SCSI Scanner Transfer to New Machine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -->@@, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. -->@@

    -->@@ Guest

    I have a HP Scanjet5P that has been connected to an old Gateway PII,233mhz
    machine (Win98) that just died - well, it starts up - but I can't seem to
    format the drive or reinstall windows.

    I took the SCSI card out of the PII with the thought of putting it into a
    newer machine (PIV,1.4g, XP). Of course the slots have changed to a
    shorter slot. Is there any adapter I can use to install the card in order
    to use the scanner on this machine? I'm sure I can get another SCSI card
    that fits, but it may not work as well as the card that came with the
    scanner. Any ideas? (Can't afford a new scanner ;)).

    Also, any ideas on how to get the old machine to reinstall Win98? I've got
    the disk in the drive (and a copy of it on the second hard drive) - but it
    doesn't always recognize the CD ROM, and the few times I've thought I've
    been able to format the C drive to be able to install it hangs and displays
    something about being out of memory? (I think it's got 768 RAM, but maybe
    only 512 - still should be enough). The startupdisk I had didn't work.
    What am I missing/forgetting? I know I've done this before, but darned if
    I can remember doing much but putting the Win98 disk in, reformatting the HD
    and reinstalling. I hope to retain the data that is on the second HD.
    Primary just has operating system on it.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Sara

    -->@@, Jun 27, 2003

  2. -->@@

    ooyah Guest

    "-->@@<--" <> wrote in message
    > I have a HP Scanjet5P that has been connected to an old Gateway PII,233mhz
    > machine (Win98) that just died - well, it starts up - but I can't seem to
    > format the drive or reinstall windows.
    >
    > I took the SCSI card out of the PII with the thought of putting it into a
    > newer machine (PIV,1.4g, XP). Of course the slots have changed to a
    > shorter slot. Is there any adapter I can use to install the card in order
    > to use the scanner on this machine? I'm sure I can get another SCSI card
    > that fits, but it may not work as well as the card that came with the
    > scanner. Any ideas? (Can't afford a new scanner ;)).
    >
    > Also, any ideas on how to get the old machine to reinstall Win98? I've

    got
    > the disk in the drive (and a copy of it on the second hard drive) - but it
    > doesn't always recognize the CD ROM, and the few times I've thought I've
    > been able to format the C drive to be able to install it hangs and

    displays
    > something about being out of memory? (I think it's got 768 RAM, but maybe
    > only 512 - still should be enough). The startupdisk I had didn't work.
    > What am I missing/forgetting? I know I've done this before, but darned

    if
    > I can remember doing much but putting the Win98 disk in, reformatting the

    HD
    > and reinstalling. I hope to retain the data that is on the second HD.
    > Primary just has operating system on it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    > Sara

    > -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

    hello

    re: getting your scanner working, you need a PCI to ISA bridge card :-

    http://www.costronic.com.tw/Ev72p.htm

    regards
    ooyah, Jun 27, 2003

  3. -->@@

    MJP Guest

    > I have a HP Scanjet5P that has been connected to an old Gateway PII,233mhz
    > machine (Win98) that just died - well, it starts up - but I can't seem to
    > format the drive or reinstall windows.
    >
    > I took the SCSI card out of the PII with the thought of putting it into a
    > newer machine (PIV,1.4g, XP). Of course the slots have changed to a
    > shorter slot. Is there any adapter I can use to install the card in order
    > to use the scanner on this machine? I'm sure I can get another SCSI card
    > that fits, but it may not work as well as the card that came with the
    > scanner. Any ideas? (Can't afford a new scanner ;)).

    > Thanks in advance for any help!

    Go get a cheap pci card on Ebay.Non bootable cards can be had very cheaply.

    MJP

    ---
    MJP, Jun 27, 2003
  4. -->@@

    philo Guest

    "-->@@<--" <> wrote in message
    > I have a HP Scanjet5P that has been connected to an old Gateway PII,233mhz
    > machine (Win98) that just died - well, it starts up - but I can't seem to
    > format the drive or reinstall windows.
    >
    > I took the SCSI card out of the PII with the thought of putting it into a
    > newer machine (PIV,1.4g, XP). Of course the slots have changed to a
    > shorter slot. Is there any adapter I can use to install the card in order
    > to use the scanner on this machine? I'm sure I can get another SCSI card
    > that fits, but it may not work as well as the card that came with the
    > scanner. Any ideas? (Can't afford a new scanner ;)).

    pci scsi cards are readily avail
    and if anything would work better than an ISA type
    btw: check with the mfg to see if it can be used on a parallel port
    using scsi emulation

    > Also, any ideas on how to get the old machine to reinstall Win98? I've

    got
    > the disk in the drive (and a copy of it on the second hard drive) - but it
    > doesn't always recognize the CD ROM, and the few times I've thought I've
    > been able to format the C drive to be able to install it hangs and

    displays
    > something about being out of memory? (I think it's got 768 RAM, but maybe
    > only 512 - still should be enough). The startupdisk I had didn't work.
    > What am I missing/forgetting? I know I've done this before, but darned

    if
    > I can remember doing much but putting the Win98 disk in, reformatting the

    HD
    > and reinstalling. I hope to retain the data that is on the second HD.
    > Primary just has operating system on it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    > Sara

    you may need a cd support bootdisk
    which you can get from www.bootdisk.com
    if you can get it to recognize your cd
    all you need do is format the the drive and reinstall

    note: win98 will run fin with 512megs of ram but if you go over
    that amount, there can be problems unless a vcache entry
    is made ( should come up on a google search for vcache setting win98 )
    philo, Jun 27, 2003
  5. -->@@

    SgtMinor Guest

    You may get an 'out of memory' message on a Win98 machine that has more
    than 512 Megs of memory installed:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q253912

    Re the eBay suggestion, check it out: http://tinyurl.com/fgia

    SgtMinor, Jun 27, 2003