    man please?
    I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, May 14, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jos1r8$52l$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > The horizontal scrollbar often disappears if the size is 100% (down by the
    > clock.)
    > If I change to 125% or 150% it comes back.
    > It has just started doing this.
    >
    > I've tried Tools, View, Help etc. I've tried Google but that's all technical
    > stuff.
    >
    > Windows XP, Outlook Express
    >
    > Is there anything simple to click to fix it, or is it a job for the computer
    > man please?
    > I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.
    >
    > Geopelia

    *What* is the horizontal scrollbar *on* ??? (What program or part of
    Windows are you asking about)?

    It is normal behaviour for a scrollbar to dissapear if it is not
    required (no scrolling to be done).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, May 15, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jos1r8$52l$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> The horizontal scrollbar often disappears if the size is 100% (down by
    >> the
    >> clock.)
    >> If I change to 125% or 150% it comes back.
    >> It has just started doing this.
    >>
    >> I've tried Tools, View, Help etc. I've tried Google but that's all
    >> technical
    >> stuff.
    >>
    >> Windows XP, Outlook Express
    >>
    >> Is there anything simple to click to fix it, or is it a job for the
    >> computer
    >> man please?
    >> I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > *What* is the horizontal scrollbar *on* ??? (What program or part of
    > Windows are you asking about)?
    >
    > It is normal behaviour for a scrollbar to dissapear if it is not
    > required (no scrolling to be done).

    It's down at the bottom of the page, when I look up websites on Google.
    It used to be always there.

    I need to move the page from side to side to read it all, with some sites.
    I can go on to 125% and 150% to get the scrollbar back, but it used to be
    there at 100%
    The other scrollbar is still there to move it up and down.
    Geopelia, May 15, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <josqcr$u9t$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <jos1r8$52l$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> The horizontal scrollbar often disappears if the size is 100% (down by
    > >> the
    > >> clock.)
    > >> If I change to 125% or 150% it comes back.
    > >> It has just started doing this.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried Tools, View, Help etc. I've tried Google but that's all
    > >> technical
    > >> stuff.
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP, Outlook Express
    > >>
    > >> Is there anything simple to click to fix it, or is it a job for the
    > >> computer
    > >> man please?
    > >> I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.
    > >>
    > >> Geopelia

    > > *What* is the horizontal scrollbar *on* ??? (What program or part of
    > > Windows are you asking about)?
    > >
    > > It is normal behaviour for a scrollbar to dissapear if it is not
    > > required (no scrolling to be done).

    > It's down at the bottom of the page, when I look up websites on Google.
    > It used to be always there.
    >
    > I need to move the page from side to side to read it all, with some sites.
    > I can go on to 125% and 150% to get the scrollbar back, but it used to be
    > there at 100%
    > The other scrollbar is still there to move it up and down.

    So are we talking Internet Explorer, or Firefox or Google Chrome - a web
    browser?

    If it "fits" - you won't get a scrollbar - why would you? (it is not
    necessary and has no purpose - if it fits).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, May 15, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <josqcr$u9t$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <jos1r8$52l$>, , Geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > *What* is the horizontal scrollbar *on* ??? (What program or part of
    >> > Windows are you asking about)?
    >> >
    >> > It is normal behaviour for a scrollbar to dissapear if it is not
    >> > required (no scrolling to be done).

    >> It's down at the bottom of the page, when I look up websites on Google.
    >> It used to be always there.
    >>
    >> I need to move the page from side to side to read it all, with some
    >> sites.
    >> I can go on to 125% and 150% to get the scrollbar back, but it used to be
    >> there at 100%
    >> The other scrollbar is still there to move it up and down.

    > So are we talking Internet Explorer, or Firefox or Google Chrome - a web
    > browser?
    >
    > If it "fits" - you won't get a scrollbar - why would you? (it is not
    > necessary and has no purpose - if it fits).

    Internet Explorer. I need it because some parts are outside the screen, but
    I can get them
    when the scrollbar appears at 125%, so it doesn't really matter.

    I thought there might be something I could just click to get the scrollbar
    back, but I couldn't find anything.

    Why would it disappear after being there for ten years? This computer seems
    to have a mind of its own sometimes.
    Geopelia, May 15, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jotevv$9qc$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <josqcr$u9t$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    > >> It's down at the bottom of the page, when I look up websites on Google.
    > >> It used to be always there.
    > >>
    > >> I need to move the page from side to side to read it all, with some
    > >> sites.
    > >> I can go on to 125% and 150% to get the scrollbar back, but it used to be
    > >> there at 100%
    > >> The other scrollbar is still there to move it up and down.

    > > So are we talking Internet Explorer, or Firefox or Google Chrome - a web
    > > browser?
    > >
    > > If it "fits" - you won't get a scrollbar - why would you? (it is not
    > > necessary and has no purpose - if it fits).
    > >

    > Internet Explorer. I need it because some parts are outside the screen, but
    > I can get them
    > when the scrollbar appears at 125%, so it doesn't really matter.
    >
    > I thought there might be something I could just click to get the scrollbar
    > back, but I couldn't find anything.
    >
    > Why would it disappear after being there for ten years? This computer seems
    > to have a mind of its own sometimes.

    Strange, IE 9 doesn't do that. I've just tested it, no idea what
    percentages it was at - just held the Ctrl key in and scrolled using the
    mouse scroll wheel. If it's too large to fit (sideways) the scrollbar
    shows, if not, it doesn't.

    And, I tested it in XP (Virtual PC), with IE8. So not sure what you
    mean, as you should be using Internet Explorer version 8.

    100% ...
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard08.jpg

    130% (horiz. scrollbar visible)
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard09.jpg

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, May 15, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Me Guest

    On 15/05/2012 10:43 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > The horizontal scrollbar often disappears if the size is 100% (down by the
    > clock.)
    > If I change to 125% or 150% it comes back.
    > It has just started doing this.
    >
    > I've tried Tools, View, Help etc. I've tried Google but that's all technical
    > stuff.
    >
    > Windows XP, Outlook Express
    >
    > Is there anything simple to click to fix it, or is it a job for the computer
    > man please?
    > I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.
    >
    > Geopelia

    It seems that this problem may not be unique.

    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/57465.aspx

    Possibly an add-on causing the issue, you might be able to find out if
    it is, and which one, by disabling add ons and re-enabling them one by
    one until the problem appears.

    Easiest option might be to make sure you're upgraded to the latest
    version of Internet Explorer, or install another web-browser. I tend to
    use Google Chrome these days, as it's fast and uncomplicated and does
    the trick and probably more secure than IE. Firefox is another popular
    option.
    Me, May 15, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <joubtq$iqq$>, , Me
    says...

    > On 15/05/2012 10:43 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > > The horizontal scrollbar often disappears if the size is 100% (down by the
    > > clock.)
    > > If I change to 125% or 150% it comes back.
    > > It has just started doing this.
    > >
    > > I've tried Tools, View, Help etc. I've tried Google but that's all technical
    > > stuff.
    > >
    > > Windows XP, Outlook Express
    > >
    > > Is there anything simple to click to fix it, or is it a job for the computer
    > > man please?
    > > I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > It seems that this problem may not be unique.
    >
    > http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/57465.aspx
    >
    > Possibly an add-on causing the issue, you might be able to find out if
    > it is, and which one, by disabling add ons and re-enabling them one by
    > one until the problem appears.
    >
    > Easiest option might be to make sure you're upgraded to the latest
    > version of Internet Explorer, or install another web-browser. I tend to
    > use Google Chrome these days, as it's fast and uncomplicated and does
    > the trick and probably more secure than IE. Firefox is another popular
    > option.

    Interesting, good spotting. Not sure I'd agree that Chrome is more
    secure than IE (certainly IE9) though. IE is one of the most secure
    browsers around thesedays. That said, I donn't think that's a major
    concern of Geo's anyway (don't think she visits pr0n and warez sites a
    lot :) ). Certainly though, it may be an easy solution for Geo, though
    I'm not sure she'll be keen to change (and learn) browsers! :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, May 15, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Me Guest

    On 16/05/2012 10:36 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article<joubtq$iqq$>, , Me
    > says...
    >>
    >> On 15/05/2012 10:43 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    >>> The horizontal scrollbar often disappears if the size is 100% (down by the
    >>> clock.)
    >>> If I change to 125% or 150% it comes back.
    >>> It has just started doing this.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried Tools, View, Help etc. I've tried Google but that's all technical
    >>> stuff.
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP, Outlook Express
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything simple to click to fix it, or is it a job for the computer
    >>> man please?
    >>> I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    >> It seems that this problem may not be unique.
    >>
    >> http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/57465.aspx
    >>
    >> Possibly an add-on causing the issue, you might be able to find out if
    >> it is, and which one, by disabling add ons and re-enabling them one by
    >> one until the problem appears.
    >>
    >> Easiest option might be to make sure you're upgraded to the latest
    >> version of Internet Explorer, or install another web-browser. I tend to
    >> use Google Chrome these days, as it's fast and uncomplicated and does
    >> the trick and probably more secure than IE. Firefox is another popular
    >> option.

    > Interesting, good spotting. Not sure I'd agree that Chrome is more
    > secure than IE (certainly IE9) though. IE is one of the most secure
    > browsers around thesedays. That said, I donn't think that's a major
    > concern of Geo's anyway (don't think she visits pr0n and warez sites a
    > lot :) ). Certainly though, it may be an easy solution for Geo, though
    > I'm not sure she'll be keen to change (and learn) browsers! :)

    It's been a while since I did any web stuff and programming, but in most
    browsers you can override default scroll bar behavior, make them funny
    colours etc. I thought that was a bit cool, in a goofy and useless kind
    of way, in about nineteen ninety something.
    Perhaps it's the sort of thing which would be better if it was locked
    down hard in the Windows API. Google annoys me ATM with their changes
    to Google News - they've made the scroll-bars extra skinny - so they're
    harder to get at. It probably increases browser window "real estate" by
    only a few pixels. Perhaps there's a useful reason why they've done
    this - it just seems dumb to me, but Google employ people much smarter
    than me so perhaps I'm the one who's wrong.
    Most times programmers seem to dick around with this stuff for no useful
    purpose - it's just decoration, and for many users, non-standard
    appearance and behaviour of standard objects just confuses them.
    Me, May 16, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <joubtq$iqq$>, , Me
    > says...
    >>
    >> On 15/05/2012 10:43 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    >> > The horizontal scrollbar often disappears if the size is 100% (down by
    >> > the
    >> > clock.)
    >> > If I change to 125% or 150% it comes back.
    >> > It has just started doing this.
    >> >
    >> > I've tried Tools, View, Help etc. I've tried Google but that's all
    >> > technical
    >> > stuff.
    >> >
    >> > Windows XP, Outlook Express
    >> >
    >> > Is there anything simple to click to fix it, or is it a job for the
    >> > computer
    >> > man please?
    >> > I can work around it if it's too difficult to fix simply.
    >> >
    >> > Geopelia
    >> >

    >> It seems that this problem may not be unique.
    >>
    >> http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/57465.aspx
    >>
    >> Possibly an add-on causing the issue, you might be able to find out if
    >> it is, and which one, by disabling add ons and re-enabling them one by
    >> one until the problem appears.
    >>
    >> Easiest option might be to make sure you're upgraded to the latest
    >> version of Internet Explorer, or install another web-browser. I tend to
    >> use Google Chrome these days, as it's fast and uncomplicated and does
    >> the trick and probably more secure than IE. Firefox is another popular
    >> option.

    > Interesting, good spotting. Not sure I'd agree that Chrome is more
    > secure than IE (certainly IE9) though. IE is one of the most secure
    > browsers around thesedays. That said, I donn't think that's a major
    > concern of Geo's anyway (don't think she visits pr0n and warez sites a
    > lot :) ). Certainly though, it may be an easy solution for Geo, though
    > I'm not sure she'll be keen to change (and learn) browsers! :)

    That's a good website, it seems I'm not the only one.
    I don't know enough to alter any add ons, I'll let the computer man deal
    with that.

    I use Full Screen for watching the Decorah Eagles, perhaps that caused the
    bar to get lost.
    (The eagle brought in a huge branch this morning, I should send her out to
    find the scrollbar!)

    No, I don't know pr0n and warez sites. Never heard of them.
    I think I've got IE8.
    I had enough trouble learning XP, after starting with ME.
    I suppose I'll have to get a later version when youtube leaves XP, but I'll
    leave that to the computer man.
    Trend Micro has a whole warning page in red print if a website is dangerous.

    We haven't got a mobile phone yet. How do the kids deal with all the stuff
    on those? And who pays for it all?
    (Do you think it is very rude when young visitors spend most of the time
    here texting on their mobiles? I do, but perhaps I'm just old fashioned. One
    good thing, it keeps them quiet so the adults can talk.)
    Geopelia, May 16, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > On 16/05/2012 10:36 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article<joubtq$iqq$>, , Me
    >> says...

    >>> It seems that this problem may not be unique.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/57465.aspx
    >>>
    >>> Possibly an add-on causing the issue, you might be able to find out if
    >>> it is, and which one, by disabling add ons and re-enabling them one by
    >>> one until the problem appears.
    >>>
    >>> Easiest option might be to make sure you're upgraded to the latest
    >>> version of Internet Explorer, or install another web-browser. I tend to
    >>> use Google Chrome these days, as it's fast and uncomplicated and does
    >>> the trick and probably more secure than IE. Firefox is another popular
    >>> option.

    >> Interesting, good spotting. Not sure I'd agree that Chrome is more
    >> secure than IE (certainly IE9) though. IE is one of the most secure
    >> browsers around thesedays. That said, I donn't think that's a major
    >> concern of Geo's anyway (don't think she visits pr0n and warez sites a
    >> lot :) ). Certainly though, it may be an easy solution for Geo, though
    >> I'm not sure she'll be keen to change (and learn) browsers! :)
    >>

    > It's been a while since I did any web stuff and programming, but in most
    > browsers you can override default scroll bar behavior, make them funny
    > colours etc. I thought that was a bit cool, in a goofy and useless kind
    > of way, in about nineteen ninety something.
    > Perhaps it's the sort of thing which would be better if it was locked down
    > hard in the Windows API. Google annoys me ATM with their changes to
    > Google News - they've made the scroll-bars extra skinny - so they're
    > harder to get at. It probably increases browser window "real estate" by
    > only a few pixels. Perhaps there's a useful reason why they've done
    > this - it just seems dumb to me, but Google employ people much smarter
    > than me so perhaps I'm the one who's wrong.
    > Most times programmers seem to dick around with this stuff for no useful
    > purpose - it's just decoration, and for many users, non-standard
    > appearance and behaviour of standard objects just confuses them.

    I'm confused enough already. Perhaps Hubby is wise, he won't learn the
    computer at all.
    I just print out articles for him and send his emails.
    I wouldn't be without it now, it's amazing what I find on Google.
    Geopelia, May 16, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    John Little Guest

    On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:34:19 PM UTC+12, Geopelia wrote:
    > ... Internet Explorer. I need it because some parts are
    > outside the screen...

    I don't use Internet explorer, rather Firefox, but facebook does that to me sometimes.

    If your mouse has sideways scrolling (some do) you may not be aware that it can. Try pushing the wheel sideways gently, and if it clicks you may get a sideways scroll.

    Regards, John
    John Little, May 16, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "John Little" <> wrote in message
    > On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:34:19 PM UTC+12, Geopelia wrote:
    >> ... Internet Explorer. I need it because some parts are
    >> outside the screen...

    > I don't use Internet explorer, rather Firefox, but facebook does that to
    > me sometimes.
    >
    > If your mouse has sideways scrolling (some do) you may not be aware that
    > it can. Try pushing the wheel sideways gently, and if it clicks you may
    > get a sideways scroll.
    >
    > Regards, John

    It does click but nothing else happens.
    Geopelia, May 16, 2012
  14. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jovg5q$5bl$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "John Little" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:34:19 PM UTC+12, Geopelia wrote:
    > >> ... Internet Explorer. I need it because some parts are
    > >> outside the screen...

    > > I don't use Internet explorer, rather Firefox, but facebook does that to
    > > me sometimes.
    > >
    > > If your mouse has sideways scrolling (some do) you may not be aware that
    > > it can. Try pushing the wheel sideways gently, and if it clicks you may
    > > get a sideways scroll.
    > >
    > > Regards, John

    > It does click but nothing else happens.

    What is an example page that this occurs on? (a link please).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, May 16, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jovg5q$5bl$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "John Little" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I don't use Internet explorer, rather Firefox, but facebook does that
    >> > me sometimes.
    >> >
    >> > If your mouse has sideways scrolling (some do) you may not be aware
    >> > that
    >> > it can. Try pushing the wheel sideways gently, and if it clicks you
    >> > may
    >> > get a sideways scroll.
    >> >
    >> > Regards, John

    >> It does click but nothing else happens.

    > What is an example page that this occurs on? (a link please).

    I'll send a link when it happens next.
    Geopelia, May 16, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jp0bml$55n$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <jovg5q$5bl$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "John Little" <> wrote in message

    > >> It does click but nothing else happens.

    > > What is an example page that this occurs on? (a link please).
    > >

    > I'll send a link when it happens next.

    Well if you don't know already, it sorta suggests it happens on random
    pages? If that's the case, it seems like reasonable evidence that is
    it, as someone else has suggested, an IE addon.

    So here's a test. When it happens, you grab that link - welcome to post
    it here, but more importantly, you can test it yourself. Click Start,
    All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-
    ons)...

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard10.jpg

    So start that (Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)) - and paste your link
    into the address bar and load up the page. Has the problem now gone?

    If so, you need to find the rogue Add-on and get rid of it.

    But do the test first - you find an offending page, and load that up in
    another copy of Internet Explorer (per above, the special one, that
    loads without *any* add-ons), and see if the problem still exists.

    Let us know how you get on.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, May 16, 2012