SCSI controller and Vista x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by roman modic, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. roman modic

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    I would like to connect my Hitachi Ultrastar 36 GB disk to my Vista x64
    computer.
    I have an old "Initio 9100" SCSI controller which AFAIK is not supported.

    At our local computer shop I can order one of the following Adaptec-s:
    (a) 2010S SCSI RAID
    (b) 29160N OEM
    (c) 29320LPE OEM PCIe

    It seems that only (c) is supported with drivers from Adaptec:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downlo...d=ASC-29320LPE&dn=Adaptect SCSI Card 29320LPE
    What about (a) and (b)? Are the drivers for them built in Vista x64 or
    available
    via Windows/Microsoft Update? Is there a list of SCSI controllers supported
    in Vista x64?

    Also the prices for (a), (b) and (c) are 200, 159 and 183 EUR, respectively.
    Are there any cheaper SCSI controllers available that are Vista x64
    compatible?

    Thanks, Roman

    roman modic, Nov 7, 2008

  2. While I have no experience with SCSI drives and controllers it seems to me
    that if you are willing to spend that much money to get a 36Gb drive running
    presumably as a fast boot drive a better option might be to buy a new
    Western Digital 10K rpm Raptor Drive with a capacity of either 150 or 300GB.
    I am not entirely sure of the cost associated with this as I am in Australia
    not Europe but over here the comparitive cost is $300 for the 29320LPE, $370
    for the 29160N and $480 for WD3000HLFS 300GB VelociRaptor Hard Drive.

    Review of VelociRaptor
    http://hothardware.com/Articles/Western_Digital_Velociraptor_300GB/

    Robert McMillan, Nov 8, 2008

  3. Forgot to mention WD3000HLFS 300GB VelociRaptor Hard Drive is SATA2.

    Robert McMillan, Nov 8, 2008
  4. I'd be surprised if the 29160 didn't have drivers, but if Adaptec is only
    listing drivers for option (c), then go with that. Though that's a fair
    amount of $$ to get your 36 gb drive connected. I'd be more inclined to look
    at moving to SAS, instead.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2008
  5. roman modic

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'd be surprised if the 29160 didn't have drivers, but if Adaptec is only
    > listing drivers for option (c), then go with that. Though that's a fair
    > amount of $$ to get your 36 gb drive connected. I'd be more inclined to look
    > at moving to SAS, instead.

    It seems that 29160 family has built in support:
    http://ask.adaptec.com/scripts/adaptec_tic.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14790
    Unfortunately, family 2940 does not :(
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/scsi/windows/aic78xx_aic78u2_vista_x86_v605456_exe.htm

    BTW, is there a list of all SCSI controllers that are natively supported in Vista x64 ?

    Regards, Roman

    roman modic, Nov 8, 2008
  6. I'd be amazed if the 2940 was supported. That's a truely ancient card. I was
    running 2940's in the early 90's.

    I don't know of such a list. Doesn't mean there isn't one, just I don't know
    where it is or how to generate it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2008
  7. When I started out on the XP Public Beta I bought a cheapish 2010a ( as I
    remember?) since there was no 64bit drivers for my Asrock MB at the time -
    cannot say about the SCSI, though, but it sounds as there could be a family
    relation.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 9, 2008
  8. roman modic

    Jim Guest

    > BTW, is there a list of all SCSI controllers that are natively supported in Vista x64 ?

    Roman,

    I have a Tyan K8WE (S2895) motherboard with an onboard with two
    onboard LSI 320 SCSI controllers. I worried for a long time that I
    could not install Vista 64-bit because I could not find the drivers
    for the LSI chips. I was pleasantly surprised to find them
    automatically installed during the Windows Update part of the Vista 64-
    bit install. My guess is that various Adaptec controllers,
    particularly the newer ones, are even *more* likely to be supported.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 9, 2008