    I don't get this very well. Why would we want to disable a
    SCSI controller BIOS? If we disable it, wouldn't the system
    fail to boot because it can't found the SCSI drive?

    dialedup, May 12, 2006

  2. dialedup

    kpg Guest

    As dialedup once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    > Many exam books say that SCSI() would be used inside the
    > file boot.ini if the boot-up drive is on a SCIS controller
    > with its BIOS disabled. Otherwise, multi() is used for IDE
    > or SCSI with its BIOS enabled.
    >
    > I don't get this very well. Why would we want to disable a
    > SCSI controller BIOS? If we disable it, wouldn't the system
    > fail to boot because it can't found the SCSI drive?

    Research, man, research,

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q102873

    kpg, May 12, 2006

  3. dialedup wrote:
    > Many exam books say that SCSI() would be used inside the
    > file boot.ini if the boot-up drive is on a SCIS controller
    > with its BIOS disabled. Otherwise, multi() is used for IDE
    > or SCSI with its BIOS enabled.

    Yep!

    > I don't get this very well. Why would we want to disable a
    > SCSI controller BIOS? If we disable it, wouldn't the system
    > fail to boot because it can't found the SCSI drive?

    No, not always.

    There's things in the books that don't always make real-world sense.
    Software raid for example, on a real server such a thing would be
    extremely rare.

    Jeroen
    http://wijnands.blogspot.com

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 12, 2006