SCV Host -- Contradictive Information

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Midnight Moocher, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Midnight Moocher, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Midnight Moocher

    Dave Baker Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:43:01 +0100, "Midnight Moocher"
    <> wrote:

    >Why is it that both Pestcontrol.com and liutilities.com both state SCVhost.exe is a worm
    >http://pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/w/worm_win32_unixon.asp#Overview
    >http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/scvhost/
    >

    >...when Microsoft say it's legit?
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314056

    I don't keep up with who is a troll here & who isn't, but MS is talking about
    sVChost while the other 2 are talking about sCVhost.

    Dave

    The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
    All replies to the group please.

    Dave Baker, Apr 30, 2004

  3. There are *NUMEROUS* infectors that use the name SVCHOST. Either by directly infecting the
    program or the infector adding its own program with that name in another location or being
    installed on Win9x/ME which does NOT use that NT based program. Also many will use a
    variation of that name.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Apr 30, 2004
  4. > I don't keep up with who is a troll here & who isn't, but MS is talking about
    > sVChost while the other 2 are talking about sCVhost.
    >
    > Dave

    I am no troll. Thanks for the reply.
    It was late when I was checking my task manager last night.
    Didn't notice the variation.

    Midnight Moocher, Apr 30, 2004