  1. I've been asked to look at HD's for an upgrade at work. All I know is the
    machine has an SCSI Ultra 160 Adapter. Would a SCSI Ultra320 HD work with
    the U160 Adapter? (maybe at the lower speed)
    porkscratching, Oct 20, 2003

  2. porkscratching

    Stevo Guest

    porkscratching wrote:
    > I've been asked to look at HD's for an upgrade at work. All I know is
    > the machine has an SCSI Ultra 160 Adapter. Would a SCSI Ultra320 HD
    > work with the U160 Adapter? (maybe at the lower speed)

    Tha Adaptec family of U160 and U320 controllers for example, have both 68
    pin and legacy 50 pin connectors so they work with a variety of SCSI
    protocols. Most (if not all - never seen one without) U160/320 drives have
    the 68 pin connector so they are compatible in that way, so the U320 drive
    will work on a U160 adapter, but yes the data transfer rate would be slower
    and the parameters might need some tweaking but in a lot of cases the
    adapters are smart enough to sense the drive/s attached and adjust
    accordingly.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)