    Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?

    (Hope this isn't a FAQ)

    TJ
    Triple Jumper, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Triple Jumper

    Guest

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:33:44 +0100, Triple Jumper <> wrote:

    > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of sea
    > water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight gadget for
    > backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
    >
    > After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone have
    > any experience of this product?
    >
    > Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?

    Check the word Vosonic on Google.
    , Sep 6, 2006

  3. Triple Jumper wrote:
    > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
    > sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
    > gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
    >
    > After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone
    > have any experience of this product?
    >
    > Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
    >
    > (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
    >
    > TJ

    I would recommend one of the Epson range - P-2000, P-4000, P-4500

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 6, 2006
  4. "Triple Jumper" <> wrote in message
    > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of sea
    > water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight gadget for
    > backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
    >
    > After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone have
    > any experience of this product?
    >
    > Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
    >
    > (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
    >
    > TJ

    On 1 September jack mcadam started a thread called "portable digital
    storage" discussing just this subject.

    Gerrit
    Gerrit 't Hart, Sep 6, 2006
  5. I have the Wolverine 40 GB FlashPac. (www.wolverinedata.com) I have used it
    on a vacation trip to Alaska's interior and for several weddings to back up
    memory cards. What was particularly nice was that I was able to backup
    other peoples memory cards (SD, CF, SM, MS, MicroDrive etc.) so they could
    continue shooting. It has a built in rechargeable battery and a basic
    information screen LCD screen.

    The only thing I could complain about is the time stamp for each flash card
    save. It creates folders based on the card ex. CF001, CF002 or SD001,
    SD002. The time stamp on each folder is the same 2/1/2002 12:00 AM.,
    probably due to drive firmware. The folders and files copied from the
    memory cards retain their creation date and times. Other than that it is
    light and fits in my camera bag with my extra lenses

    Jim

    news.houston.sbcglobal.news, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Triple Jumper

    Roger Wright Guest

    One of these devices from B&H should meet your needs:

    http://tinyurl.com/nnds4

    Roger Wright

    Roger Wright, Sep 7, 2006
  7. Triple Jumper

    Stewy Guest

    In article <lLKLg.25168$>,
    "Roger Wright" <> wrote:

    > One of these devices from B&H should meet your needs:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/nnds4

    Wow. Neat machine. Have you got one? Does it work well?
    Stewy, Sep 9, 2006
  8. Triple Jumper

    Stewy Guest

    In article <JRzLg.14517$>,
    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    > Triple Jumper wrote:
    > > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
    > > sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
    > > gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
    > >
    > > After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone
    > > have any experience of this product?
    > >
    > > Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
    > >
    > > (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
    > >
    > > TJ

    > I would recommend one of the Epson range - P-2000, P-4000, P-4500
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

    Yeah but $500 is a lot more than the Wolverine at $169. Do you really
    need all those features as it'll be sitting in a drawer most of the time
    (unless you're a pro, of course)
    Stewy, Sep 9, 2006
  9. Triple Jumper

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Triple Jumper <> writes:
    > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
    > sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
    > gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.

    Sea water killed your SD card? Did you make any serious efforts to
    recover it?
    Paul Rubin, Sep 9, 2006
  10. Triple Jumper

    John Turco Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > Triple Jumper <> writes:
    > > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
    > > sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
    > > gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.

    > Sea water killed your SD card? Did you make any serious efforts to
    > recover it?

    Hello, Paul:

    What did you expect him to do...perform pin-to-pin resuscitatation? :-D

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Sep 11, 2006
  11. John Turco wrote:
    > Paul Rubin wrote:
    >> Triple Jumper <> writes:
    >>> Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
    >>> sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
    >>> gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.

    >> Sea water killed your SD card? Did you make any serious efforts to
    >> recover it?

    > Hello, Paul:
    >
    > What did you expect him to do...perform pin-to-pin resuscitatation? :-D
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    :)

    Kroll Ontrack managed to recover the card for me - only about 6 broken
    JPEGS. I won't tell you how much it cost - it makes me sound like
    someone who doesn't care about money. But they had a good reputation
    and they're local.

    TJ
    Triple Jumper, Sep 12, 2006
  12. Triple Jumper

    John Turco Guest

    Triple Jumper wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:
    > > Paul Rubin wrote:
    > >> Sea water killed your SD card? Did you make any serious efforts to
    > >> recover it?

    > > Hello, Paul:
    > >
    > > What did you expect him to do...perform pin-to-pin resuscitatation? :-D
    > >

    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > :)
    >
    > Kroll Ontrack managed to recover the card for me - only about 6 broken
    > JPEGS. I won't tell you how much it cost - it makes me sound like
    > someone who doesn't care about money. But they had a good reputation
    > and they're local.
    >
    > TJ

    Hello, TJ:

    That's great news -- thanks, for sharing it with us!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Sep 17, 2006