    Vista). We'd like to be able to set profiles, get RSSI, etc. for
    testing different configurations in an automated way. Is this possible
    on XP? If so, where should I look? WMI? Visual Basic? .bat scripts?
    skillzero, Apr 23, 2009

  2. skillzero

    Pavel A. Guest

    skillzero wrote:
    > Is it possible to script Wireless Zero Config on Windows XP SP3? It
    > looks like the netsh commands for wlan are missing on XP (but there on
    > Vista). We'd like to be able to set profiles, get RSSI, etc. for
    > testing different configurations in an automated way. Is this possible
    > on XP? If so, where should I look? WMI? Visual Basic? .bat scripts?

    WMI can give the RSSI and some other parameters.
    To set profiles... only Visual basic is your friend
    from the above list - or even better, Visual C.
    Of course, unless you have Centrino: PROSet has some WMI
    scriptable interface, if memory serves.

    regards,
    -- pa
    Pavel A., Apr 23, 2009

  3. skillzero

    skillzero Guest

    On Apr 23, 11:24 am, "Pavel A." <> wrote:

    > WMI can give the RSSI and some other parameters.
    > To set profiles... only Visual basic is your friend
    > from the above list - or even better, Visual C.
    > Of course, unless you have Centrino: PROSet has some WMI
    > scriptable interface, if memory serves.

    Thanks, it sounds like using the Wlan APIs from Visual C is the best
    option? If so, I can write a command line tool in C so normal .bat
    scripts can invoke it.

    BTW...If I wanted to use WMI, can you give an example of how I might
    get the RSSI? I've heard of WMI, but never used it so I'm not even
    sure how I would invoke it.
    skillzero, Apr 23, 2009
  4. skillzero

    Pavel A. Guest

    "skillzero" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 23, 11:24 am, "Pavel A." <> wrote:
    >
    >> WMI can give the RSSI and some other parameters.
    >> To set profiles... only Visual basic is your friend
    >> from the above list - or even better, Visual C.
    >> Of course, unless you have Centrino: PROSet has some WMI
    >> scriptable interface, if memory serves.

    > Thanks, it sounds like using the Wlan APIs from Visual C is the best
    > option? If so, I can write a command line tool in C so normal .bat
    > scripts can invoke it.
    >
    > BTW...If I wanted to use WMI, can you give an example of how I might
    > get the RSSI? I've heard of WMI, but never used it so I'm not even
    > sure how I would invoke it.

    The following vbscript demonstrates use of
    MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength
    WMI class. It should work on WinXP.

    ======
    Set wmi = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/wmi")
    On Error Resume Next
    Set AdapterSet = wmi.ExecQuery("select * from
    MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength")

    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Error from WMI:" & Err.Number
    Wscript.Quit 2
    End If

    For each wa in AdapterSet
    WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
    WScript.Echo "RSSI=", wa.Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength
    Next
    =========

    Regards,
    -- pa
    Pavel A., Apr 24, 2009
  5. skillzero

    skillzero Guest

    On Apr 24, 2:38 pm, "Pavel A." <> wrote:

    > The following vbscript demonstrates use of
    > MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength
    > WMI class. It  should work on WinXP.
    >
    > [...]

    Thanks!
    skillzero, Apr 25, 2009
  6. skillzero

    skillzero Guest

    On Apr 24, 2:38 pm, "Pavel A." <> wrote:
    > "skillzero" <> wrote in message

    > The following vbscript demonstrates use of
    > MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength
    > WMI class. It  should work on WinXP.
    >
    > ======
    > Set wmi = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/wmi")
    > On Error Resume Next
    > Set AdapterSet = wmi.ExecQuery("select * from
    > MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength")
    >
    >   If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    >     Wscript.Echo "Error from WMI:" & Err.Number
    >     Wscript.Quit 2
    >   End If
    >
    >   For each wa in AdapterSet
    >           WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
    >           WScript.Echo "RSSI=", wa.Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength
    >   Next
    > =========

    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you know how I could do the
    equivalent of the above script using the "wmic" command line tool? I
    recently found this and I can us it it to dump some basic info about
    the system (e.g. OS version), but I'm not sure how to get 802.11 info
    from it. I tried MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength and a few
    variants, but it always says "alias not found". Thanks.
    skillzero, Apr 30, 2009