    Is it possible to get an adaptor from 68 pin to 50 pin so it will work.
    If so does this reduce the speed.

    Thank for any help.
    Jed, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Jed

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:23:39 +0100, Jed wrote:

    >Can anyone help please.
    >
    >I've been given a SCSI seagate hard disk (Cheetah) ST318404lC LVD/SE
    >I don't know a great deal on this interface and i'm a bit confused on
    >how to connect it to my pc. The drive doesn't have a power connector

    Always a good place to start, the manufacturer
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st318404lc.html
    links to install guide / product manual.

    Guide has rear view ST-318404LC only
    80 pin I/O and DC Power.

    It's 80 pins not 68.
    A good range of cards can be found at www.adaptec.com

    >I believe that the drive is 68 pin, but the scsi card i've also been
    >given is 50 pin, with a 50 pin cable.

    You didn't mention the card type/model.

    >Is it possible to get an adaptor from 68 pin to 50 pin so it will work.
    >If so does this reduce the speed.

    Several adapters exist, see lists like
    http://www.baber.com/baber/products/scsi_converters.htm

    Me
    why?, Sep 9, 2004

  3. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > >Can anyone help please.
    > >
    > >I've been given a SCSI seagate hard disk (Cheetah) ST318404lC LVD/SE
    > >I don't know a great deal on this interface and i'm a bit confused on
    > >how to connect it to my pc. The drive doesn't have a power connector

    > Always a good place to start, the manufacturer
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st318404lc.html
    > links to install guide / product manual.
    >
    > Guide has rear view ST-318404LC only
    > 80 pin I/O and DC Power.
    >
    > It's 80 pins not 68.
    > A good range of cards can be found at www.adaptec.com
    >
    > >I believe that the drive is 68 pin, but the scsi card i've also been
    > >given is 50 pin, with a 50 pin cable.

    > You didn't mention the card type/model.
    >
    > >Is it possible to get an adaptor from 68 pin to 50 pin so it will work.
    > >If so does this reduce the speed.

    > Several adapters exist, see lists like
    > http://www.baber.com/baber/products/scsi_converters.htm

    You will cetainly need an adapter of some description as the best you wil
    get from any controller card is 68-pins. 80 pin is generally (but not
    always) used for hot swap type arrangements. The ones I have seen at one
    side have 68 pin input and a four pin power connector (like you see in a PC
    and the other side 80 pins for disk.

    If you do manage to find a 50-pin version then the speed will be limited by
    the controller. If you use a wide SCSI (68-pin) controller of the disk
    specification or better, the speed will be limited by the disk.

    Hope this is remotely clear.

    Dave
    dave.mattinson, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Jed wrote:

    > Can anyone help please.
    >
    > I've been given a SCSI seagate hard disk (Cheetah) ST318404lC LVD/SE
    > I don't know a great deal on this interface and i'm a bit confused on
    > how to connect it to my pc. The drive doesn't have a power connector
    >
    > I believe that the drive is 68 pin, but the scsi card i've also been
    > given is 50 pin, with a 50 pin cable. Is it possible to get an
    > adaptor from 68 pin to 50 pin so it will work. If so does this reduce
    > the speed.

    If memory serves, what you have there is a heavy-duty server-type
    drive... usually used for hot-swapping.

    Can you get an adapter to work with your current setup? Technically,
    yeah. That type of drive gets it's power through the "data connection"
    (its an all purpose connector).

    Depending on your controller, you might not even be able to work it
    correctly. I'd suggest checking with your SCSI Controller manufacturer
    first and see what they recommend. (No sense buying more hardware if you
    can't use the drive yourself.)

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Sep 12, 2004