, so these are new to us.
    >>> SanDisk doesn't list the "speed" of the standard SDSDB-2048-A10 card.
    >>> In reading some other threads, it seems like the write speed
    >>> might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.
    >>> SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    >>> Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston, etc

    >> You may find another recent thread in this NG helpful titled:
    >>
    >> "Recommeded memory speed for supercompact?"
    >>
    >> Although the thread is informative the bottom line seems to be you have to
    >> try the faster cards with your own camera to see if they improve
    >> performance. However, (as someone else noted) a faster card will definitely
    >> transfer pictures to the computer more quickly if you use a card reader.

    > I have a 10 MP camera, and the regular I GB SD card that I purchased
    > from Walmart ( 2 x 1 GB cards for $30) worked just fine. I just simply
    > don't know what is the difference. I thought it is related to download
    > data to the computer... but I don't really care that much. I think it
    > is just an advertisement gimmick. Do you also know that they also sell
    > CD specifically for storing photos. I don't know about this either. I
    > know that there is high quality and durable CD or DVDs (more difficult
    > to scratch), I but I don't know if the CD/DVD makes difference whether
    > they store data, MP3 music, or JPEG files?

    Whether or not a flash card is 'fast enough' depends on several things,
    such as the speed at which your camera can write to it (a spec. not
    usually included, so experiment)
    The speed of the card reader interface.

    All modern cards are more than fast enough to max out USB 1.1 transfers,
    and many are fast enough to max out the EFFECTIVE transfer rate of USB
    2.0 Hi-speed. The difference is rather dramatic with a fast card, and
    USB 2.0 Hi-speed. A transfer of 1GB of data at USB 1.1 speeds (1.5
    mB/s) means you can take quite a long time. Often, with overhead, as
    much as 30 minutes.
    Ron Hunter, Jun 19, 2007
  8. P.Schuman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Victek wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Jun 18, 2:46 pm, "Victek" <> wrote:
    >>> "P.Schuman" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> news:A8mdi.4608$...> Along with my
    >>> new Canon SD1000 for father's day,

    >>> Kingston, > etc
    >>>
    >>> You may find another recent thread in this NG helpful titled:
    >>>
    >>> "Recommeded memory speed for supercompact?"
    >>>
    >>> Although the thread is informative the bottom line seems to be you
    >>> have to
    >>> try the faster cards with your own camera to see if they improve
    >>> performance. However, (as someone else noted) a faster card will
    >>> definitely
    >>> transfer pictures to the computer more quickly if you use a card reader.

    >> I have a 10 MP camera, and the regular I GB SD card that I purchased
    >> from Walmart ( 2 x 1 GB cards for $30) worked just fine. I just simply
    >> don't know what is the difference. I thought it is related to download
    >> data to the computer... but I don't really care that much. I think it
    >> is just an advertisement gimmick. Do you also know that they also sell
    >> CD specifically for storing photos. I don't know about this either. I
    >> know that there is high quality and durable CD or DVDs (more difficult
    >> to scratch), I but I don't know if the CD/DVD makes difference whether
    >> they store data, MP3 music, or JPEG files?

    > I don't believe the disk knows what kind of files are being written to
    > it, so I have to say the notion of special disks for photos is bogus.
    > Regarding memory speed for cameras, a faster card is desirable only if
    > you're trying to take multiple shots and need the camera to recover as
    > quickly as possible. Slower cards certainly "work fine", just more
    > slowly. The question is will a faster card actually speed up the
    > process? The answer is yes IF the current card has a write speed which
    > is slower then the camera can send data to it. But it sounds like
    > you're happy with your camera's performance and this isn't an issue for
    > you.

    It can make a difference is one is saving video. I have one old card
    that can't keep up with saving video and causes 'skips' in the viewed
    video. I currently have this card in my 'digital picture frame'. Works
    great there.
    I don't know if dealers are prepared to allow customers to actually test
    their cameras with faster cards, as this might tend to depress sales of
    the faster cards, but a good dealer should offer this option to a good
    customer.
    Ron Hunter, Jun 19, 2007