    well, this started a few months ago and I really didn't pay much attention
    then, since I was leaving the computer on all the time. Any ideas?

    Bob
    Robert Rawlins, Oct 9, 2005

  2. On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:14:52 +0930, "Spammy Sammy"
    <> wrote:

    >Did you replace the CMOS battery with one that was good? Sounds stupid but
    >the replacement battery may not be all that you expected it to be.

    It doesn't sound stupid, it was the first thought that crossed my
    mind, but I don't think the battery should affect it much, if at all,
    when running, unless it is really bad, almost shorted.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Robert Rawlins

    A Guest

    I test CMOS batteries with a multimeter to check they give 3 volts. When low
    clock runs slow or fast and eventually CMOS settings are lost and you get F1
    after POST.

    A, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Robert Rawlins

    David Hough Guest

    Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:14:52 +0930, "Spammy Sammy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Did you replace the CMOS battery with one that was good? Sounds stupid but
    >> the replacement battery may not be all that you expected it to be.
    >>

    > It doesn't sound stupid, it was the first thought that crossed my
    > mind, but I don't think the battery should affect it much, if at all,
    > when running, unless it is really bad, almost shorted.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >> "Robert Rawlins" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've got a computer with a time problem. Not only does it lose time--the
    >>> clock virtually stops when the computer is off. I've already replaced the
    >>> CMOS battery. I must be missing something obvious. As far as what

    >> changed,
    >>> well, this started a few months ago and I really didn't pay much attention
    >>> then, since I was leaving the computer on all the time. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    Ah, actually,Tom, I worked with a tech that thought he'd go with
    replacement batteries, with a higher voltage, thinking it would be
    better. However, when the battery is higher than the power supply, then
    the clock, and other power drains will draw off the battery, until the
    battery gets down below the power supply, which will then take over.
    However, your battery is now 60% depleated in days.
    If they are rechargable batteries this is not so much of a problem,
    but I recommend that you use an exact replacement type. Dave
    David Hough, Oct 17, 2005
  5. On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:28:02 -0400, David Hough <>
    wrote:

    >Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:14:52 +0930, "Spammy Sammy"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Did you replace the CMOS battery with one that was good? Sounds stupid but
    >>> the replacement battery may not be all that you expected it to be.
    >>>

    >> It doesn't sound stupid, it was the first thought that crossed my
    >> mind, but I don't think the battery should affect it much, if at all,
    >> when running, unless it is really bad, almost shorted.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>
    >>> "Robert Rawlins" <> wrote in message
    >>> changed,

    >Ah, actually,Tom, I worked with a tech that thought he'd go with
    >replacement batteries, with a higher voltage, thinking it would be
    >better. However, when the battery is higher than the power supply, then
    >the clock, and other power drains will draw off the battery, until the
    >battery gets down below the power supply, which will then take over.
    >However, your battery is now 60% depleated in days.

    Hmmm...interesting scenario, and one that hadn't crossed my mind. I've
    never seen anything along those lines, but it certainly sounds
    plausible at least. It doesn't make sense to go with a higher voltage
    anyway; what kind of "tech" was he (Tim the Toolman)? More current
    capability at the correct voltage is fine, all other things being
    equal.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 18, 2005