    the camera's,, Any thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the
    manual says nothing about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into
    this? thanks in advance.

    SJ, Sep 22, 2006

  2. SJ

    iws Guest

    "SJ" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    I got a new 2gb Scandisk SD card for my wife's SD400 and found that I cannot
    format it. It allows about 145 5mp pictures to be taken and then gives and
    error message. I figured the card might be bad (got it on Ebay) and the
    seller sent me a new one. I tried the new one with the same results. 2
    weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card might be too large for
    her camera. Well it won't format in the S3 either. I sent it back to the
    ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once again exchanged it, but with some
    "no namer" brand that looks like a scandisk card. I got it today and it
    still will not format in either camera. I have a 128k, and numerous smaller
    sd cards that format fine in both cameras, so I doubt it's a problem with
    the camera's,, Any thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the
    manual says nothing about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into
    this? thanks in advance.

    According to this link http://www.patriotmem.com/support/flashCompatp.jsp ,
    the 2GB should work in the S3. I understand that there are a lot of crappy
    SD cards hawked on ebay. From what I can tell, ebay is not any cheaper than
    a reputable supplier like Newegg.

    iws, Sep 22, 2006

  3. SJ

    Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:58:30 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:

    > I got a new 2gb Scandisk SD card for my wife's SD400 and found that I cannot
    > format it. It allows about 145 5mp pictures to be taken and then gives and
    > error message. I figured the card might be bad (got it on Ebay) and the
    > seller sent me a new one. I tried the new one with the same results. 2
    > weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card might be too large for
    > her camera. Well it won't format in the S3 either. I sent it back to the
    > ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once again exchanged it, but with some
    > "no namer" brand that looks like a scandisk card. I got it today and it
    > still will not format in either camera. I have a 128k, and numerous smaller
    > sd cards that format fine in both cameras, so I doubt it's a problem with
    > the camera's,, Any thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the
    > manual says nothing about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into
    > this? thanks in advance.

    I'm using a 2 gig SD card in my Canon S2 IS, so it should work for sure in the S3.

    I'd say it is a simple case of fake SD cards. I doubt any real ones are sold these days on Ebay.

    , Sep 22, 2006
  4. SJ

    Dave Cohen Guest

    SJ wrote:
    > I got a new 2gb Scandisk SD card for my wife's SD400 and found that I
    > cannot format it. It allows about 145 5mp pictures to be taken and then
    > gives and error message. I figured the card might be bad (got it on
    > Ebay) and the seller sent me a new one. I tried the new one with the
    > same results. 2 weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card
    > might be too large for her camera. Well it won't format in the S3
    > either. I sent it back to the ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once
    > again exchanged it, but with some "no namer" brand that looks like a
    > scandisk card. I got it today and it still will not format in either
    > camera. I have a 128k, and numerous smaller sd cards that format fine
    > in both cameras, so I doubt it's a problem with the camera's,, Any
    > thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the manual says nothing
    > about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into this? thanks in
    > advance.

    I'm continually surprised by reading about bad experience of people
    buying on ebay. I can't believe there is much of a savings once postage
    is factored in.
    A decent store would let you test before you left the store provided you
    assured them you are serious.
    If you must order on-line, pick a decent supplier.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 22, 2006
  5. SJ

    sally Guest

    In article <jTJQg.85$Rp3.4@dukeread12>, iws <> wrote:
    >According to this link http://www.patriotmem.com/support/flashCompatp.jsp ,
    >the 2GB should work in the S3. I understand that there are a lot of crappy
    >SD cards hawked on ebay. From what I can tell, ebay is not any cheaper than
    >a reputable supplier like Newegg.

    I use 2GB SD cards in both my Canon SD450 and Canon S2IS with no problems.
    I formatted the cards with the camera. I understand that bigger cards
    will work, but you cannot format them in the camera. I agree about
    buying from legit sellers only; a lot of the EBay cards are imported
    directly from Asia with no quality control or customer support and
    possibly counterfit labels.

    sally, Sep 22, 2006
  6. SJ

    SJ Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    SJ wrote:
    > I got a new 2gb Scandisk SD card for my wife's SD400 and found that I
    > cannot format it. It allows about 145 5mp pictures to be taken and then
    > gives and error message. I figured the card might be bad (got it on
    > Ebay) and the seller sent me a new one. I tried the new one with the
    > same results. 2 weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card
    > might be too large for her camera. Well it won't format in the S3
    > either. I sent it back to the ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once
    > again exchanged it, but with some "no namer" brand that looks like a
    > scandisk card. I got it today and it still will not format in either
    > camera. I have a 128k, and numerous smaller sd cards that format fine
    > in both cameras, so I doubt it's a problem with the camera's,, Any
    > thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the manual says nothing
    > about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into this? thanks in
    > advance.

    I'm continually surprised by reading about bad experience of people
    buying on ebay. I can't believe there is much of a savings once postage
    is factored in.
    A decent store would let you test before you left the store provided you
    assured them you are serious.
    If you must order on-line, pick a decent supplier.
    Dave Cohen

    Thanks for all the advice guys, I agree about the ebay quality problem.
    Dave, did you used to post on the weightlifting and bodybuilding newsgroups,
    you sound familiar?

    SJ, Sep 23, 2006
  7. SJ

    Hoshisato Guest

    SJ wrote:
    > I got a new 2gb Scandisk SD card for my wife's SD400 and found that I cannot
    > format it. It allows about 145 5mp pictures to be taken and then gives and
    > error message. I figured the card might be bad (got it on Ebay) and the
    > seller sent me a new one. I tried the new one with the same results. 2
    > weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card might be too large for
    > her camera. Well it won't format in the S3 either. I sent it back to the
    > ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once again exchanged it, but with some
    > "no namer" brand that looks like a scandisk card. I got it today and it
    > still will not format in either camera. I have a 128k, and numerous smaller
    > sd cards that format fine in both cameras, so I doubt it's a problem with
    > the camera's,, Any thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the
    > manual says nothing about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into
    > this? thanks in advance.

    I have no idea about this particular camera, but could it be that you
    have an old firmware version?

    Hoshisato, Sep 23, 2006
  8. SJ

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:58:30 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:

    >weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card might be too large for
    >her camera. Well it won't format in the S3 either. I sent it back to the
    >ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once again exchanged it, but with some
    >"no namer" brand that looks like a scandisk card. I got it today and it
    >still will not format in either camera.

    I use a 2gb Sandisk and a 4gb Transcend in my S3 IS, both work great,
    both format fine, either low level or faster format.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Sep 23, 2006
  9. SJ

    Dave Cohen Guest

    SJ wrote:
    > "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > SJ wrote:
    >> I got a new 2gb Scandisk SD card for my wife's SD400 and found that I
    >> cannot format it. It allows about 145 5mp pictures to be taken and then
    >> gives and error message. I figured the card might be bad (got it on
    >> Ebay) and the seller sent me a new one. I tried the new one with the
    >> same results. 2 weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card
    >> might be too large for her camera. Well it won't format in the S3
    >> either. I sent it back to the ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once
    >> again exchanged it, but with some "no namer" brand that looks like a
    >> scandisk card. I got it today and it still will not format in either
    >> camera. I have a 128k, and numerous smaller sd cards that format fine
    >> in both cameras, so I doubt it's a problem with the camera's,, Any
    >> thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the manual says nothing
    >> about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into this? thanks in
    >> advance.

    > I'm continually surprised by reading about bad experience of people
    > buying on ebay. I can't believe there is much of a savings once postage
    > is factored in.
    > A decent store would let you test before you left the store provided you
    > assured them you are serious.
    > If you must order on-line, pick a decent supplier.
    > Dave Cohen
    >
    > Thanks for all the advice guys, I agree about the ebay quality problem.
    > Dave, did you used to post on the weightlifting and bodybuilding newsgroups,
    > you sound familiar?

    No I didn't. I wish I had, then I would be a strong hefty he-man rather
    than a little wimp. Still, my wife is happy the way I am and at 76 who
    cares anyway.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 23, 2006
  10. SJ

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Try formatting the SD cards using your computer, rather than your camera.

    Bill Crocker

    I got a new 2gb Scandisk SD card for my wife's SD400 and found that I cannot format it. It allows about 145 5mp pictures to be taken and then gives and error message. I figured the card might be bad (got it on Ebay) and the seller sent me a new one. I tried the new one with the same results. 2 weeks ago I got a Canon S3 and figured the 2gb card might be too large for her camera. Well it won't format in the S3 either. I sent it back to the ebayer (pretty nice seller) and she once again exchanged it, but with some "no namer" brand that looks like a scandisk card. I got it today and it still will not format in either camera. I have a 128k, and numerous smaller sd cards that format fine in both cameras, so I doubt it's a problem with the camera's,, Any thoughts? Is the 2gb too big for either camera (the manual says nothing about maximum size sd cards). Has anyone ever run into this? thanks in advance.

    Bill Crocker, Sep 24, 2006