    Catherine O'Hara and Dave Thomas, Plus Bonus Material including Four
    New Documentaries and the 1999 Aspen Comedy Arts Festival Program, In
    Stores June 8th

    Thomas Bell, Feb 12, 2004

  2. wow, cool.

    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Thomas Bell

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Thomas Bell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1101
    >
    > GROUND-BREAKING COMEDY "SCTV" DEBUTS ON HOME VIDEO FROM SHOUT! FACTORY
    >
    > SCTV NETWORK/90, VOLUME 1
    >
    > 5-Disc Boxed Set Includes Nine 90-Minute Episodes Featuring the Comic
    > Genius of John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin,
    > Catherine O'Hara and Dave Thomas, Plus Bonus Material including Four
    > New Documentaries and the 1999 Aspen Comedy Arts Festival Program, In
    > Stores June 8th

    The $90 list price seems quite high, however, even with the abundance of
    extras.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Thomas Bell

    Arch Stanton Guest

    Man, DVD box sets are making me broke!! :)

    Arch Stanton, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Thomas Bell

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <jqOWb.6580$>, Rich Clark
    <> wrote:

    > "Thomas Bell" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1101
    > >
    > > GROUND-BREAKING COMEDY "SCTV" DEBUTS ON HOME VIDEO FROM SHOUT! FACTORY
    > >
    > > SCTV NETWORK/90, VOLUME 1
    > >
    > > 5-Disc Boxed Set Includes Nine 90-Minute Episodes Featuring the Comic
    > > Genius of John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin,
    > > Catherine O'Hara and Dave Thomas, Plus Bonus Material including Four
    > > New Documentaries and the 1999 Aspen Comedy Arts Festival Program, In
    > > Stores June 8th

    > The $90 list price seems quite high, however, even with the abundance of
    > extras.
    >
    > RichC

    Maybe it's the Canadian price?

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Thomas Bell

    Zimmy Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message news:jqOWb.6580
    > The $90 list price seems quite high, however, even with the abundance of
    > extras.
    >
    > RichC

    That sounds like crazy Sopranos pricing. How come I can buy the 5 disk set
    of the Honeymooners for $33 and they want to charge $90 for their set?

    Hopefully Costco/Sams will discount it heavily.

    I'm in as long as it is less than $60.

    Zimmy, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Thomas Bell

    Rich Clark Guest

    > > The $90 list price seems quite high, however, even with the abundance of
    > > extras.
    > >
    > > RichC
    > >

    > That sounds like crazy Sopranos pricing. How come I can buy the 5 disk

    set
    > of the Honeymooners for $33 and they want to charge $90 for their set?
    >
    > Hopefully Costco/Sams will discount it heavily.
    >
    > I'm in as long as it is less than $60.

    That seems likely -- a 44% discount on release day.

    I'm still puzzled. These are 9 of the 90-minute episodes that aired on NBC,
    apparently. So their actual running time per episode is going to be
    something like 75 minutes.

    Two episodes per disc -- 150 minutes -- makes reasonable sense, the fifth
    disc having the 9th episode plus the extras. But for a set with a total
    running time of less than 12 hours, plus extras -- some of which will be
    musical guests, intro/outro, and other padding -- I can only guess they're
    taking a Paramount/Star Trek approach, assuming that only fans will buy it,
    and fans will pay anything.

    On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if the suggested list price comes
    down by $20 sometime before release. A $70 list with a street price of $45
    on release day would make a lot more sense. It wouldn't be the first time a
    set was initially announced at a too-high price.

    Aside:
    I bought a book not long ago from the bargain table at Borders, called "The
    Second City: Backstage at the World's Greatest Comedy Theater." I paid $5
    for it. In addition to a ton of entertaining text and loads of pictures,
    much of it covering the same ground and written by the same people
    apparently involved in this DVD set, it includes two audio CD's of clips
    from Second City productions over the decades.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Thomas Bell wrote:

    > http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1101
    >
    > GROUND-BREAKING COMEDY "SCTV" DEBUTS ON HOME VIDEO FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

    And Shout! Factory being the new line founded by ex-Rhino founder
    Richard Foos and a few other creative execs no longer working for
    Warner/Rhino--

    Prompting suspicions that maybe there *WAS* a shakeup in the boardrooms
    (as the Warner/Rhino MST3K-box fans are suspecting)...

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Thomas Bell

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    Network 90? Meh. Tell me when the REAL season 1 is released.

    Metlhd3138, Feb 13, 2004
  10. Thomas Bell

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Metlhd3138 wrote:
    > Network 90? Meh. Tell me when the REAL season 1 is released.

    Right. Isn't this set starting with the episodes after Harold Ramis left
    the show and Martin Short was brought in? Still lots of great stuff, but
    the older series from the late 70's was even funnier.

    T.B.

    Thomas Bell, Feb 13, 2004
  11. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:34:47 GMT, in article
    <news:>, Thomas Bell wrote:

    > http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1101
    >
    > GROUND-BREAKING COMEDY "SCTV" DEBUTS ON HOME VIDEO FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

    I really liked that show. When I was in college, it came on right before
    SNL (when it was funny.)

    > SCTV NETWORK/90, VOLUME 1
    > 5-Disc Boxed Set Includes Nine 90-Minute Episodes [...]

    Do I remember incorrectly that there was a 30-minute show, possibly
    produced in Canada, called "Second City Television" that preceded "SCTV"
    from NBC? 1977 was a long time ago but that's what I remember.

    Hamilcar Barca, Feb 13, 2004
  12. Thomas Bell

    DAM Guest

    Metlhd3138 wrote:

    > Network 90? Meh. Tell me when the REAL season 1 is released.

    Me concur.
    dam

    DAM, Feb 13, 2004
  13. Thomas Bell

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Hamilcar Barca" <> wrote in message

    > Do I remember incorrectly that there was a 30-minute show, possibly
    > produced in Canada, called "Second City Television" that preceded "SCTV"
    > from NBC? 1977 was a long time ago but that's what I remember.

    Yes, there were three seasons of the syndicated 30 minute show before the
    NBC version began. Indeed, especially at first, the 90-minute episodes
    recycled a lot of footage from the syndicated show. They'd produce a new
    "wrapper," but the SCTV "programming" itself would basically be segments
    from the original show.

    It will be interesting, therefore, to see what happens when/if the
    syndicated shows are released, since a fair part of that content will have
    already been released in the SCTV/90 sets.

    There are several good sites devoted to SCTV. Here's one with a detailed
    episode guide: http://sctvguide.ca/

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 13, 2004