    disabling it, and it did not help. Also, I use AdAware SE Personal at
    least once a day. Defragging also doesn't help.

    All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    SlowScrolling, Jul 17, 2006

  2. SlowScrolling

    Guest

    SlowScrolling <> wrote:

    |>In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
    |>folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
    |>list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
    |>once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
    |>similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.
    |>
    |>My system is a powerful Dell Dimension 8400, XP Pro, 3.4 GHz, 2 GB
    |>RAM, with fast Western Digital hard drives, and never had even a hint
    |>of this problem until a few days ago. However, the number of files in
    |>my various folders has not increased significantly, and they were
    |>scrolling fine a week ago; now they are not. During this time, I've
    |>installed some new programs, including Nero 7 Ultra, Adobe Audition
    |>2.0, some a/v codecs, plus McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 (had
    |>already been running McAfee, which came on my computer, for a year).
    |>
    |>This is not a smooth-scrolling problem. Smooth-scrolling has always
    |>been enabled on my system without any problem, and I have tried
    |>disabling it, and it did not help. Also, I use AdAware SE Personal at
    |>least once a day. Defragging also doesn't help.
    |>
    |>All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 -u shimgvw.dll <enter>

    See if that helps, it will disable sampling each file, which will hang
    up explorer on an AVI file.

    You lose things like thumbnails and such but that's what Ifranview is
    for http://www.irfanview.com/ to view your pix's

    To re register the dll
    Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll <enter>

    , Jul 17, 2006

  3. On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:32:00 -0700, wrote:

    > SlowScrolling <> wrote:
    >
    >|>In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
    >|>folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
    >|>list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
    >|>once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
    >|>similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.
    >|>
    >|>My system is a powerful Dell Dimension 8400, XP Pro, 3.4 GHz, 2 GB
    >|>RAM, with fast Western Digital hard drives, and never had even a hint
    >|>of this problem until a few days ago. However, the number of files in
    >|>my various folders has not increased significantly, and they were
    >|>scrolling fine a week ago; now they are not. During this time, I've
    >|>installed some new programs, including Nero 7 Ultra, Adobe Audition
    >|>2.0, some a/v codecs, plus McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 (had
    >|>already been running McAfee, which came on my computer, for a year).
    >|>
    >|>This is not a smooth-scrolling problem. Smooth-scrolling has always
    >|>been enabled on my system without any problem, and I have tried
    >|>disabling it, and it did not help. Also, I use AdAware SE Personal at
    >|>least once a day. Defragging also doesn't help.
    >|>
    >|>All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    >

    >Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 -u shimgvw.dll <enter>
    >
    >See if that helps, it will disable sampling each file, which will hang
    >up explorer on an AVI file.
    >
    >You lose things like thumbnails and such but that's what Ifranview is
    >for http://www.irfanview.com/ to view your pix's
    >
    >To re register the dll
    >Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll <enter>

    Pennywise, I just tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't
    work. No change was noticed when attempting to scroll through a folder
    with many files.

    Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
    booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
    started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
    exactly what programs are using how much RAM?

    I'd like to try Mark's suggestion to "turn off" programs to try and
    find if one is the culprit, but don't know how to "turn off" a program
    short of uninstalling it. Since the culprit program, if there is one,
    seems to be using up the RAM from the very beginning after rebooting,
    perhaps that program is being auto-started. I'm not clear on how to
    stop a program from auto-starting (and then to restore it if it's not
    the prob), but am guessing that may be what Mark means by "turning
    off" a program.

    Thanks for your suggestion. All are greatly appreciated.
    SlowScrolling, Jul 18, 2006
  4. SlowScrolling

    Guest

    SlowScrolling <> wrote:

    |>>Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 -u shimgvw.dll <enter>
    |>>
    |>>See if that helps, it will disable sampling each file, which will hang
    |>>up explorer on an AVI file.
    |>>
    |>>You lose things like thumbnails and such but that's what Ifranview is
    |>>for http://www.irfanview.com/ to view your pix's
    |>>
    |>>To re register the dll
    |>>Start | Run <type in> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll <enter>
    |>
    |>Pennywise, I just tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't
    |>work. No change was noticed when attempting to scroll through a folder
    |>with many files.
    |>
    |>Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
    |>booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
    |>started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
    |>exactly what programs are using how much RAM?
    |>
    |>I'd like to try Mark's suggestion to "turn off" programs to try and
    |>find if one is the culprit, but don't know how to "turn off" a program
    |>short of uninstalling it. Since the culprit program, if there is one,
    |>seems to be using up the RAM from the very beginning after rebooting,
    |>perhaps that program is being auto-started. I'm not clear on how to
    |>stop a program from auto-starting (and then to restore it if it's not
    |>the prob), but am guessing that may be what Mark means by "turning
    |>off" a program.

    One I use is Process Explorer

    download and run Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    Stick it in your start up menu, it has a history, double click on the
    top right while it shows ram usage as a whole individual programs can
    be seen by double clicking on the process and reading it's performance
    graph; or with taskmanager.
    also
    Start | Run <type in> CMD /K tasklist > task & notepad task <enter>
    Works if you want a list

    , Jul 18, 2006
  5. SlowScrolling

    Guest

    wrote:

    > One I use is Process Explorer
    >
    > download and run Process Explorer
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    It's a nice program... but doesn't really help the user with turning
    off applications from starting with windows.

    > also
    > Start | Run <type in> CMD /K tasklist > task & notepad task <enter>
    > Works if you want a list

    Programs intent on taskmgr stealth will not be visible with option B
    above.

    --
    Dustin
    http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
  6. SlowScrolling

    Guest

    wrote:

    |> wrote:
    |>
    |>> One I use is Process Explorer
    |>>
    |>> download and run Process Explorer
    |>> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    |>
    |>It's a nice program... but doesn't really help the user with turning
    |>off applications from starting with windows.

    your snipage show'd a change in stroke
    "Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
    booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
    started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
    exactly what programs are using how much RAM?"

    |>> also
    |>> Start | Run <type in> CMD /K tasklist > task & notepad task <enter>
    |>> Works if you want a list
    |>
    |>Programs intent on taskmgr stealth will not be visible with option B
    |>above.

    rootkits excempt'd.

    --
    http://www.mrandmrswheatley.co.uk/cunningstunt.html
    , Jul 18, 2006
  7. SlowScrolling

    Guest

    wrote:

    > |>It's a nice program... but doesn't really help the user with turning
    > |>off applications from starting with windows.
    >
    > your snipage show'd a change in stroke
    > "Is there any way to monitor how much RAM has been used up upon first
    > booting the computer after all the auto-start programs have been
    > started? Might be interesting. And, is there any way to monitor
    > exactly what programs are using how much RAM?"

    Hmm, I don't think I said it wouldn't do those things, snippage aside.
    Really tho, if your hinting that I'm doing something wrong, just come
    out and say it. What I said was it's a poor choice for controlling
    applications which startup with windows, that's all.

    > |>Programs intent on taskmgr stealth will not be visible with option B
    > |>above.
    >
    > rootkits excempt'd.

    Rootkits, most forms of adware, spyware and trojans, you meant.
    Rootkits is but one which hides from taskmanager.

    OTH, I'm still waiting for you to explain how BugHunter is a
    trojan....?

    --
    Dustin
    Author of BugHunter malware removal tool
  8. SlowScrolling

    Guest

    SlowScrolling wrote:
    > In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
    > folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
    > list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
    > once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
    > similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.

    Which view type are you using?
    under view, is it thumbnails or something? Try setting it to details
    and tell us what happens.
    , Jul 18, 2006
  9. On 18 Jul 2006 09:49:07 -0700, wrote:

    >SlowScrolling wrote:
    >> In the last few days I have had trouble scrolling through large file
    >> folders on my various hard drives. As you drag the slider the file
    >> list scrolling stalls and then a few seconds later catches up all at
    >> once. This problem is not limited to one hard drive, but occurs
    >> similarly on all my hard drives in folders that contain many files.

    >Which view type are you using?
    >under view, is it thumbnails or something?

    Am using "List" as my view type.

    Note that the first hang-up is brief, lasting a couple of seconds
    only, whether viewing in List or Details. However, subsequent attempts
    to drag the scrolling slider do not un-hang for significantly longer,
    aprox 18 seconds, and then Explorer.exe CPU usage of about 50% ends
    after about 30 more secs after the scroll slider un-hangs.

    BTW, using ProcessExplorer, it looks like the only thing going on when
    the hang-up occurs in List view is that the CPU usage spikes
    momentarily, then stays elevated but less so until about 45 seconds
    after the hang-up ends.

    Explorer.exe seems to be causing the usage, spiking from nothing or
    ..77 up to 75 - 95% momentarily, then settling down to about 50 until
    about 45 seconds *after* the hang-up ends.

    >Try setting it to details and tell us what happens.

    Changing it to Details reduces the hang-up time. However, each
    subsequent scroll attempt hangs-up longer than the preceding attempt.
    The cumulative effect is still present.
    SlowScrolling, Jul 18, 2006
  10. Re: Scrolling through large folders hangs up & is jerky - Solved! was Nero 7 Ultra

    I just solved the problem by completely uninstalling Nero 7 Ultra.
    Only disabling Nero Scout was not enough. But uninstalling N7U
    completely now has the scroll bar in my large folders dragging and
    scrolling soooo nicely and smoothly again!... I knew it could be
    restored, because as originally stated, the problem only showed up a
    few days ago, without a significant change in the number of files. -
    just those darn Nero files... ;)

    Looks like Nero is indeed the resource hog that we've all read/heard
    about...

    Thanks for everyone's help - very much. Am glad to have finally found
    the problem.
    SlowScrolling, Jul 19, 2006
  11. SlowScrolling

    Guest

    I would guess (as others have done) that there is some sort of background
    app running; Adobe would be my guess. Check the Services, look for Adobe
    Active File Monitor, disable it. Check all startups (I like Startup
    control panel, by Mark Lin), disable them one-by-one.

    Do you perhaps have a "folder size" add-on running, either as a service or
    a background task? They can cause these kinds of hic-ups.

    And of course, Mcafee is most definatley slowing things, as any full-time
    virus montior will, perhaps the new version you're now using is just more
    "thourough" than the last. [as an example: the newest Zone Alarm (65) is
    WAY slower at boot-up than the last version (61), due to a new
    architecture. That's progress...]

    Also, you might want to put explorer into multi-thread "mode", w/ these
    reg tweaks:

    --------cut-----
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001
    "SeparateProcess"=dword:00000001
    ;; this is for WINDOWS explorer (suposedly)
    "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"

    ;; this is for INTERNET explorer (suposedly)
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
    "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"

    If you have hyperthreading or a dual-core these should help. note
    taskmanager will now show multiple instances of explorer, that's to be
    expected.

    good luck and let us know, it's got to be something...
    , Jul 19, 2006
  12. Thanks for your, and all, suggestions.

    The prob was Nero 7 Ultra. Upon completely uninstalling it, all probs
    vanished!... :)

    SlowScrolling, Jul 19, 2006