    Anyone clued up with SCSI drives.

    Thanks.

    JIMI d

    Jimi, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Jimi

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:33:22 +0100, Jimi wrote:

    >Can anyone help me out here please.
    >
    >I've never had anything to do with SCSI drives before and
    >now i've got one i'm totally lost.
    >I'm wanting to install a SCSI hard drive seagate cheetah
    >(ST336607lc) also has markings Ultra u320 on the drive.
    >I don't have a clue what Adaptor card to buy or what pin
    >cable it needs, another thing is that it doesn't appear to
    >have a power connector on the drive, just the interface bit.

    (Oops no power, maybe it's explained in) the manual?
    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,540,00.html

    See the last bit of 9.6.2 where it says -
    A single drive connected via a cable to a host 80-pin I/O connector is
    not recommended.

    Section / Subject / Page

    9.6 Physical interface . . . . . . . . . .55
    9.6.1 DC cable and connector . . . . . . .56
    9.6.2 SCSI interface physical description . . . . . . . . . .58
    9.6.3 SCSI interface cable requirements . . . . . . . . . . .59
    9.8 Terminator requirements . . . . . . . . . .70

    Figure 23. LC model drive physical interface (80-pin J1 SCSI I/O
    connector)

    9.6.2 SCSI interface physical description
    Cheetah 10K.6 SCSI drives support the physical interface requirements of
    the Ultra320 SCSI Parallel Interface-
    4 (SPI-4), and operate compatibly at the interface with devices that
    support earlier SCSI-2 and SCSI-3
    standards. It should be noted that this is only true if the systems
    engineering has been correctly done, and if
    earlier SCSI-2 and SCSI-3 devices respond in an acceptable manner (per
    applicable SCSI Standards) to reject
    newer Ultra320 protocol extensions that they don’t support.

    <snipped>

    LC model drives plug into PCBA or bulkhead connectors in the host. They
    may be connected in a daisy chain
    by the host backplane wiring or PCBA circuit runs that have adequate DC
    current carrying capacity to support
    the number of drives plugged into the PCBA or bulkhead connectors. A
    single 80-pin I/O connector cable cannot
    support the DC current needs of several drives, so no daisy chain cables
    beyond the bulkhead connectors
    should be used.
    A single drive connected via a cable to a host 80-pin I/O connector is
    not recommended.

    See the Install guide -

    What you need
    • Screwdriver and four 6-32 UNC drive mounting screws
    • Forced-air ventilation to provide adequate drive cooling
    • An unused drive power connector (not applicable to LC models)
    To operate at LVD transfer rates, you may also need an LVD-capable SCSI
    host adapter, LVD I/O cable and active negation external terminator.

    6. Mount the drive in the host system and connect cables
    Note. LC drives are designed to be attached to a carrier or tray and
    inserted into the host system without I/O or power cables.

    Similar question asked a while ago in 24HSHD.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=#link10
    or shorter http://makeashorterlink.com/?O24B41979

    >Anyone clued up with SCSI drives.

    I always used Adaptec controllers www.adaptec.com at the last place I
    worked.

    Iwill also do controllers.
    http://www.iwillusa.com/

    Not forgetting a quick http://groups.google.com search finds this
    newsgroup - comp.periphs.scsi

    Me

    why?, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Jimi wrote:

    > Can anyone help me out here please.
    >
    > I've never had anything to do with SCSI drives before and
    > now i've got one i'm totally lost.
    > I'm wanting to install a SCSI hard drive seagate cheetah
    > (ST336607lc) also has markings Ultra u320 on the drive.
    >
    > I don't have a clue what Adaptor card to buy or what pin
    > cable it needs, another thing is that it doesn't appear to
    > have a power connector on the drive, just the interface bit.
    >
    > Anyone clued up with SCSI drives.

    The product manual from Seagate for model "ST336607lc" shows that to be
    an LVL drive and should have a power connector on the back.

    You'll need a 68-pin SCSI Controller card to operate this guy... but
    considering you have no experience w SCSI yet, I would highly suggest
    not learning on this one due to the cost(s) if you blow something up.
    (HEY! It still happens)

    If you ARE intent on working with it, My server admin recommends TekRam
    SCSI controller cards.

    Good luck.
    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Jimi

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:11:40 -0400, BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ
    wrote:

    >Jimi wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone help me out here please.
    >>
    >> I've never had anything to do with SCSI drives before and
    >> now i've got one i'm totally lost.
    >> I'm wanting to install a SCSI hard drive seagate cheetah
    >> (ST336607lc) also has markings Ultra u320 on the drive.
    >>
    >> I don't have a clue what Adaptor card to buy or what pin
    >> cable it needs, another thing is that it doesn't appear to
    >> have a power connector on the drive, just the interface bit.
    >>
    >> Anyone clued up with SCSI drives.

    >The product manual from Seagate for model "ST336607lc" shows that to be
    >an LVL drive and should have a power connector on the back.

    The OP already said it didn't have power connectors, just the interface.

    Isn't that LVD? However the LW/LC are both SE LVD.

    The power connector is on the LW model not the LC.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/100195486a.pdf
    pg 49 of 96

    68 Pin SCSI I/O Connector J1
    J1-DC Power
    Figure 19. J5 jumper header (on LW models only)

    >You'll need a 68-pin SCSI Controller card to operate this guy... but

    The LC is an 80 pin SCA connector, for connections to backplanes.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 10, 2004