  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    What is the difference between SCSI and Parallel port, I mean physically?

    Thomas, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thomas <> wrote

    > What is the difference between SCSI and Parallel port, I mean physically?

    Gets surprisingly complicated.

    The original printer port and SCSI were the Centronix connector,
    looks a bit like looking into jaws with teeth down each side.

    That didnt get used on the PC at the PC end for the parallel port,
    just because it wouldnt fit in the metal backpanel plate on cards,
    so the 25 pin serial connector was used instead, opposite sex.

    Apple did the same thing with SCSI and that was seen on the PC too.

    Its got a lot more complicated than that now with the
    lastest SCSIs having quite different connectors now.

    Rod Speed, Sep 4, 2005

  3. Thomas

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:53:12 -0400, Thomas wrote:

    > What is the difference between SCSI and Parallel port, I mean physically?

    parallel ports
    http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=parallel port&hl=en&btnG=Search Images

    scsi ports
    http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=scsi port&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

    This isnt definitive, but you get the hang of it

    HTH

    Shane, Sep 4, 2005
  4. Thomas

    Damian Guest

    Parallel port is a female 25 pin port as u can c from the back of a PC. SCSI
    is generally female from PC and the physical look can b different from
    version to version. Hav a look below. Also SCSI is a proprietry bus rather
    than a port/interface, tho it's referred and used as an interface mostly.

    a.. SCSI-1: Uses an 8-bit bus, and supports data rates of 4 MBps
    b.. SCSI-2: Same as SCSI-1, but uses a 50-pin connector instead of a
    25-pin connector, and supports multiple devices. This is what most people
    mean when they refer to plain SCSI.
    c.. Wide SCSI: Uses a wider cable (168 cable lines to 68 pins) to support
    16-bit transfers.
    d.. Fast SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus, but doubles the clock rate to support
    data rates of 10 MBps.
    e.. Fast Wide SCSI: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 20 MBps.
    f.. Ultra SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus, and supports data rates of 20 MBps.
    g.. SCSI-3: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 40 MBps. Also
    called Ultra Wide SCSI.
    h.. Ultra2 SCSI: Uses an 8-bit bus and supports data rates of 40 MBps.
    i.. Wide Ultra2 SCSI: Uses a 16-bit bus and supports data rates of 80
    MBps.

    Damian, Sep 5, 2005
  5. On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, at 20:00:07 [GMT +1000] (20:00:07 Monday, 5 September
    2005 where I live) "Damian" wrote:

    > i.. Wide Ultra2 SCSI:

    ...snip

    How about Ultra Wide Fast Scusi3 Extra Pins? ;-)

    --
    Boycott shampoo!!! Demand True poo!

    John Phillips, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Thomas

    Damian Guest

    wouldn't go that far, it gets really complicated. :)

    Damian, Sep 5, 2005