    What are the good makes?
    --
    Chris

    Chris, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Chris

    Bob Williams Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > SD cards - ordinary or high speed - what's the difference?
    > What difference would I notice?
    > Are they a lot more expensive?
    > Are they worth it?
    > What are the good makes?

    Most P/S cameras cannot really take advantage of high speed memory cards.
    The bottleneck in writing to the memory card is the P/S camera itself.
    Many upscale SLRs have advanced software and can write very fast.
    If you are into rapid shooting of sports events with an upscale SLR it
    will pay to have a high speed card, but with most P/S cameras you
    probably won't see any significant difference in shooting speed.
    However, you will see a significant difference in download speed to
    your computer if you use a Firewire or USB 2 card reader.

    I have not seen any difference in reliability or performance vs brand
    name. They all work well.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 5, 2004

  3. "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    > Chris wrote:
    >> SD cards - ordinary or high speed - what's the difference?
    >> What difference would I notice?
    >> Are they a lot more expensive?
    >> Are they worth it?
    >> What are the good makes?

    > Most P/S cameras cannot really take advantage of high speed memory cards.
    > The bottleneck in writing to the memory card is the P/S camera itself.
    > Many upscale SLRs have advanced software and can write very fast.
    > If you are into rapid shooting of sports events with an upscale SLR it
    > will pay to have a high speed card, but with most P/S cameras you probably
    > won't see any significant difference in shooting speed.
    > However, you will see a significant difference in download speed to your
    > computer if you use a Firewire or USB 2 card reader.
    >
    > I have not seen any difference in reliability or performance vs brand
    > name. They all work well.
    > Bob Williams

    My Minolta Z3 refuses to take more than 5 seconds 640x480 video at 30fps
    with a standard SD card, I guess that's as much as it's own internal memory
    can hold. I'm waiting for a high speed 1GB SD card to arrive, if anyone in
    the UK wants one search ebuyer.co.uk for a Kingmax card, £59 inc VAT & free
    delivery.

    Brian Sheldon, Nov 5, 2004