    measekite Guest

    Canon has announced the new Canon Digital Rebel Xsi aka 450D and has replaced the Compact Flash slot with an SD Card slot.  I wonder if that is going to begin a trend for DSLRs in general to be based on SD Cards.

    SD Cards seem to be smaller and cheaper and I cannot see any disadvantage in the larger CF format.  Any opinions?
    measekite, Feb 16, 2008

  2. measekite

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:BjHtj.1911$ measekite
    <> wrote:

    ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    ><head>
    ></head>

    What?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Feb 16, 2008

  3. measekite

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <Xns9A46941571B58VeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7>, Bert Hyman
    <> writes
    >In news:BjHtj.1911$ measekite
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    >><head>
    >></head>

    >What?

    Looks like your newsreader is broken, I saw text without any of the html
    instructions. I had to do a view > raw message text in order to see the
    html instructions.
    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    Prometheus, Feb 16, 2008
  4. measekite

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, Prometheus
    <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Looks like your newsreader is broken, I saw text without any of the html
    > instructions. I had to do a view > raw message text in order to see the
    > html instructions.

    No, he's retarded.

    Many of us have told him to quit posting in HTML, but his comprehension
    skills appear to be nil.
    Mr. Strat, Feb 16, 2008
  5. measekite

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <BjHtj.1911$>, measekite
    <> wrote:

    > <head>
    > </head>
    > Xsi aka 450D and has replaced the Compact Flash slot with an SD Card
    > slot.&nbsp; I wonder if that is going to begin a trend for DSLRs in general
    > to be based on SD Cards.<br>
    > SD Cards seem to be smaller and cheaper and I cannot see any
    > disadvantage in the larger CF format.&nbsp; Any opinions?<br>

    Oh yeah...posting in HTML in newsgroups.

    A clue is a terrible thing to waste.
    Mr. Strat, Feb 16, 2008
  6. measekite

    flambe Guest

    Just as CPUs are down to 45nm processes the sizes of chips for flash memory at reliable high speeds is such that the performance of SD cards is identical to compact flash. Camera makers can use the extra real estate that even the small size difference between compact flash and SD cards generates. Form factors can go even smaller than SD but fingers do not get smaller and smaller memory cards are even easier to lose.
    flambe, Feb 16, 2008
  7. measekite

    The Augur Guest

    Just as CPUs are down to 45nm processes the sizes of chips for flash memory at reliable high speeds is such that the performance of SD cards is identical to compact flash. Camera makers can use the extra real estate that even the small size difference between compact flash and SD cards generates. Form factors can go even smaller than SD but fingers do not get smaller and smaller memory cards are even easier to lose.

    SD cards are slower than CF cards. Fastest SD card is 20MB/sec and fastest CF card is 40MB/sec. Since the latest CF specification has an interface that can operate at 133MB/sec expect even faster CF cards this year.

    Interestingly enough the SD fastest speed class 6 is 6MB/sec or greater. I'm not sure if any CF cards are even manufacturered any more that are that slow.
    The Augur, Feb 16, 2008
  8. measekite

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Prometheus
    <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > In article <Xns9A46941571B58VeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7>, Bert Hyman
    ><> writes
    >>In news:BjHtj.1911$ measekite
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    >>><head>
    >>></head>

    >>What?

    > Looks like your newsreader is broken,

    No.

    Looks like the OP's posting software is seriously screwed up.

    HTML has no place in USENET; my server at work is configured to reject
    any HTML content.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Feb 16, 2008
  9. measekite

    Ron Hunter Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > Canon has announced the new Canon Digital Rebel Xsi aka 450D and has
    > replaced the Compact Flash slot with an SD Card slot. I wonder if that
    > is going to begin a trend for DSLRs in general to be based on SD Cards.
    >
    > SD Cards seem to be smaller and cheaper and I cannot see any
    > disadvantage in the larger CF format. Any opinions?

    I find the smaller size to be a slight disadvantage, in the 'handling'
    aspect. However, that seems to be the direction the market is going.
    The prices are still falling, with 2GB SD cards going below $15 on sale.
    I can't see any functional advantage of one format over the other. I
    have two cameras, and a GPS that use the SD cards, and they have been
    totally reliable in use so far. They are a bit easier to lose, however.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 17, 2008
  10. measekite

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The Augur wrote:
    > Just as CPUs are down to 45nm processes the sizes of chips for flash
    > memory at reliable high speeds is such that the performance of SD cards
    > is identical to compact flash. Camera makers can use the extra real
    > estate that even the small size difference between compact flash and SD
    > cards generates. Form factors can go even smaller than SD but fingers do
    > not get smaller and smaller memory cards are even easier to lose.
    >
    > SD cards are slower than CF cards. Fastest SD card is 20MB/sec and
    > fastest CF card is 40MB/sec. Since the latest CF specification has an
    > interface that can operate at 133MB/sec expect even faster CF cards this
    > year.
    >
    > Interestingly enough the SD fastest speed class 6 is 6MB/sec or
    > greater. I'm not sure if any CF cards are even manufacturered any more
    > that are that slow.

    That specification is similar to the USB 2.0 spec. VERY much dependent
    on implementation, and few cameras in the consumer market would be able
    to handle data at those higher speeds.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 17, 2008
  11. measekite

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:27:21 -0800, The Augur wrote:

    > Just as CPUs are down to 45nm processes the sizes of chips for flash
    > memory at reliable high speeds is such that the performance of SD cards
    > is identical to compact flash. Camera makers can use the extra real
    > estate that even the small size difference between compact flash and SD
    > cards generates. Form factors can go even smaller than SD but fingers do
    > not get smaller and smaller memory cards are even easier to lose.
    >
    > SD cards are slower than CF cards. Fastest SD card is 20MB/sec and
    > fastest CF card is 40MB/sec. Since the latest CF specification has an
    > interface that can operate at 133MB/sec expect even faster CF cards this
    > year.
    >
    > Interestingly enough the SD fastest speed class 6 is 6MB/sec or greater.
    > I'm not sure if any CF cards are even manufacturered any more that are
    > that slow.

    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    > <META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.16608" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE>
    > </HEAD>
    > <BODY text=#000000 bgColor=#ffffff>
    > <DIV><FONT face=sans-serif><FONT size=2>Just as CPUs are down to 45nm
    > processes the sizes of chips for flash memory at reliable high speeds is
    > such that the performance of SD cards is identical to compact flash.
    > Camera makers can use the extra real estate that even the small size
    > difference between compact flash and SD cards generates. Form factors
    > can go even smaller than SD but fingers do not get smaller and smaller
    > memory cards are even easier to lose.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
    > <DIV><FONT face=sans-serif><FONT size=2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV><FONT face=sans-serif><FONT size=2>SD cards are&nbsp;slower than CF
    > cards.&nbsp; Fastest SD card is 20MB/sec and fastest CF card is
    > 40MB/sec.&nbsp; Since the latest CF specification has an interface that
    > can operate at 133MB/sec expect even faster CF cards this
    > year.</FONT></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=sans-serif><FONT
    > size=2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=sans-serif><FONT
    > size=2>Interestingly enough the SD fastest speed class 6 is 6MB/sec or
    > greater.&nbsp; I'm not sure if any CF cards are even manufacturered any
    > more that are that slow.</FONT></DIV>
    > <DIV><BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

    Please don't post in html and keep your line length to below 80. Not
    everyone has a free bus pass to get to the end.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l
    Neil Ellwood, Feb 17, 2008
  12. measekite

    Guest Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > measekite wrote:
    > > Canon has announced the new Canon Digital Rebel Xsi aka 450D and has
    > > replaced the Compact Flash slot with an SD Card slot. I wonder if that
    > > is going to begin a trend for DSLRs in general to be based on SD Cards.
    > >
    > > SD Cards seem to be smaller and cheaper and I cannot see any
    > > disadvantage in the larger CF format. Any opinions?

    > I find the smaller size to be a slight disadvantage, in the 'handling'
    > aspect. However, that seems to be the direction the market is going.
    > The prices are still falling, with 2GB SD cards going below $15 on sale.
    > I can't see any functional advantage of one format over the other. I
    > have two cameras, and a GPS that use the SD cards, and they have been
    > totally reliable in use so far. They are a bit easier to lose, however.

    A major difference is availability, e.g. Sandisk advertises 16 and 32
    GB UltraII SD cards on their website, but just try finding these at a
    retailer, or even in Sandisk's own online store.
    Guest, Feb 17, 2008
  13. measekite

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >measekite wrote:
    >> Canon has announced the new Canon Digital Rebel Xsi aka 450D and has
    >> replaced the Compact Flash slot with an SD Card slot. I wonder if that
    >> is going to begin a trend for DSLRs in general to be based on SD Cards.
    >>
    >> SD Cards seem to be smaller and cheaper and I cannot see any
    >> disadvantage in the larger CF format. Any opinions?

    >I find the smaller size to be a slight disadvantage, in the 'handling'
    >aspect. However, that seems to be the direction the market is going.
    >The prices are still falling, with 2GB SD cards going below $15 on sale.
    > I can't see any functional advantage of one format over the other. I
    >have two cameras, and a GPS that use the SD cards, and they have been
    >totally reliable in use so far. They are a bit easier to lose, however.

    The disadvantage to CF is that it uses pins to make the contact with the
    camera. One pin bent and thats all she wrote for your camera!!!!!!!
    GMAN, Feb 18, 2008
  14. measekite

    John Turco Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:

    > In news: Prometheus
    > <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <Xns9A46941571B58VeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7>, Bert Hyman
    > ><> writes

    > >>What?

    > > Looks like your newsreader is broken,

    > No.
    >
    > Looks like the OP's posting software is seriously screwed up.
    >
    > HTML has no place in USENET; my server at work is configured to reject
    > any HTML content.

    Hello, Bert:

    I concur, as such HTML junk appears in my own news reader (Netscape
    Communicator 4.8), also. It may be an old application (circa 2003),
    and Netscape (the company) is definitely defunct, but, that hardly
    excuses "measekite's" inconsiderate behavior.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Feb 19, 2008
  15. measekite

    measekite Guest

    GMAN wrote:

    In article &lt;&gt;, Ron Hunter &lt;&gt; wrote:

[...]

    Then since Canon changed on the new Rebel 450D to SD then why do they continue with CF like in the 40D?&nbsp; The fact that the target audience is not exactly the same should not be a reason.
    measekite, Feb 19, 2008
  16. measekite

    measekite Guest

    John Turco wrote:

    Bert Hyman wrote:

    In news: Prometheus &lt;Prometheus@127.0.0.1&gt; wrote:

    In article &lt;Xns9A46941571B58VeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7&gt;, Bert Hyman &lt;&gt; writes

    In news:BjHtj.1911$ measekite &lt;&gt; wrote:

    &lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"&gt; &lt;html&gt; &lt;head&gt; &lt;/head&gt; &lt;body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"&gt;

    What?

    Looks like your newsreader is broken,

    No. Looks like the OP's posting software is seriously screwed up. HTML has no place in USENET; my server at work is configured to reject any HTML content.

    Hello, Bert: I concur, as such HTML junk appears in my own news reader (Netscape Communicator 4.8), also. It may be an old application (circa 2003), and Netscape (the company) is definitely defunct, but, that hardly excuses "measekite's" inconsiderate behavior.

    One should not be shunned to move back from the 21st century of computing to the dark ages because some people refuse to upgrade their software and want to continue to use stuff from the dial up modem days.

    Today people have fast pentiums or even dual core with gigabytes of memory and even more storage and have T! speed and higher instead of 33k when all of these archaic stuff was used.

    Cordially, John Turco &lt;&gt;
    measekite, Feb 19, 2008
  17. measekite

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:02:37 -0800, measekite <>
    wrote:

    >Canon has announced the new Canon Digital Rebel Xsi aka 450D and
    >has replaced the Compact Flash slot with an SD Card slot. I
    >wonder if that is going to begin a trend for DSLRs in general
    >to be based on SD Cards.
    >
    >SD Cards seem to be smaller and cheaper and I cannot see any
    >disadvantage in the larger CF format. Any opinions?

    While I like the larger CF format because it is easier to handle, it has
    one potentially major drawback: All of those tiny connector pins it
    needs to mate with in the camera. Bend or break one of those tiny pins
    inside the camera and the camera is pretty much toast! Those pins need
    to be in almost perfect alignment as you insert the CF card.

    While I have never had such a problem in the 7 years I have been using
    CF cards, it remains a hazard.

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Feb 19, 2008
  18. measekite

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (measekite) wrote in

    ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    ><head>
    > http-equiv="Content-Type">
    ></head>

    What?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Feb 19, 2008
  19. measekite

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    I think you will get along a lot better if you disable HTML posting in
    your Usenet client. HTML posting can bring a LOT of flames in certain
    news groups. I don't know what Micro$oft was thinking when they
    introduced HTML to Usenet! It was one of the biggest disasters around.
    Usenet began as a text-only system, and many would like to keep it that
    way.

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Feb 19, 2008
  20. measekite

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 04:21:28 -0600, John Turco <>
    wrote in <>:

    >Bert Hyman wrote:
    >>
    >> In news: Prometheus
    >> <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <Xns9A46941571B58VeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7>, Bert Hyman
    >> ><> writes

    >> > Looks like your newsreader is broken,

    >> No.
    >>
    >> Looks like the OP's posting software is seriously screwed up.
    >>
    >> HTML has no place in USENET; my server at work is configured to reject
    >> any HTML content.

    >I concur, as such HTML junk appears in my own news reader (Netscape
    >Communicator 4.8), also. It may be an old application (circa 2003),
    >and Netscape (the company) is definitely defunct, but, that hardly
    >excuses "measekite's" inconsiderate behavior.

    My principal newsreader is Forte Agent 1.93, which IMHO had never been
    equaled, much less beat, by other newsreaders, including later bloated
    versions of Forte Agent. Designed as a pure Usenet newsreader to Usenet
    standards, it can only handle plain text directly.

    HTML posting, like much other Microsoft conduct, is contrary to Usenet
    standards, rude, and wasteful of Usenet resources.

    After asking nicely a couple of times, I add anyone rude enough to
    persist in HTML posting to my twit filter, which is of course no great
    loss.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas